Other Nexus 5x to Oneplus 5t

1. Azafran
    Cupcake Dec 13, 2017

Azafran , Dec 13, 2017 :
    Has anyone gone from a Nexus 5x to a oneplus 5t (or a 5 even) and if so what are your thoughts? Are you happy you made the decision or do you wish you'd have gone for a pixel instead (despite the known issues with it)? What are the pros and cons you've gotten from the change?
    Thanks

2. Q1508649475849
    Gingerbread Dec 13, 2017

Q1508649475849 , Dec 13, 2017 :
    i went from n5x to OP5.

performance and battery life is absolutely not comparable. op5 is just incredibly fast, but without the annoying heating from the cpu.

music quality through headphones and bt is better.

only thing is the camera, which is no strenght of the op5, but it got better with the oreo beta.

you will eventually miss the fast updates from google, but the oos features are more important for me. i used aospa on my n5x anyways.

if a genius camera and Long support (3years) worth spending much more to you, you should get the pixel 2. if money is short and you like the feeling of having allways enough ram, get op5

3. JayRoc80
    Cupcake Dec 13, 2017

JayRoc80 , Dec 13, 2017 :
    I also came from a 5X. In fact, I've always ONLY owned Nexus phones. I thought it would take me a while to adapt but the 5T is just soo customizable that you can configure it to be a very familiar look and feel as pure Android. OxygenOs gets a big thumbs up from me.

Argovejo likes this.
  4. G_Nick_T_FTnG
    Gingerbread Dec 15, 2017

G_Nick_T_FTnG , Dec 15, 2017 :
    I came from a Nexus 5... my wife still uses a 5x so I can compare them side by side

1. Battery Life is phenomenal on the 5T, and charging is incredibly fast. The 5X doesn't even compare in this category.
    Winner: 5T
    2. Screen on the 5T is AMOLED, 5x is IPS LCD. I prefer AMOLED as the colours appear more brilliant to me.
    Winner: 5T
    3. Camera is obvious here. The camera seems more powerful in the 5T, but Google's camera software makes 5x better.
    Winner: 5X
    4. Software updates is obvious here, it will always be Google, but, since you're comparing the 5X, which may not see another update, I'll consider this one a tie.
    TIE
    5. Phone: I'll give this one to Google. Their Dialer/Contacts/Messaging apps are better than the 5T's in my opinion. The 5T's swipe down to answer and swipe up to reject is completely reverse from every other app out there, and Google's own stock dialer. Others might like it, but I think its terrible. And google's integration across apps makes me wish that OP should have left the core apps, or at least their functionality to Google.
    Winner: 5X

So I guess overall, its a tie, but I guess its based on personal preference. Honestly the OnePlus 5T is a great phone, but right now the Swiping has me wishing I bought a Pixel 2 (obviously more expensive). I use both WhatsApp and the dialer to answer voice calls, and take several of each a day. So unless I pause and actually think about which app is presenting me the call and remember which swipe is what, I end up rejecting more calls accidentally.

At any rate. Would I buy it again? Tough one. Different things are important different people. And therefore one of two things would have to happen before I buy one again:

1. OnePlus reverses course and actually leaves the core apps, or at least their functionality to Google, or makes the phone compatible with the Google Dialer app on the play store so we can download and use it without modification.

or

2. Google decides, and therefore every other app out there follows suit, to make swipe down to answer.

I'm guessing 2 will never happen. So unless 1 happens... for me... I'd rather fall in line with mainstream.

F_Harish_Hari_uCuB and aykut39 like this.
  5. Wayne49
    Donut Dec 15, 2017

Wayne49 , Dec 15, 2017 :
    I just purchased a 5T yesterday PM and it has not shipped yet. I'm currently have Nexus 5x and had my upgrade options down to Pixel 2 or 5T. If I'd seen this thread before purchasing I'd have gone with the Pixel.

Since ordering yesterday I've been looking at migrating SMS, Photos, Music and Videos from the 5x to the 5T. A real pain. OnePlus needs to provide migration support for phone data. Contacts are no big deal for me as I keep everything in Google, the rest is not going to be fun and I'm not looking forward to the day I wipe my 5x before setting it up for my wife.

Also, the OnePlus approach to the answering / declining phone calls is just plain dumb IMHO. My wife is flumixed by the phone app on my old Nexus 5. The prospect of having to learn OnePlus backwards approach should be fun. I say backwards as the first in the pool sets the direction you swim:(:(

6. EMP335
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2017

EMP335 , Dec 15, 2017 :
    I was a Nexus user since the beginning of the brand.

Would probably stick with pure Google experience if it wasn't for the Pixel's poor value for money and lack of headphone jack on the latest variants.

OnePlus was always on my radar though and now that I own the 5T I must say, I'm Extremely Satisfied, the phone is simply amazing.

As mentioned before in this thread, you'll need to wait a bit longer for latest OS updates but other than that it's almost pure android with some mods that are actually more than welcome.

Strongly recommend to anyone looking for a Nexus replacement.