No cast devices discovered

1. mlooise
    Cupcake Apr 10, 2021

mlooise , Apr 10, 2021 :
    Hello,

I own a Oneplus 5T and am still very pleased with the device despite of it's age. However I now have a nasty problem. From one day to the other i'm having problems with casting to a chromecast device. In some application's it finds some of the devices and in other none. I already rules out the network and chromecast because with other devices it works fine (laptop, other phones or switch from G-hub to chromecast). It started with netflix not showing the cast icon. Now also Spotify isn't showing my chromecast audio. I guess something has happened on the software side that keeps it from 'seeing' the devices. Have already cleared cache of google home and google services and also removed the netflix/spotify apps but no luck. Reboots also do not help.

Does anyone recognize the problem or maybe even have a solution?

Kind regards, Martin Looise

Caoimhín and lukas.arnld like this.
  2. Caoimhín
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 11, 2021

Tokolozi likes this.
  3. mlooise
    Cupcake Apr 11, 2021

mlooise , Apr 11, 2021 :
    Hi Caomhin,

I have just verified and it shows 'certified'. What I have discovered is that it seems to be something in my 'profile'. When I go to guest mode the phone finds all the chromecast enabled devices in my network without a problem. However when I switch back to my profile/account it does not find anything. So it does not seem to be related to the network/router of chromecast devices (also working on other phones in my network).

To try to 'reset' something I have already cleared the cache and data of the google home app and google play services. Neither have helped however. Is there a way to restart clean with a new profile without having to reinstall everything? Something like moving from phone A to B but then from A to A? I really think it's something to do with data being cached/corrupted in my profile; but I don't know what services are used for casting in android. There seem to be little 'apps' to clear except the ones already mentioned before.

The weird thing is it started happening all of a sudden. Have worked with casting and the oneplus5 for several years now. But now it just won't go. It's system wide btw .. not on any specific app (Netflix, Spotify, home) Anyone else having these issues or a resolution?

Caoimhín likes this.
  4. Caoimhín

Caoimhín , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 11, 2021 :
    You could try the following to see if it can help. This will wipe any Phone caches.

FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW TO THE LETTER CAREFULLY.

Some say this can also help, some others state it doesn't.

Wipe cache partition

Turn off your device.

Press and hold the Volume down and Power button at the same time.

When the OnePlus logo appears, release the Power button, but continue holding the Volume down button.

At the Password screen, enter the Password or PIN number that you use to unlock your device. When done, tap Ok.

Tap English.

Tap Wipe data and cache.

Tap Wipe cache.

Tap Yes to continue.

Tap Reboot to restart the phone.

Tokolozi likes this.
  5. mlooise
    Cupcake Apr 11, 2021

mlooise , Apr 11, 2021 :
    I just did the cache Wipe but unfortunately no luck. The same behavior: no device is discovered. It just looks like not even an attempt to discovery is made. It just lists the empty list of devices. No spinning icon or whatsoever. I also have a chromecast ultra (connected by lan) but also this device is not found .. so it really must be software holding me back. Also very interesting still that it does work on the same phone & software but as a guest account (different google account)

Caoimhín likes this.
  6. Caoimhín

Caoimhín , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 11, 2021 :
    It must be a fundamental Android issue. Maybe a dependency or something similar. I know you don't want to do it, but it may be the only solution at this stage, maybe backup the phone and do a full Erase All Data factory reset to refresh the current OOS on the phone.

lukas.arnld likes this.
  7. lukas.arnld
    Cupcake Apr 12, 2021

lukas.arnld , Apr 12, 2021 :
    I can confirm this issue. My OnePlus 5T is unable to find any Chromecast-based devices for days. I've did a factory reset on the Chromecast, checked all network settings and wiped my cache partition, but the problem persists. My other devices like my notebook and my old Nexus 5X can find my Chromecast with Google TV and my first generation Chromecast, my OnePlus does find neither. Since the 7th April, I'm unable to cast anything.

I've created a thread on the Chromecast support forum which does describe my issue in more detail: https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/105840533?hl=en#

I would also guess it's an issue on the software side, maybe there'll be soon an update.

Caoimhín likes this.
  8. Caoimhín
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 12, 2021

Caoimhín , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 12, 2021 :
    OnePlus 5T has reached End of Life for support, so there won't be any more updates.

I have come across this fix from 3 years ago on a 3T. These files still exist in A10. Worth a try.
    1618258763468.jpg
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/cast-screen-mirroring-issue-solved.705362/

9. lukas.arnld
    Cupcake Apr 13, 2021

lukas.arnld , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Thanks for the tip, sadly it didn't work.
    I thought of updates for the Google Play Services or something similar, but you're also correct, the phone won't get any more major Android updates.

Yeah, I can also cast using the guest mode. This supports your theory that some profile files have been corrupted.

I'm currently backing up my phone and soon gonna do a factory reset, at least it's nice clean the phone once in a while. After a factory reset, the phone still feels as it would be new. ^^

EDIT: The problem has vanished after the factory reset.

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021

Caoimhín likes this.