New Folder Behavior, and Folder-Icon Customization

1. TripleEYE
    Froyo Sep 21, 2017

TripleEYE , Sep 21, 2017 :
    I've been trying to find where the best place to post this is, and I just can't pinpoint it.
    I originally tried posting this as a bug report, but there's barely any room to type in the feedback system.
    Part of this is a feature request Soni looked for where to put a feature request but couldn't find a forum for it and people kept referring me to the feedback system, where there only seems to be a way to post bug reports, and not feature requests. And again, there's barely any room to type there.

So I'm posting it here. Please forgive me for not managing to find the right place. I welcome moderators to move this to the right place.
    But either way, this is both a bug report, or rather an unwelcomed feature report, and a new feature request.

Again... Please don't scold me for posting my opinion here :oops:
    Personally, I think this new updates-per-app move is great and I very much welcome it!

I love the OnePlus launcher! :) I was extremely and very positively surprised when I got my OnePlus 5, that the company not only allows for the uninstallation of the native launcher, but also offers a launcher so good that I never even considered a third-party launcher, let alone uninstalling this great launcher. For me, that's a first :D

However...
    I really don't like this specific new update:(. The new folder behavior is awful o_O.
    Before, when I opened a folder, the icons where all close to the spot where I tapped. Very reachable and practical. Now, they are spread all over the screen, they are too spaced out, and they are not at all close to the spot my finger lands on when tapping to open the folder. I see it as a colossal waste of screen real estate. It makes the hand work harder to get to the desired item, and it is uncomfortable.
    And even worse: If I have more than 6 items in the folder, I need to scroll to get to the extra items:confused:

The new folder icons are OK, but I would prefer to be able to toggle the folder icon and the way it looks, between the new way and the old way, on a per folder basis (or at all for that matter!).

In fact, I have been meaning to email a feature requests for quite some time:
    Please please please, :oops:make it possible to customize the folder icons from an installed icon pack!:rolleyes:
    Just like the user can currently change the icon of an app to an icon from an icon pack, we want to be able to change the icon of folders too. Make them look like apps with the icon of our choice, that when we tap on them, a folder opens (in the old/new folder behavior, according to a pre-configured user setting).

And while we're at it... :cool:
    Please allow to change icons of homescreen-shortcuts (like the chrome web page shortcut for example. Or the quick action shortcuts that can be dragged from the long-tap menu of apps). Right now, these icons are not configurable, and in my opinion, it hinders on the cohesive personalized look for the phone.

It could also be great if when we change the icon of an app, it changes to that icon in the notification curtain as well. I really like that it changes in the app drawer, but it would be nice to have it change in the notification curtain as well. However, that is less important than being able to change folder icons & behavior to our liking.

This launcher is great, really, but the lack of folder icon personalization and this new update to folder behavior forces me to give it only 3 stars on Google Play.
    Once these personalization features are in, I intend to upgrade the rating to 5 stars :rolleyes:
    For what it's worth, the two finger slide feature is wonderful! :D

Now, I request that if you're reading this, please don't suggest a downgrade. I've roamed around the feedback forums, and it seems there are plenty of people considering this new folder behavior a bug and looking for a setting to switch it back to the old way.
    An update should work FOR the users, not against them. Also, I have suggested new features here and a downgrade won't offer those either.

If you read this far, I thank you for your patience.
    And I am hoping that OnePlus knows how to take constructive criticism in a positive manner, and propel it in a way that allows the company to elevate the product.

Thank you for all the effort in the development of the OnePlus products :);)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

2. F_Xinyi_Zheng_lndO
    Donut Sep 22, 2017

F_Xinyi_Zheng_lndO , Sep 22, 2017 :
    you same, i thought I pressed some random button that caused it. Then I realized it was an update. This update gets me freak out where all the apps are spread out.

G_Aaron_Lingnau_jpdZ likes this.
  3. G_ahmed_almnaseer_VPXT
    Cupcake Sep 22, 2017

4. lordsauron910
    Donut Sep 22, 2017

5. TripleEYE
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

6. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Sep 22, 2017

pa5t1s , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Thanks for your input ;)
    BTW, altho I don't own a OP5, this 'folder' thing is actually nothing, as it seems to be *not* OnePlus-specific: on my other non-OP phones, running Android Nougat, it's already working this way: a full-screen display with icons centered in it.
    I can't understand what is the problem about that... Does it lower the functionalities of your device? does it slow it down?
    Much ado for nothing imo.

7. G_Kunal_Taliyan_nWOu
    Eclair Sep 22, 2017

8. pa5t1s

pa5t1s , Sep 22, 2017 :
    You can't. It's not a feature, it's design.

9. TripleEYE
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

TripleEYE , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I have already detailed an explanation of why this is a problem. It makes for less accessibility. The icons are all spread across the screen, they are not as close to where the finger tapped to open the folder as they used to be. It is not as accessible and frankly a waste of screen real estate. And on top of all that, needing to scroll for any items above 6 in a folder is ridiculous and unnecessary.
    Maybe just maybe if you could swipe left & right to see other folders on the homescreen... Maybe then there would be any added value.

At the very least, and really this is the VERY least, there should be a setting to toggle the configuration of this folder behavior between this new and old styles.

Also, "others are doing it" doesn't make it better, or right. There should be a choice for the user. It shouldn't be forced upon us since it in no way improves functionality. Just look around the forums. Even this very thread... I have posted this less than 24 hours ago and already people are commenting that they dislike this feature. And it's even stronger in other threads.

10. TripleEYE
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

Also I will just make a note that I have also suggested other features here, such as folder icon personalization. Just pointing out... I realize your response wasn't about that :)

pa5t1s likes this.
  11. pa5t1s

pa5t1s , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I got your point, but, sincerely, it's a non-problem asking for non-solutions.
    There are more serious and urgent bugs to fix before adding some kind of 'settings' to that. OnePlus is not a company specialized in Launchers as Nova could be, for example.
    There are so many other important things 'forced upon us' (as you said) that this one is literally unnoticeable.
    About other 'whining' threads? well, guess my opinion... [​IMG]

12. TripleEYE
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

Though true, as a designer I will argue that a design can and sometimes is a feature.
    You can't go back to the other one at the moment, but in this case you should be able to.
    I truly hope they take our input seriously and make this more configurable in the next update.

13. pa5t1s

pa5t1s , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Yes, there are many things possible...provided you have time and enough employees. OnePlus is flooding a lot of money in advertising and marketing BS, not developpement... That may explain...

14. pa5t1s

pa5t1s , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Maybe yes, maybe not... everything's possible with OP, and the contrary too...

15. TripleEYE
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

Wow... I don't believe that was quite a nice way of putting things.
    I am giving my input and there are plenty of other people complaining about this. It is the users' right to give this feedback. In fact it is a very positive process in the big picture.

As far as other more important things and features to implement, I agree. But that doesn't mean that it is ok to release an update like this and then not put the correction that the users are asking for, at least on the list. And honestly in my opinion it has to be dealt with, not just put on the list either.

Also, no one is saying this change needs to happen tomorrow, I'm just saying it should be there less than a year from now. As in, soon. Because after all this is a mere correction to an update. You disagree. That's fine. But let us voice our opinions without dismissing them as whining.

The company implemented a change, a lot of people dislike it; it is only good customer service to listen to that and make a small adjustment to allow for a switch.
    You say thank you for your input, but then you bluntly dismiss it :/

I understand that OnePlus is not the biggest company, but the price went up and the users expect a better faster implementation of such things too.

I got your opinion. It seems negative from where I'm standing.
    I sure hope that OnePlus as a company doesn't dismiss users' feedback as whining like you just did.
    This input is relevant. And the feature suggestions too.
    I started with a very positive view on this company, and I don't want that to change because of an impression that the company doesn't listen to it's customers.

So far, they at least took my bug report in, so they said. So I intend on staying hopeful.

mehul115 and pradski3000 like this.
  16. Pierre Marsy
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

Pierre Marsy , Sep 22, 2017 :
    excuse me, but I share

I totally agree with TripleEYE.
    This new folder view is anything but a good idea.
    Why did they decide to show only 9 files while the screen allows to have 25 ?
    It's clearly a regression

17. F_Gaurav_Jagannath_zyKF
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2017

TripleEYE likes this.
  18. Noosiekins
    Cupcake Sep 22, 2017

Noosiekins , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Soooo I woke up this morning and saw this change... THEY better revert back. It's hella annoying!

mehul115 and pradski3000 like this.
  19. Zabulon
    Donut Sep 22, 2017

Zabulon , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I a hundred percent agree. I have three folders in my tray and what used to be a simple two taps to get to what I want has no become a tap, a phone/hand readjust, then another tap. Not to mention it feels like folders now take longer to open. This is really inconvenient!

kaycc1105 and Noosiekins like this.
  20. MrJaggerjack
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2017