NFC Ring + OnePlus One

1. sixdouble532one
    Cupcake Aug 8, 2014

sixdouble532one , Aug 8, 2014 :
    I was a KickStarter backer for the NFC Ring project and just received my first ring and have a few others ordered to support the NFC Ring team. I was excited to use it but my GS4 is having NFC issues. Has anyone tested out the NFC capabilities of the OPO or have any of you bought/tested an NFC Ring. What are your thoughts on both? I like the idea of having NFC tags for different things, like setting your phone to work/sleep/driving modes, but since there isn't NFC integration into the stock lock screen (only a secondary NFC Ring lock app, which is very buggy) having a wearable tag doesn't seem very useful right now.

[​IMG]

2. summersab
    Donut Aug 15, 2014

summersab , Aug 15, 2014 :
    I noticed no one replied here, but I was searching for OPO and NFC info and stumbled across this. I think that your idea is great - expanding the NFC options on the OPO. For me personally, I bought a lot of 10 tags when I got my OPO only to be a little disappointed that the screen has to be turned on for the tags to work (just like any other Android phone, so it seems). I understand the rationale from a security perspective, but it really limits the ability to do things like put your phone in a car dock and have actions occur, use an NFC ring to unlock the phone, etc. Would it not be possible to specify certain NFC signatures that can perform actions with the screen off, though? That would certainly expand the capabilities.

Palfreey and sixdouble532one like this.
  3. sixdouble532one
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2014

sixdouble532one , Aug 15, 2014 :
    I found out that there are other options for using NFC and NFC Ring to unlock within the system lock screen. You have to use the Xposed framework and install the right module. The other point about the screen being on has more to do with the phone querying/searching for a nfc tag. If you had it set to always be looking you would quickly drain your battery. The phone uses you waking the phone as a trigger to query for an NFC tag. This guy does a nice job explaining both.

4. xifos
    Froyo Aug 20, 2014

xifos , Aug 20, 2014 :
    I'm working on modding the NfcNci.apk for this.. Will keep this thread updated

McAwesomePL and sixdouble532one like this.
  5. sixdouble532one
    Cupcake Aug 21, 2014

sixdouble532one , Aug 21, 2014 :
    Any thoughts on making the phone monitor for the nfc tag at all time? How would you combat battery drain?

6. xifos
    Froyo Aug 21, 2014

xifos , Aug 21, 2014 :
    I tried with the NfcNci as previously mentioned, but it disabled my NFC altogether even after putting the original apk back.. lol. I'm a little new to all this so please bear with me.

After this I installed Xpose along with the NFC LockScreenOff Enabler, but it didn't work too well on the CM11S. So the final setup up is as follows:
    I'm still working on NfcNci.apk modding to avoid installing Xpose all together, but Tasker isn't going anywhere.. I'd suggest you buy it because it'll let you do some crazy automation!

7. munka
    Gingerbread Aug 21, 2014

munka , Aug 21, 2014 :
    IT is a security thing so that tap and pay can't be activated inadvertently by a new style of pick pockets.

jenvann and Ceasedd like this.
  8. sixdouble532one
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2014

9. sixdouble532one
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2014

sixdouble532one , Aug 22, 2014 :
    One of the things that I did notice on the NFC Ring was the fact that the nfc tags were both the same size. All the stuff I saw previous to getting the ring had the private side using a smaller tag so it would be harder to scan and so that the difference in size made unintentional/dubious scans fail because it would activate both chips.

10. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Aug 22, 2014

TakeMyMoney , Aug 22, 2014 :
    I have yet to understand what the added value currently is.
    Apart from using it to pay, which currently isn't supported in my country, everything I have seen NFC do, can be done in much easier ways from your phone itself.

Is anyone using it for something that is actually easier/quicker?

Ceasedd likes this.
  11. sixdouble532one
    Cupcake Aug 23, 2014

sixdouble532one , Aug 23, 2014 :
    Secure unlocking of your phone, door locks that use NFC, starting your car, sharing your personal info and setting your phone to complete a list of actions once set on an NFC tag. While I agree NFC has a lot of maturing to do this stuff is a great start.

12. matthijscremers
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2014

13. andrewhennessy
    Donut Aug 28, 2014

14. mkernbach
    KitKat Aug 28, 2014

mkernbach , Aug 28, 2014 :
    I tried with xposed and the NFC LockScreenOff Enabler module - not working for me on the OPO.

I can hear the nfc "beep" when the device is locked and screen on, but nothing happens.
    @xifos
    What's the progress on NfcNci ?
    This "unlock by NFC" is a great think and should be integrated in CM11.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

15. GRMrGecko
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

16. freluket
    Gingerbread Sep 13, 2014

17. aimee35
    Cupcake Sep 13, 2014

18. GRMrGecko
    Gingerbread Sep 13, 2014

ranx likes this.
  19. xifos
    Froyo Oct 1, 2014