nfc not working

1. fredewis
    Froyo Dec 6, 2016

fredewis , Dec 6, 2016 :
    after updating to 3.2.8 my NFC fails a lot of the time sometimes hanging and not responding when trying to pay. anyone else?
    uk user.

2. warrenhallett
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2016

warrenhallett , Dec 7, 2016 :
    Yeah I've noticed that too.
    When you bring the phone close to the reader it starts vibrating, and usually takes about 3 attempts to work.

3. AnkyOnePlus3T
    Donut Dec 7, 2016

4. vikeor
    Gingerbread Dec 8, 2016

vikeor , Dec 8, 2016 :
    some cases might block the NFC signal as well. Are you using a case?

5. xingkong
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2016

aashman likes this.
  6. fleecymonkey
    Eclair Dec 8, 2016

fleecymonkey , Dec 8, 2016 :
    I setup my card on tap to pay and got a confirm from my bank saying that it was all ready to go but it failed in 2 shops that are listed as working with android pay. piss poor experience

G_Jakub_Klepka_IeuS likes this.
  7. warrenhallett
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2016

warrenhallett , Dec 9, 2016 :
    @vikeor yes I'm using a case, but it's the same case I've been using since OP3 launched.

Since the recent software update (either the OP3 November security fix, or Android Pay app update) the functionality for tap to pay has changed. As you bring the phone close to the pay terminal, the phone now starts vibrating, which it didn't do last month.
    I suspect the motor used to vibrate the phone may be creating additional electrical noise, which may sometimes impact the NFC communication with the pay terminal.

I have been using Android Pay as my primary payment method for many months, since the OP3 launched, and very rarely need a second attempt to complete a transaction.
    The biggest problem I've noticed is with some of the oyster readers used at London tube stations and buses (possibly because I use it at least 4 times a day).

It has gone from a very reliable method of payment, to one that almost never works first time, and sometimes doesn't work after 4 or 5 attempts.
    The first date I noticed it completely refuse to work was 30 November.

Whatever the cause (OP3 Nov security patch, Android Pay app update, or TFL oyster terminal change) it is very frustrating as it is no longer reliable, and I am loosing faith in this payment method.

G_Jakub_Klepka_IeuS likes this.
  8. strat68
    Donut Dec 9, 2016

strat68 , Dec 9, 2016 :
    Mine has the same problem on London buses - constant vibrating. It was working perfectly prior to the 3.2.8 update. Have gone back to using my Oyster card.
    It has worked ok in the local Sainsburys and Tesco though..

warrenhallett likes this.
  9. fredewis
    Froyo Dec 10, 2016

fredewis , Dec 10, 2016 :
    is good to know I'm not the only one, I have gone back to my contactless debit card as my phone just just hangs (noticed it after 3.2.8 update) and is not a good thing when coming out or going into the tube in rush hour and becoming one of the guys that slows the whole thing down becouse it's NFC is not working.

10. Matthewh1
    Cupcake Dec 10, 2016

Matthewh1 , Dec 10, 2016 :
    @warrenhallet as you use it lots can I ask when you swipe to pay do you have to turn on nfc before or does it become active by itself. I put my 3t up to the payment terminals and phone displays I need to turn on nfc then provides a short cut to settings. I don't know if this is because I've secured Android pay with finger print.

11. xAphex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2016

xAphex , Dec 11, 2016 :
    my nfc does work at all, i tried to read 3 cards, none of them worked

12. warrenhallett
    Cupcake Dec 11, 2016

warrenhallett , Dec 11, 2016 :
    Hey @mattewh1
    I usually unlock the phone using the fingerprint just before placing it on the terminal.
    NFC is enabled in the settings menu. I don't remember if I had to enable that as I've been using it for months, but I certainly don't need to change the setting each time.

I have raised a bug report with the Android Pay team at Google, so hopefully they'll be able to help solve the problem.

13. F_Chris_Guy_ynlZ
    Donut Dec 12, 2016

F_Chris_Guy_ynlZ , Dec 12, 2016 :
    Since updating to 3.2.8 (in the UK) my Android Pay has stopped working completely. I never had a problem under 3.2.7. I have tried to use it in 3 different locations (all shops) and it simply won't connect. There don't seem to be many others reporting this so is it my phone or a general problem?

14. F_Ian_Critten_GqIz
    Donut Dec 13, 2016

F_Ian_Critten_GqIz , Dec 13, 2016 :

Same here, have been using it everywhere, but after last update it doesn't work at all. Phone vibrates but terminal doesn't respond. Uk user as well.

15. yirashee
    Cupcake Dec 13, 2016

16. a5pe4
    Gingerbread Dec 13, 2016

17. Tony L.
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2016

Tony L. , Dec 14, 2016 :
    ok guys, thx for the feedback. we'll be looking into it. For those of you having issue with nfc or android pay, did you guys temper with boot loader or root??

18. Crystal Z.
    Global Community <3 Staff Member Dec 14, 2016

Crystal Z. , Dec 14, 2016 :
    Hi, all
    Sorry for the trouble that caused you.
    I sent several PMs asking for logs, but if the device was rooted or the bootloader is unlocked, Android pay can't be used.
    So if anyone who suffers this issue with non rooted device, please contact me and I'll give you the method to get logs.
    Thank you for your support.

19. strat68
    Donut Dec 14, 2016

strat68 , Dec 14, 2016 :
    Mine isn't rooted or unlocked and was working fine on 3.2.6 and 3.27. As others have reported I just get a constant vibration when using Android Pay but only on London Transport's Oyster machines (buses and underground). I've tried it in my local supermarkets and bars and it seems to work fine there.

20. strat68
    Donut Dec 14, 2016

strat68 , Dec 14, 2016 :
    Yes - I have the official OP3 flip case which I've used since day one with the phone and had no problems with Android Pay previously.

Crystal Z. likes this.