nfc issue with abbott freestyle libre sensor. glucose monitoring for diabetes

1. Acrobatis7
    Donut Feb 3, 2018

Acrobatis7 , Feb 3, 2018 :
    hey forum.

i have just purchased a oneplus 5 8/128 and i am having a bit of an issue with the sensor i use to monitor my diabetes via nfc.
    the sensor is called abbott freestyle libre and it uses nfc tech to transfer data to its own monitoring device.
    it is often a lot more comfortable to use my mobile phone than the original device. the app that im using to do so is called glimp and can be found in the app store.
    the previous phone i was using had no issue and could receive the data very quickly and with no issues. previous device was v20 lg.
    the oneplus 3t i had in the past had no issue as well.

any others that experience the same or similar problem?

2. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Feb 3, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , Feb 3, 2018 :
    Hey, what's the issue exactly? Does it receive data at all? Or is it just really slow. Just to be sure, the NFC antenna on the 5 and 5t is located at the small line above the back camera

Acrobatis7 likes this.
  3. Acrobatis7
    Donut Feb 3, 2018

Acrobatis7 , Feb 3, 2018 :
    Thanks for the quick reply. Havent been so used to being answered right away.

Yes. I know where the NFC antenna is. And to compare it with the V20s (which was all around the dual camera setup in the back), its kinda small (tiny I would say). But should work fine. In the 1+3T I had in the past, it worked as good as with the V20.

It behaves like it looses the signal.

How it should work is this:
    When you approach the sensor the app (glimp) makes a sound and vibrates once.
    After half a second it beeps again and vibrates again once.
    The first vibration is that it recognized that there is a sensor nearby ans starts the data reception process.
    The second vibration is that the data reception has been finished and the glucose values should be on display in the chart in the main app window.

Occasionally after the first vibration there is a pause and an extended vibration if for some reason the data transfer has been interrupted.

What i have noticed and how i managed to work around the problem:
    When the first vibration occurs i instantly get the phone away from the sensor, wait a second, and then get it close to the sensor again. That way i have the two short vibrations and i get the values, but its just stupid to do it that way. (we supposed to be in a 835 era and not act as neanderthals)

Im guessing the problem is because of the tiny antenna.

I just want to know if there is a way either to fix it, or maybe even to boost the antennas power with some sort of way. Or if other people who use the glimp app with the Libre sensor figured another way.

Thank you in advance.

4. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , Feb 4, 2018 :
    All right, seems like it could be the size of the antenna. I wouldn't really know a fix but you could contact oneplus and maybe the company making the meter. Could be a software compatibility thing. NFC should work fast and reliable normally indeed

5. polvinardell
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2018

polvinardell , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Hi all,
    I am just having same issue, but using android 8.1 it was no problem. Today I have upgraded to android 9.0 and the the app is not working weel. Maybe 1 time every 10, or after restarting the phone works.
    Thank you in advance.

6. alec999
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2018

alec999 , Dec 3, 2018 :
    Having the same issue with my one plus 5 phone. I cannot register it and yet using the wife's Samsung A5 is ok I also have issues with my nest security camera. It fails to turn off when I come home or turn on when I leave and the Samsung phone is ok. My next phone will be a Samsung as I got nowhere with OnePlus support team.

7. polvinardell
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2018

polvinardell , Dec 12, 2018 :
    Same here.
    It worked perfect with android 8.x. But since the last update to Android 9 I have been facing the problem.

In my case it is solved disenabling and enabling again nfc and Bluetooth (not 100% works).

Regards.

8. titus91
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2018

titus91 , Dec 31, 2018 :
    Same problem here. The official LibreLink App does not work any more with Android Pie on the OP5. Would be great to get a fix soon...

9. G_Younesse_RAISSOUNI_QIv
    Eclair Jan 23, 2019

G_Younesse_RAISSOUNI_QIv , Jan 23, 2019 :
    I have the same problem. First time i tried to scan the glimp app showed à message that the nfc on my phone could damage thé sensor. It costs 40€.. I have to Try 3 to 4 times to get à résult with 15% différence with thé Official reader. Thats make thé nfc useless. Could someone help me please

10. G_Younesse_RAISSOUNI_QIv
    Eclair Jan 24, 2019

G_Younesse_RAISSOUNI_QIv , Jan 24, 2019 :
    1548288480289.jpg
    That is the message on the glimp app !!!
    Sould i stop using the phone ?
    Its a serious mattter the nfc could give me misreadings that could affect my health

11. G_Younesse_RAISSOUNI_QIv
    Eclair Jan 28, 2019

G_Younesse_RAISSOUNI_QIv , Jan 28, 2019 :
    Not even an answer from oneplus on this matter. It a health issue, but one plus just seem to care about their New phones. I blught my 5t 1year and à half ago. And now Its useless for me. Should i change it for à newer oneplus ? I am afraid that this nfc problem concernes all the oneplus product could someone help me please

12. titus91
    Cupcake Jan 28, 2019

titus91 , Jan 28, 2019 :
    I had a phone call to Abbott . they told me they're working on the problem. It seems the app has some troubles with Android pie. We have to wait for the next app update presumably.

H1550344037735 likes this.
  13. DeMichaelis
    Froyo May 5, 2019

14. Piyushhgupta
    Cupcake Aug 28, 2019

Piyushhgupta , Aug 28, 2019 :
    Hi Everyone, my sensor failed today by using OnePlus 6 (A6000) version..than later to that I investigated a bit and found out that it(Glimp) is not compatible with my phone NFC and was giving warnings from beginnning.
    I am really disappointed with OnePlus for low grade NFC sensor which cracks and black listed, below are some snapshots for reference:
    For checking compatibility you need to Navigate to Glimp App>Options>Info>List of Compatible Devices

Attached Files:

15. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Aug 28, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Aug 28, 2019 :
    Wrong forum

16. hassan_1000
    Gingerbread Nov 14, 2019

hassan_1000 , Nov 14, 2019 :
    I have a OnePlus 7 Pro running Oxygen open beta 5 Android 10. I have the same issue where the phone will not scan the sensor until I force close the app.

If the app is running in the background or is open, the phoen will not scan the sensor

17. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Nov 14, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Wrong forum

18. C1520910424093
    Froyo Nov 14, 2019

C1520910424093 , Nov 14, 2019 :
    You guys are lucky. I can never enable Google Pay or any kind of nfc pay on my device. Always show device not compatible.