Nillkin 9H Tempered Glass Screen Protector - Review

1. Danny
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

Danny , Jul 17, 2014 :
    Hey guys, dropping in again to do a quick review, this time on my first accessory for my Sandstone OnePlus One. Anyways, I don't like to take chances with screens and I like having a glass-like feel, tied in with my nice experience with the 9H film before, I ordered a Nillkin 9H Tempered Glass Screen Protector off eBay.

You're pretty much going to get the same deal no matter which reseller from eBay, they all pretty much ship from the same area of China (ShenZhen, Guang Dong) and I've never had any trouble with any accessories being purchased from China (which are a lot). I should mention, the retailer I purchased from shipped, actually, faster than the usual ~2 weeks. I got mines 7 days after purchase or I guess 6 shipping days since I ordered at night.

All in all because of the fast shipping here's the link to where I bought my particular screen protector: HERE

Onto the review.

Here was the shipping packaging, pretty basic envelope
    [​IMG]
    The protectors packaging was wrapped in bubble wrap, also pretty standard stuff.
    [​IMG]

Packaging: Much like the OnePlus One's packaging, the contents of the Nillkin screen protector very much impressed me in their presentation. The box is very nicely designed which, although it is just a screen protector, I definitely appreciate. Gives you a sense that you're buying a high quality product.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it's the OnePlus One's
    [​IMG]

Contents: Although the installation of the screen protector doesn't really require much, Nillkin does a nice job with including extra materials that help with the install of the screen protector. All the extra materials were nicely fitted into a plastic, uhh, bag-like thing that lists all the extras in both English and Mandarin. (See picture below) The blue tape is anti-static tape that you can use to extra fine dust particles or things you can't quite get to with the provided screen wipe cloth or dry wipes. A wet wipe was also included to really clean the screen, but for some reason on the packaging of those wipes, instructs you to clean the screen protector with it. Probably just a typo.

[​IMG]

Installation: This isn't my first install of the Nillkin 9H screen protector since I had one on my Sony Z1s but it still shouldn't be too hard. The fact that Nillkin includes so many extra installation products, like cleaning materials and anti-static tape, installation should be as simple as it is for a normal thin film protector.

If you're still confused this Youtube video is probably the shortest and most thorough video for the install:

Feel and experience: Overall the Nillkin 9H tempered glass is a nice feeling screen protector that shouldn't surprise anyone whose used a tempered glass screen protector before. The screen response is the same and I didn't have any issues using gestures with the screen protector installed. It should be noted, for anyone whose unaware, that the screen protector is relatively thick if you're used to cheaper thinner screen protectors. It's obviously not annoying or enough of a thickness to alter the user experience, but you can definitely tell visually that the screen protector is there.

It's pretty hard to get a picture where the screen protector is noticeably on the screen since it is pretty much like glass but I focused on the cutout which is probably the most noticeable part of the screen protector in this picture:
    [​IMG]

It's not as pretty of a cut out as I would like, but it's not going to bother me either. Overall for about 9 bucks, this tempered glass screen protector does the job and upon preliminary testing with keys and such, it does hold up to the scratch resistance.

Hope you guys enjoyed the review and if you have any questions, just ask. Regards, Danny.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

2. yossigrosskopf
    Froyo Jul 17, 2014

yossigrosskopf , Jul 17, 2014 :
    Reserved
    Edit 1: great review mate
    Looks really great
    Regarding the shipping, I'm sure there will be someone willing to purchase a load and sell then in the us/uk.
    I currently done the same with a different company called godosmith, in looking at the photos now and I just have this gut feeling that there both the same company but they just changed the printing;)
    I don't know why but it exactly the same including the installation pieces
    Edit2: I'm just going over the pics again and now I see the difference
    I'm still waiting for someone to make a review on the godosmith protector.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

floridanativ likes this.
  3. rir9005
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

4. Shuffler505
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2014

5. RogueS4
    Jelly Bean Moderator Jul 17, 2014

Mr.Nash, Ziezo and yossigrosskopf like this.
  6. wmm
    KitKat Jul 17, 2014

wmm , Jul 17, 2014 :
    Thanks for the review. I have the protector but no phone to put it on yet (still "processing"). Mine came with a plastic sheet of graduated-size circle cutouts, outside the bag of cleaning supplies. Did yours? If so, do you know what it's for? To cover the camera lens, perhaps?

[EDIT: Aha, I do see it in one of your photos, so I guess it wasn't just an accident in my package.]

ronoldo likes this.
  7. Danny
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

Danny , Jul 17, 2014 :
    No problem! Yes I do believe they are for the front facing camera, I didn't bother with them but it's all preference.

wmm likes this.
  8. mingtrinh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 17, 2014

mingtrinh , Jul 17, 2014 :
    Nice review, thanks How can you tell its not fake? So many sellers of fakes in China, Hong Kong, Singapore!
    is this screen protect going to reduce the number of shattered phone screens :)

mraspor likes this.
  9. garrickchan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 17, 2014

10. Danny
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

Danny , Jul 17, 2014 :
    I'm obviously not going to drop my phone to test the theory of whether or not screen protectors hold a screen together if you drop it but I'm sure it helps secure the screens integrity more so than if you didn't have it on there.
    It's more for scratches than screen cracking, if you're worried about screen shatters, you're looking at the wrong phone since this phone has a lot of glass to crack, and it's not exactly rugged.

I'm sure it's probably real. I don't know why one would make a fake tempered glass screen protector. It certainly feels real enough.

ronoldo, flynnsarcade and mingtrinh like this.
  11. rangelr
    Froyo Jul 17, 2014

12. wmm
    KitKat Jul 17, 2014

wmm , Jul 17, 2014 :
    Thanks! I wonder why they didn't mention those in the instructions... Maybe they thought it was "obvious".

13. deejay01
    KitKat Jul 17, 2014

deejay01 , Jul 17, 2014 :
    Nice review, thanks for sharing! I just ordered one of these on Monday. This will be my first time using a tempered glass one. Seems pretty nice for only $10.

14. monkeyking
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

floridanativ likes this.
  15. kitojabat
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

ronoldo likes this.
  16. rahulnigam
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

ramesh.sk likes this.
  17. dalportodev
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

dalportodev , Jul 17, 2014 :
    Wow fricken companies posting undercover advertising gtfo people check this product on amazon it has terrible reviews.

18. bermuda
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

19. gloginjar
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

20. wmm
    KitKat Jul 17, 2014

wmm , Jul 17, 2014 :
    No one has reviewed the OnePlus One version of this on amazon.com yet. Looking at the reviews for other phones, it seems to vary (unsurprisingly) but the trend seems pretty positive. For example, there are as of this writing 22 reviews for the HTC One M8 version, of which 16 are five stars and 4 are four stars, for an average of 4.5. Maybe my standards are too low, but that doesn't sound "terrible" to me. :) I'm looking forward to getting a chance to install mine (I got the shipping notice for my phone this morning).

ronoldo likes this.