#NeverSettleFilm - become a director for our new ad

1. GuptaAakash Gingerbread May 14, 2018

2. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich May 14, 2018

johnhart, May 14, 2018 :
    The message of these ads --

"At OnePlus we start with a lame concept. But because we Never Settle we ask our fans for input to improve our concept. Only in little ways. But since we don't tolerate feedback on the concept itself... we end up with a mildly altered lame concept."

Timmmmaaahh, G_plusone and PTuT like this.
  3. PJayy Froyo May 14, 2018

PJayy, May 14, 2018 :
    honestly

what do you want?

please reply with how you would make a cool and reasonable priced advert that brings in the community

smh

4. PJayy Froyo May 14, 2018

PJayy, May 14, 2018 :
    gotta play on same side haha

5. kuverti Gingerbread May 14, 2018

kuverti, May 14, 2018 :
    The astronaut is still missing a toxedo. also try putting in all your previous phones - as easter eggs

anishmaharjan likes this.
  6. Adam_balloon Gingerbread May 15, 2018

Adam_balloon, May 15, 2018 :
    No one asked, everyone here is having fun. Just because they didn't listen to you, their 'true' fan.

7. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich May 15, 2018

johnhart, May 15, 2018 :
    1. This ad is a series of ads. Even with slight alterations each round it's more expensive than one GOOD ad. So by proposing one good ad I've addressed the price issue.

2. You presume this ad is cool. It isn't.

Cool is a very tricky thing to define and so I'm not going to bother except to say it's a pass/fail thing. If most viewers want to rewatch your ad -- or unmute it when it goes by on TV -- that, in and of itself, is cool. For whatever reason.

It's important to understand that the coolest thing for someone using ads to sell their products is if the viewer engages with the ad vs. if the ad is cool itself. Just the fact you've made a viewer WOW or SMILE is the coolest thing possible.

Here's an ad that's odd but a jaw dropper. You actually look forward to seeing this stupid thing again. And I almost never remember who an ad is for but National did come to mind. And I really don't know how they managed that.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AauM/national-car-rental-suits-me-featuring-patrick-warburton

I'm not asking you to love that ad. Or say it's so cool. But it is an unmistakable pass. Meaning it passes as a good ad. Glass half full or better. (Personally I think it's a solid A but that's opinion.)

3. We know OnePlus. Most humans off this board have never EVER heard of it. Trust me. When I show my OnePlus to people they're like, "What kind of Samsung is that?" The brand recognition is that bad.

So what OnePlus is doing right here is trying to differentiate themselves. Where other companies show you a phone floating about and spinning and shining in the sun and snapping photos... generic crepe... OnePlus shows you something different. That's very smart since more and more phones are looking like each other.

(And that some companies are stupid enough to copy features from other phones... like a notch... making differentiation pointless. Ahem. I digress.)

The problem is that they don't show the product but a Cirque Du Soliel Community Theatre production. They say, "We care less about our phones and more about our community input. And that our community is made up of millennial kids!"

OnePlus isn't at a place where it can not show the phone. Yet. Or ask viewers to devote attention over a span of many ads. They haven't earn that yet.

4. In good writing/advertising there is clarity. OnePlus has one chance to get one message across. The stated message they've chosen: we at OnePlus listen to our community to make everything better... whether it's our phones or even our ads... because we never settle with our own opinions. That's basically it, right?

Since ads (like this one) deploy subtext... the message alters slightly. "We at OnePlus listen to our young and hip community to make everything better... and sexy... and silly... whether it's our phones or even our ads... because we never settle with our own opinions." Basically the same message, which is fine.

So over the course of fiverewrites I basically see the same message. FAIL. The changes are not memorably dramatic. And so OP claims to take community opinions seriously but then fail to demonstrate seriously different opinions.

If the boxers became Trump and Obama OR Wonder Woman and Thanos -- OH YEAH -- people would notice a difference. But the small subtle changes send an accidental message -- the one I outlined above. That at OnePlus we pretend to invite opinions providing they are teeny tiny changes to the original concept.

If you can't see this it can't be explained to you.

5. Since most people (in America anyway) do not understand that OnePlus is a phone brand no matter what you do that phone should never leave the screen. EVER.

Yes. I know. This ad isn't about revealing the phone. Fine. The entire concept of this ad could have been about the box the phone comes in. A box in black with the OnePlus logo and the number 6. The ad asks the community to make the box more interesting. The ad begs the community to think outside of the box while making the box itself better.

The point here is that focus would be on the phone box. If the series of ads played out right... the viewer would end up WANTING that box for some irrational reason. But always focused on that box instead of some pinhead stacking red cups. wtfisthat...

6. A core problem here is that OP didn't listen to the community about the notch. And so the ad is a deceit. Hey, ads lie all the time. But I'm not the one defending this turkey. You are.

Last edited: May 15, 2018

Timmmmaaahh and G_plusone like this.
  8. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich May 15, 2018

johnhart, May 15, 2018 :
    Ad hominem means you have nothing meaningful to add. It's not about me.

By the by, OnePlus DOES ask. Remember? They're allegedly the company that cares about user input. But it seems if you offer unapproving input you get criticized for doing so by the likes of you.

Thanks for making my point.

Timmmmaaahh likes this.
  9. Adam_balloon Gingerbread May 15, 2018

it's more about people taking shit too seriously that pisses me off. They are just having some fun with their fans, relax dude. cool

Wahoux likes this.
  10. PTuT Jelly Bean May 15, 2018

11. dorando90 Gingerbread May 15, 2018

Crystal Z. likes this.
  12. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich May 15, 2018

johnhart, May 15, 2018 :
    So if you're pissed off you're not taking things too seriously?

13. Adam_balloon Gingerbread May 15, 2018

:tearsofjoy: didn't even notice that................................................................................................. No words can describe the disappointment in my accidental irony.

14. Ashish Poudel Honeycomb May 15, 2018

Ashish Poudel, May 15, 2018 :
    Even if I said this earlier , they are not going to remove this . : )

Ramlal_Jhadav likes this.
  15. G_Sai_Raina_syku Jelly Bean May 15, 2018

G_Sai_Raina_syku, May 15, 2018 :
    Obviously no company would do that.
    Infact many were against the notch still they went ahead with it.

Ashish Poudel likes this.
  16. Ashish Poudel Honeycomb May 15, 2018

Ashish Poudel, May 15, 2018 :
    But they need to listen their customer.

Ramlal_Jhadav likes this.
  17. Shuffler505 Jelly Bean May 16, 2018

18. aris Jelly Bean May 16, 2018

19. SubhashNayak Honeycomb May 17, 2018

SubhashNayak, May 17, 2018 :
    And this idea was added and showed in the launch of OnePlus 6!! Thanku @Carl #NeverSettleFilm #TheSpeedYouNeed #BurdenlessExperience #OnePlus6

20. makseem Froyo May 17, 2018