NFC problem

1. sam_1912
    Donut Jun 22, 2020

sam_1912 , Jun 22, 2020 :
    I have tried it both with and without a case. The case doesn't make any difference. The difference is how we approach the POS terminal with the phone and if it manages to send the information before a timeout. In any case, Google pay payments are broken

2. riogsm
    Cupcake Jun 23, 2020

riogsm , Jun 23, 2020 :
    I have the same problem on my OnePlus 8 . I used the original transparent case, after that changed with another case, than gave up using phone cases and guess what?? Issue is still there. I really like the phone, is far tge best one on the market right now, but can t really imagine how can this glitch can be so frustrating. Hopefully , on the next updates this issue will be gone

3. zeus268
    Donut Jun 24, 2020

zeus268 , Jun 24, 2020 :
    I'm having a serious problem with my OnePlus 8 Pro.

I don't typically use NFC for payments that often but what I do use it for is a medical device called a Libre sensor made by a company called Freestyle.

This device is a patch that I place on my arm to measure blood glucose levels because I am type 1 diabetic. I simply wave my phone over the sensor and it displays my current blood sugar. Before using these sensors I did what every diabetic does and tests their blood by poking their fingers and using a blood glucose monitor. These Libre devices are becoming more and more popular among diabetics and it is truly a life changing device in that I no longer need to use a needle on my fingers and that I can easily check my blood glucose level at anytime with my phone.

This sensor obviously works through NFC.
    For the last few days when I attempt to use the phone I get nothing but errors and I can't complete a scan. This has never happened with any previous OnePlus phones using NFC. It works fine with every phone I've tried.

I was considering sending it in for a possible repair but then I saw this thread with other NFC issues coming up.

Does anyone else have diabetes and uses the Libre sensor? Any issues to report?

I don't want to give up this phone 😞

4. Daniel_83
    Donut Jun 24, 2020

Daniel_83 , Jun 24, 2020 :
    verified this is not from google pay end, either a hardware or software issue which oneplus needs to clarify.

Attached Files:

5. iamjvni
    Donut Jun 25, 2020

iamjvni , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 25, 2020 :
    Update: Ok so I don't really know what happened but all of the sudden this issue is gone! I've had no more issues with public transport or any other payments anymore. What makes it weird is I haven't updated G Pay or my phone (10.5.9) but the problem just seemed to disappear? I'm not complaining tho!

andrewd71 likes this.
  6. andrewd71
    Froyo Jun 26, 2020

7. sam_1912
    Donut Jun 27, 2020

sam_1912 , Jun 27, 2020 :
    I still have the issue as well. Maybe it's a oneplus 8 problem not a oneplus 8 pro problem.

8. iamjvni
    Donut Jun 30, 2020

9. andrewd71
    Froyo Jul 8, 2020

andrewd71 , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Giving this another bump. I installed the latest update today (10.5.8) and it doesn't include a fix for this issue.

10. Sorin82
    Cupcake Jul 9, 2020

Sorin82 , Jul 9, 2020 :
    Same thing here, I thought I had a problem with my oneplus 8. NFC is working maby once a day with my ING app, sometimes from about 5 cm distance from POS, sometimes I have to put the phone over the POS, wait a few seconds, change the position, touch again, just maybe it works. It's frustrating at it gets on my nerves.
    99% of cases I have to take out the physical card from my wallet.
    It's my first OnePlus phone and I want to love it, but I HATE the fact that I can't pay with my phone.
    Also Google Chrome freezes often and I did not expect that, also gets on my nerves

mradz350 likes this.
  11. Daniel_83
    Donut Jul 10, 2020

sam_1912 likes this.
  12. sam_1912
    Donut Jul 10, 2020

sam_1912 , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Interesting which rom did you flash? Oxygen OS? And can anyone else confirm that this works on Oneplus 8?

13. mradz350
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2020

mradz350 , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 11, 2020 :
    For me, I have OP8 with the official nylon case and NFC seems OK on POS terminals , but refuses to work on TFL transport buses at all and is too temperamental tp use on the tube readers or rail, as I often get a penalty fare. Debating returning my device as defective under the consumer goods act. Such a joke for a brand new model. Sort it out @oneplus_support

K1595174514200 likes this.
  14. Ivan.Liakhovenko
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2020

Ivan.Liakhovenko , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 12, 2020 :
    I have a very similar problem, which is extremely frustrating. NFC payments never been a problem with my old and trusted OP5, but after waiting for so long for the upgrade it feels that OnePlus has let me down big times!

I never managed to get Google pay working on TFL card readers with my OP8 Pro and the only place where it did work couple of times was Waitrose POS.

Please sort this out @OnePlus, I don't want to send my new phone back!

15. pespap
    Cupcake Jul 13, 2020

pespap , Jul 13, 2020 :
    Same issue here, Oneplus 8 on latest firmware not working on TFL at all, oneplus 5 works and pays immediatley. The TFL terminal keeps timing out since it takes forever for the payment to take place. So I upgraded to onepluys 8 to have less functionality...

Ivan.Liakhovenko likes this.
  16. sophievasi
    Cupcake Jul 13, 2020

sophievasi , Jul 13, 2020 :
    I'm in Melbourne, Australia and have had this problem for a couple of months now. I've been paying for everything with my phone for a while and suddenly the transactions look like they are going through until the last moment when they are declined. There is no problem with the bank, and I can make online purchases with GPay, so it must be NFC. I have a OnePlus 6.

Ivan.Liakhovenko likes this.
  17. Peischl
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2020

Peischl , Jul 19, 2020 :

Hallo, i have the same problems,,,if i charge my op8 i can read the libre sensor ,,below 65% power,there is a problem :-(
    hope for a bug-fix-- Regards Hans

zeus268 likes this.
  18. zeus268
    Donut Jul 19, 2020

zeus268 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 19, 2020 :
    I never realized that the power level of the phone had any significance. I'm going to try this out. Thank you for replying.

My last phone before this, the One Plus 7 pro never had an issue with scanning the sensor. I think there is something wrong with this new NFC chip.

Has anyone else out there sent the OP8(pro) for repairs on the NFC chip?

19. DeadlyDag
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2020

DeadlyDag , Jul 19, 2020 :
    While this doesnt really help;
    I 'tap' with my phone and GPay, and haven't had any issues here in Norway so far.
    Probably tapped ~150 times, and have never encountered an error.

20. Denistheman
    Cupcake Jul 21, 2020

Denistheman , Jul 21, 2020 :
    Same here.Google pay does not work in Russia on my global version of the smartphone. POS terminals do not read the card, even when the application reports that the payment has passed.

G_Marco_Torti_jamP likes this.