Never Settle Stories - An Interview with Reggie

1. Charles C.
    Social Media Staff Member Nov 9, 2019

Charles C. , Nov 9, 2019 :
    Hello everyone,

As you might have seen, we released a new video recently. It is the first video in a series which aims to amplify the OnePlus spirit, create a platform for people to share their passion, and give something back to our community.

OnePlus was started with the ambition of making the best phone, one that we ourselves would want to use. We keep that passion alive by pushing ourselves. How can we tweak the software to make Warp Charge more efficient? How can we enhance the transparency and degree of reflectivity on the glass used for the OnePlus 6 to ensure an ultra-premium finish? These are the kind of questions that keep us at night. We push ourselves to the fullest. Empowered by your feedback, we aim to make a device that helps you enjoy your life, and pursue your passions to the fullest. Today, no matter where you are and what you want to do, if you hold that passion to live life to its fullest, we are with you on that journey.

One person who has that passion is Reggie (or Blacklight as he’s known to his fans), the star of the first video in the series. I caught up with him to get his thoughts on working alongside OnePlus, and our philosophy of empowering users to fully enjoy life.

1.png

Reggie AKA Blacklight has spent the last eight years of his life in Austin, Texas, and it’s the place where he calls home. He’s had the opportunity to live in dozens of places, which suggests an open mind and people that enter the music business generally aren’t shy or retiring. I ask Reggie how he would describe himself:

I describe myself as ambitious and unwavering. I’m passionate about everything I do. Making good music and seeing my family thrive are two of my biggest priorities, but I also want to make an impact on the world; leave it better than what my generation inherited.

His idealism is something that is also evident in OnePlus and our adherence to the Never Settle spirit. We always aim to provide a fast and smooth experience that allows users to do what they want to do, without getting slowed down. This is how I would describe OnePlus to people who are unfamiliar with the brand. In the same vein, I ask about his product—his music. How would he describe it?

I believe music should move people. I want to move people - sometimes even with the cold, hard realities of life, and sometimes with fun, in your face anthems. I’d also say that my music is a reflection of my daily slogan – Make a way for yourself, and don’t let anyone slow you down.

4.png

Certain aspects of this philosophy certainly resonate and overlap with OnePlus’. The similarities don’t end there though. The smartphone industry is cutthroat. OnePlus started business in a tough environment, one in which many of the big players are now faint shadows of their former selves. OnePlus entered this take-no-prisoners market with the unwavering belief of making a better phone, hand-in-hand with its users. What is it that leads BlackLight the musical artist to have the same unwavering belief? What compels him to keep going, especially in such a competitive industry like the music business?

I’m not in it just to crack the industry. First and foremost, I make my music for me, as a way to battle my own inner demons. I have my own insecurities, so I make music that helps me to overcome that. I want listeners to feel that confidence, too, and be motivated. In an industry as tough as this, knowing that at the end of the day, my music has a purpose keeps me going.

What does success look like for him, in his industry:

For me, success means doing what I love for a career and being financially secure, and having opportunities to positively affect the communities I’m a part of.

With OnePlus soon to celebrate its sixth anniversary, the way the brand presents itself is changing. Some of the things we did in the early days wouldn’t work so well as we have grown from a small team to medium-sized company. One thing that hasn’t changed though is our quest for authenticity. We strive to talk to our users like we’re on the same level—because we are. One way we achieve this sense of authenticity is by maintaining the close relationship we have with our community. As the star of the video, how does he feel about using real people rather than professional actors in this series of videos:

I think that in a world where everything seems so insincere, OnePlus using real people in their commercials is a huge step toward the authenticity that the world needs right now.

Knowing that it is a real person in the video, and not a professional actor, certainly lends a certain authenticity to the message of the video. Reggie had seen the finished film before we sat down for a chat, so I ask him what impression he wants people to have after seeing his video:

I love that the story line is so synonymous with my own life, and the story of millions of people. I hope the audience remembers dreams they once had, and are motivated to reinvent themselves.

2.png

Before we wind up our interview, we come full circle by touching, again, on Never Settle. Reggie says that he connects with the Never Settle mantra (‘settling isn’t an option for me’). I ask him what his own personal motto or philosophy is:

Make a way for yourself, and don’t let anyone slow you down.

With an answer like this, starring in a OnePlus video was simply meant to be.

Thanks for reading the interview. If you are curious to know more, check out BlackLight’s YouTube here.

Also, let us know what you think about the spirit and message of the video. This is the beginning of our news series which was motivated by our experiences we had meeting people online and at our events. We have heard countless inspiring and empowering stories, now that we have the voice and the resources, we’d like to give a space or a platform to some of these empowering stories. So, if you’ve got a story to tell or a passion to share with the world, let us know!

2. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 9, 2019

YRJ , Nov 9, 2019 :
    When are you stopping by for the interview? :D

That aside, I'd love to read many more stories from the community! All the best on the new series :)

3. manojsurya99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 11, 2019 at 5:53 AM

manojsurya99 , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Nov 11, 2019 at 5:53 AM :
    It would be easier to have interviewed than telling stories which might be endless.

YRJ likes this.
  4. Andy lone
    Gingerbread Nov 11, 2019 at 6:54 AM

5. S1565335824418
    Cupcake Nov 11, 2019 at 7:43 AM

6. Ak.
    Honeycomb Nov 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM

7. YRJ
    Lollipop Nov 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM

YRJ , Nov 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM :
    Cuz never Settle xD

Starcommander likes this.