No 5g in Canada!!!! via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. X1559093582958 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 1, 2021 :
    Just called a customer service rep... She told me that 5g is not supported with any carrier on OnePlus phones in Canada!!!!!!!!! This issue should definitely be resolved, why would you market a device in Canada as being 5g, if , for all intensive purposes, is 4g compatible, at best! Definitely needs to be resolved

Angelode16_20 likes this.
  2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 1, 2021

S1603807643953 likes this.
  4. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 2, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Nov 2, 2021 :
    Know someone who bought a Chinese version and had 5G working in Canada (before converted to Oxygen OS). Lacked support for it in Oxygen OS though.

Hopefully someone knows something. I've asked for some input on this.

In your particular case what carrier is it?

5. X1559093582958 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 2, 2021 :
    Telus

S1603807643953 likes this.
  6. cdnfarmer
    Moderator, Photography Expert Moderator Nov 2, 2021

cdnfarmer , Nov 2, 2021 :
    Hi There,

It's unfortunate but the big 3 control the market. Currently, there are 5 things that need to be checked off to have 5G access (I found this out talking hours with one of those big 3 IT when testing the Nord August 2020).
    1. Have 5G enabled in service contract
    2. Have 5G compatible device
    3. That 5G compatible device MUST be on their "approved device" list
    4. Have a 5G compatible SIM card.
    5. Be in 5G network service area. There were 5 in Canada in August 2020. Don't think I here has been many more added since. Though they say they work on it.

The biggest problem is #3. OnePlus has the compatible hardware. But they are not sold in their stores. They told me that eventually they want to open it up to all 5G compatible devices but that was over a year ago and nothing changed.

Keep in mind that alot of the 5G towers are converted from 4G and they required software upgrades. This is what the 3rd IT person told me. And I could see it while traveling through the city that had just gotten the 5G network status. And in part why speeds may vary (if you have a device they want you to buy). However, consumers should be able to pick what device works for them. Right now, it's the carriers putting the limits on who get 5G access. Especially for point 3 above. 😞

Perhaps you can ask them if they can add the device to their approved list. It meets all other governmental regulations and approval. It has the right 5G bands that matches what they have on their websites. Maybe ask them why it isn't part of their approved list. 😉And perhaps we need to bring this to the CRTC.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021

7. X1559093582958 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 2, 2021 :
    Well I tried telling them to add to this list, and they told me that it isn't done by them, that it would be something decided by someone further up the totem pole. So that's a bust. I don't think it's fair that they won't push 5g speeds to 5g devices than, or , on the flip side, for one plus to advertise 5g capabilities for devices in Canada. Both the carriers and oneplus are in the wrong here. I think it's important for someone at OnePlus to bring this issue to the Canadian carriers to regulate it. Because other then signing a petition, I doubt there is much we can do .

cdnfarmer likes this.
  8. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 2, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Nov 2, 2021 :
    If the carrier has something to gain on being locked down and only accept "exclusive" branded phones it probably continues doing so unless forced somehow.

Since all Oneplus phones sold now is 5G capable it would mean that they can not sell at all... Carriers not caring about them does not make the phones less 5G capable. Selling a phone as 5G does not force the carrier to support it... They can practically just laugh and say "why didn't you buy a approved phone?"

9. Chris1223
    Honeycomb Nov 3, 2021

Chris1223 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 3, 2021 :
    Based off of GSMArena these are the 5G bands supported on the OnePlus 9 Pro in North America:

1, 2, 3, 7, 25, 28, 41, 66, 71, 78, 258, 260, 261 SA/NSA/mmWave - NA

However, as was stated before any carrier can lock down their 5G networks to prevent phones or devices they don't want on their network from being able to use 5G. I have no idea why they would want to do this as it would upset customers and in many cases prevent them from returning. For example Verizon and AT&T both have similar phone restrictions in the United States. Prime example of why the most popular OnePlus users in the United States are on T-Mobile (from my understand I could be wrong on that).

X1559093582958 likes this.
  10. X1559093582958 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 3, 2021 :
    Doesn't really seem fair feel like that creates a monopoly. Imagine if on an iphone you could only use Verizon to get 5g . Everyone would complain and it would get resolved. Just because OnePlus is a smaller brand then Apple or Samsung doesn't mean that cell service should be restricted, if the required hardware is there.

cdnfarmer likes this.
  11. Chris1223
    Honeycomb Nov 3, 2021

Chris1223 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 3, 2021 :
    I agree I don't like that carriers do it either. I'm one of the lucky few who's carrier doesn't do that. Remember that when the iPhone first came out it was exclusive to AT&T.

12. cdnfarmer
    Moderator, Photography Expert Moderator Nov 3, 2021

cdnfarmer , Nov 3, 2021 :
    The big telecommunications companies are doing so to. Even though it doesn't create a fair and free market place. The big companies control the market. Think have to ask why. And keep asking and have to ask to speak to the top person. I know unlikely.

Yes. It's not fair. But Apple and Samsung have the largest market shares in Canada. A good contributing factor is that these phones are what are pushed at the stores...🤔

There is the option to make a formal complaint with the CRTC.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  13. jamessuen
    Eclair Nov 3, 2021

14. jamessuen
    Eclair Nov 3, 2021

jamessuen , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 3, 2021 :
    I have submit a request to have that address but I only getting the basic reply and never get any update.

Thanks for contacting One plus all those generic replies.

15. Chris1223
    Honeycomb Dec 2, 2021

Chris1223 , via OnePlus 9 Pro T-Mobile , Dec 2, 2021 :
    Don't forget the old FCC chair (Ajit Pai) was an advisor for Verizon. So the corruption isn't just in cell phone corporations either it goes all the way to the top. I'm glad he is out though and we shall see what the new one can do to clean up his mess.