No 5G or volte support with the 9pro on my carrier via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 19, 2021 :
    Hello, so I found out after buying my 9 pro that it doesn't support 5G or volte on my carrier (etisalat - UAE). The carrier it self supports these features, but it seems the issue is with OnePlus. I've contacted a OP service center who confirmed for me that they're waiting for an OTA update that will enable 5g and volte.

The strange thing is, there's another carrier in the country (DU) that perfectly supports 5G and volte on OP devices :/

So, according to the service center, we have to wait for an update from OP to support the carrier (etisalat) for 5G.

I would appreciate any input from OP team.

2. albigboss
    Eclair Jun 19, 2021

albigboss , Jun 19, 2021 :
    Same for 8 pro which a year ago was advertised as being 5G!
    I will never more buy a OnePlus to these liars (I schould use another word)...

3. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Jun 19, 2021

4. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 19, 2021 :
    Strange my sim supports 5g and volte on other phones from the same carrier, but for some reason on my new and expensive 9 pro it's not supported, only on this specific carrier, very disappointing.

A1629052369958 likes this.
  5. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 19, 2021 :
    Well, 5g works fine on du carrier on OP devices, but my main carrier being etisalat, I'm left with no 5g or volte until OnePlus does something about it with the carrier.

6. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jun 20, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 20, 2021 :
    It's down to the carrier to provision your phone on their network. Oneplus may provide an update to enable it automatically in the future. But your network provider can, if they have the will, allow your phone to connect to 5G. But they mist do the work on their side too.

This is a workaround. If it works, you will have to apply these settings again each time you restart the phone.

You must have an existing 5G plan with your mobile network provider.

You can possibly enable 5G:
    1) Open Dialer App.
    2) Type *#*#4636#*#*
    3) Tap on Phone information
    4) Select NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA.
    5) You may now be able to use 5G.

Ensure you have checked that your Mobile Network provider can provision your phone on their 5G Network.

7. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 20, 2021 :
    My plan covers 5g and volte as I've tried multiple times on different phones,, I've called my carrier multiple times about supporting the phone, pretty much everyone I've talked to on the phone said the carrier supports 5g on all phones and suggested I restart the device a couple of times :/

The OP service center in the country confirmed it's an issue with OP and all I could do is wait for an update that will enable this courier, if there ever will be an update.

It's sad considering there's a huge OnePlus following here in Dubai.

I've tried that trick before and it didn't work, it will show 5g as an option in the settings menu but it won't work.

Caomhin likes this.