New Folder Behavior, and Folder-Icon Customization

1. G_Aaron_Lingnau_jpdZ
    Donut Oct 1, 2017

2. pradski3000
    Donut Oct 1, 2017

pradski3000 , Oct 1, 2017 :
    I've been told I can upgrade but remove he launcher update via APK. so that makes me happy if it works.

as for this not being a 'feature' it's the whole thing. it's the interface. the thing u have to interact with to get anything done. it's one of the most important things since u spend time interacting with it each and every day. we came to Oneplus for multiple reasons and so it would be nice to see how many people prefer one over the other.

at least give us the choice and promote the way u can retain the previous launcher

3. G_Aaron_Lingnau_jpdZ
    Donut Oct 1, 2017

G_Aaron_Lingnau_jpdZ , Oct 1, 2017 :
    This was a big enough issue for me that I went back to Nova Launcher. I hadn't used it since my Nexus, it's far nicer than the new 1+ launcher IMO

TripleEYE likes this.
  4. Nithin_Joseph
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2017

Nithin_Joseph , Oct 1, 2017 :
    Roll back to a previous version of the launcher.
    When I flashed 4.5.0, I got the version 2.1.1 so I don't have the said new folder design - although I did like it while I was on OpenBeta.

You can find oneplus launcher v. 2.1.1 on websites (I'm guessing apkmirror has it)

5. mattam24
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2017

mattam24 , Oct 1, 2017 :
    Yes, uninstalling and reinstalling the launcher resets all the icons and wallpaper to its factory status. :-(

TripleEYE likes this.
  6. TripleEYE
    Froyo Oct 1, 2017

TripleEYE , Oct 1, 2017 :
    I really shouldn't have to though. And what happens after a few update rollouts for the launcher? I am forever stuck with an old version?
    There should be a toggle option. Built in. There really should.

7. Nithin_Joseph
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2017

Nithin_Joseph , Oct 1, 2017 :
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can update Oneplus apps via the play store so, that is independent of the software version you are in, provided your device supports it.

8. TripleEYE
    Froyo Oct 1, 2017

TripleEYE , Oct 1, 2017 :
    You are absolutely right, yes.
    My post was solely about the launcher on it's current state.
    However i will point out that being able to update it on its own doesn't change how this specific first update is cutting off many of its audience.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

9. Pierre Marsy
    Froyo Oct 2, 2017

Pierre Marsy , Oct 2, 2017 :
    Well, finally I didn't have to use the apk file. I just uninstalled the update from the application settings. It restored the previous display but, with all parameters reset, I had to recreate all the icons and folders.

I took the opportunity to test Nova launcher, which can be installed in parallel with that of OnePlus. It is rather nice and more configurable (you can for example choose the number of icons per rows and columns). Nevertheless it doesn't have the shell (on the left of the home page).

10. Pierre Marsy
    Froyo Oct 2, 2017

Pierre Marsy , Oct 2, 2017 :
    You have then to uncheck the automatic update option for OnePlus launcher in the Google Playstore

11. omriamos
    Cupcake Oct 5, 2017

omriamos , Oct 5, 2017 :
    This new folder view is simply terrible, it's a deal breaker and I'm going back to nova launcher at least until this is fixed.

12. TripleEYE
    Froyo Nov 7, 2017

TripleEYE , Nov 7, 2017 :
    Hmm... There's a new update with folder behavior improvements. It's not at all perfect and to be honest they haven't changed much or enough. No way to go back to the old view either.
    But this "slide to exit folder" is an improvement.
    I just wish they would allow for folder-icon customization.

13. andybryant
    Donut Feb 21, 2018

andybryant , Feb 21, 2018 :
    Agreed with the dislike of the folder view.

When .I pop open a folder the icons for the included apps should be close... Not at the bottom of the screen.

Also the tiny view of contents within the folder in the icon isn't good. I'd be happier with the Google launcher way of showing the top app in the folder, so I could choose a representative icon for the folder.

A.

14. Mickeyman
    Cupcake Nov 8, 2018