Nexus 5x or OnePlus 2?

1. bertie.obrien
    Cupcake Jan 22, 2016

bertie.obrien , Jan 22, 2016 :
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new, budget smartphone and I've narrowed down my decision to the Nexus 5x or Oneplus 2.

I'm looking for a fast and smooth phone that runs high end games smoothly, and has no lag in apps(especially Chrome and YouTube) or on the homescreen. And I'm not that worried about NFC, camera quality or fast/wireless charging. I don't use those features much anyway.

On paper, the Oneplus 2 looks a lot better (4gb ram, etc), but I've heard that the OS and home button can be laggy at times. It is now 2016, so I'm not sure if any updates have solved this.

On the flipside is the Nexus 5x, which has less power, but seems to run very smoothly on Marshmallow, and has more regular support from Google.

So which is the better phone? Has the Oneplus 2 fixed its issues?

Thanks

2. andrejcek
    Eclair Jan 22, 2016

Tannyosaki likes this.
  3. killing.devil
    Honeycomb Jan 22, 2016

4. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Jan 22, 2016

Ceasedd , Jan 22, 2016 :
    OP2

5. mfinch35
    Froyo Jan 22, 2016

Eshan_Anand likes this.
  6. shrineels10
    Honeycomb Jan 22, 2016

shrineels10 , Jan 22, 2016 :
    To be neutral,

OPT has a lot of bugs, almost all software related indeed and we are awaiting fixes and OS upgrade. Hardware bug seems to be the fingerprint scanner going unresponsive / Dead (of which we see a lot of complains)
    Nexus is not a perfect phone either and has a few bugs too.

WRT updates i will stick to Nexus which rush stock android as Google is faster and has more technical power as a company to put up updates more periodically

WRT hardware, I would stick with the OPT which is better on paper. The hardware is definitely solid and hopefully the software that would come in the future should be able to tap into the full potential. If you are interested in custom roms, then the software should not be a very big deal breaker.

Battery: OPT. But the nexus doesnt score bad if you are carrying a powerbank around.

Storage: OPT- comes with 64 GB. Nexus 32 GB is 25% more expensive (Atleast in india) and both are non expandable. So the bigger the better especially if you are a person who stores music and data a lot.

MOST IMPORTANT:
    when it comes to serviceability and spares, find out which is better for you. NEXUS is an LG product. If you have access to them then it will not be a problem.

OPT has a long toilet paper roll long list of complaints when it comes to service and spares but we are hoping this would become ok soon as the company grows further.But if you get a phone that did not conk off, then OPT can do well for you too.

Overall, if you have OP serviceability in your region, then OPT.
    IF you want a 32 Gig N5x, you might think of spending another $70 for the N6P which is overall a better phone than both the other two in consideration.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

7. pfronczak
    Donut Jan 22, 2016

pfronczak , Jan 22, 2016 :
    Hi,

I'm using OP2, my wife uses Nexus 5X and I would say that:
    • they are both definitely more than capable of running day-to-day apps (Chrome, Youtube, Facebook etc.) without any noticeable lags
    • I wouldn't know about any of the high-end games (I only play casuals, and again - no problems there)
    • Nexus is more compact: noticeably lighter and of course smaller, but feels a bit "plasticky" (especially the side buttons)
    • OP2 is heavier but has a more "premium" look and feel
    • Nexus's fingerprint sensor is way better than OP2's (and its position on the back is absolutely perfect)
    • OP2 has 2 SIM slots which was a factor for me
    • Nexus has all the latest Android updates, but I can't complain about OP2's releases either - their lollipop works well for me.
    If I were to chose again today, I think I would still go for OP2.

Adityaf likes this.
  8. shrineels10
    Honeycomb Jan 22, 2016

shrineels10 , Jan 22, 2016 :
    I found placing Fingerprint sensor at the back was not so friendly especially when using the smart unlock feature with the phone in a dock or mount or when kept on a surface (as one will have to lift the phone and then use the FP sensor.

9. Bharath HT
    KitKat Jan 22, 2016

10. NaterTots
    Jelly Bean Jan 22, 2016

NaterTots , Jan 22, 2016 :
    5X.

The Op2 is limited to only 2 large cores running at a time which essentially makes it into a SD808 which is in the 5X.
    Software updates with the Nexus are far superior to the Op2.
    The Op2 is behind HTC and Samsung in regards to getting Marshmallow to their respective flagships.

Even with 4GB of ram the Op2 gets awful laggy at times.

Oh the Nexus has NFC.;)

11. ApostolosManolopoulos
    Donut Jan 22, 2016

p51d007 and biohazard369 like this.
  12. bonnygeorgea
    Honeycomb Jan 22, 2016

biohazard369, Hadas90 and shrineels10 like this.
  13. MafiaTechTeam
    Jelly Bean Jan 22, 2016

MafiaTechTeam , Jan 22, 2016 :
    This is too make better battery life and less heat during normal usage

14. sfomin
    Nougat Jan 22, 2016

Takendown, p51d007 and nyzproof333 like this.
  15. iPusak Gaoq™
    Jelly Bean Jan 22, 2016

iPusak Gaoq™ , Jan 22, 2016 :
    Nexus 5X....it can withstand at least 2 official android updates (android N & O) compare with OP2....

p51d007 and nyzproof333 like this.
  16. fishbits
    Cupcake Jan 22, 2016

fishbits , Jan 22, 2016 :
    At this moment, after using OP2 since the release in August last year, I would say to NOT BUY this crap. Cant say how many issues I already faced, since language from my country not available, problems in the instability of software (made all updates and follow the forum since the beggining). I would NEVER buy any Oneplus phone based in my experience, and regret deeply for not have bought a Huawei phone that was similar price at the time, and a lot of happy customers that use it until nowadays and never complained.

p51d007, biohazard369 and Mistic like this.
  17. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Jan 22, 2016

ChrisTerp , Jan 22, 2016 :
    Or you can get the Nexus 6, they're selling cheap now. I have one for almost a year now and enjoy it. Also have the OnePlus One that I like too.

nyzproof333 and biohazard369 like this.
  18. Adityaf
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 22, 2016

Adityaf , Jan 22, 2016 :
    If you use your phone keeping it on table. I would recommend opt. Coz fingerprint scanner is on front.

19. jp_1plus
    Honeycomb Jan 22, 2016

jp_1plus , Jan 22, 2016 :
    Nexus all the way.

With the issues the OnePlus 2 is having, that is reason alone.

p51d007 likes this.
  20. livepix
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 22, 2016

livepix , Jan 22, 2016 :
    Support + updates = Nexus and think about warranty (RMA.. )