No Incoming SMS or MMS on Verizon

1. n8th8n Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

n8th8n, Nov 6, 2018 :
    There is not much in life as frustrating as getting past level one customer service on an issue like this one.

I have the added wrinkle of trying to make this work on Verizon MVNO Total Wireless. I had to find a workaround to create a valid APN for Total (have to insert a GSM carrier sim into the phone in order to be able to edit the settings). Got voice, data, and outgoing text working fine. Both Verizon and Total Wireless compatibility web sites show both my IMEIs as good to go. I just need to get around Total Wireless customer service to get this CDMAless feature added in the Verizon system. Not feeling confident..

2. K1540901165849 Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

K1540901165849, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I'm on Verizon prepaid and have gotten absolutely nowhere.

3. Harley Wilson Froyo Nov 6, 2018

Harley Wilson, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I've been working on doing the same thing with Xfinity Mobile since yesterday. I didn't have a data issue, but getting them to understand what I need has been a nightmare. I'm at least provisioned properly with my IMEI now, so this evening's task will be calling and working up to Tier 2 or 3 and hoping they can get me set up. I've been told twice by Level 1's in chat that they know what CDMA-less is, and that while Verizon has it, Xfinity doesn't right now (but might later this year). I'm hoping that someone higher up can give me a different answer, like knowing that it's called something different in their system.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

4. konnermoshier Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

konnermoshier, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I went in to the Verizon store and the rep knew exactly what I was talking about with the cdma-less provisioning. switched it and everything is working great! he also said that the Verizon messaging app should probably be used. I thought no it just takes a knowledgeable rep to get it sorted out!

5. Comixs Eclair Nov 6, 2018

Comixs, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Alright, just got off the phone, was really quick and simple.
    I called *611 from the device, entered my pin, waited 1 minute to get someone. I asked the rep for "CDMA-less provisioning" for my line, and I gave him the feature number, which is #SPO732 (thanks @hdirani ). He took 30 seconds, and before he even told me he did it, I got a flood of missed texts.

Within 10 min of unboxing the phone, I have full Verizon functionality. Thank you to everyone in this thread for all the information :)

6. risky1301 KitKat Nov 6, 2018

Yeah.Jam likes this.
  7. samlee3189 Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

8. BBKoenigsegg Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

BBKoenigsegg, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I came back to add that my SIM is almost 3 years old and it worked just fine. As soon as your phone is identified by Verizon as a OnePlus 6T, get CDMA-less added by using the chat feature on the VZW website. That's the easiest way, I've found.

9. Aetf Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

Aetf, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Using online chat, the rep knows what CDMA-less is and tried to add the feature to my line. We tried both feature #SPO732 and #83856, but I still can't receive SMS :(. The only thing changed is that now in MyVerizon, my device is shown as OnePlus 6T, rather than an unknown device.

10. Yeah.Jam Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

risky1301 likes this.
  11. adamstuchlik Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

adamstuchlik, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Quick fix for me. Followed the advice of asking hem to add cdma-less #83856, worked instantly

12. doptas Eclair Nov 6, 2018

doptas, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Was chatting with the Verizon rep for 1+ hours and she tried to turn ON the CDMA-less feature which she did, but did not turn ON the HD-Voice. This made my calls not to go through but texts were working.

Went to the store and put in a brand new Verizon Prepaid SIM card, and was back to the same issue. No texts, only calls.

Called Verizon prepaid customer care and finally one knowledgable rep, tried and resolved the issue for me. He worked with me for about an hour. As per him, he did exactly what the chat rep did, except that he turned ON both the CDMA-less and HD-Voice feature. Also, since it kept showing both the SIM and the device were incompatible, he tried to associate the SIM/IMEI to a dummy and then turned ON CDMA-less + HD-Voice and then associated the actual SIM with the actual device IMEI.

All in all, not a good experience. Have been with iPhone for 8 years now and never had to deal with an issue like this even for a single time. I'd think a device manufacturer would ensure such basic functionality of texting and calling would work perfectly fine with approved networks before shipping out the device. I guess not. Thanks to this community with valuable suggestions. Helped a lot. Other than this issue, I'm happy with the device so far.

Yeah.Jam likes this.
  13. doptas Eclair Nov 6, 2018

doptas, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Was chatting with the Verizon rep for 1+ hours and she tried to turn ON the CDMA-less feature which she did, but did not turn ON the HD-Voice. This made my calls not to go through but texts were working.

Went to the store and put in a brand new Verizon Prepaid SIM card, and was back to the same issue. No texts, only calls.

Called Verizon prepaid customer care and finally one knowledgable rep, tried and resolved the issue for me. He worked with me for about an hour. As per him, he did exactly what the chat rep did, except that he turned ON both the CDMA-less and HD-Voice feature. Also, since it kept showing both the SIM and the device were incompatible, he tried to associate the SIM/IMEI to a dummy and then turned ON CDMA-less + HD-Voice and then associated the actual SIM with the actual device IMEI.

14. wotaoyin Donut Nov 6, 2018

wotaoyin, Nov 6, 2018 :
    One rep literally literally did all of these and still couldn't enable my incoming SMS. He confirmed my IMEI is in, HD Voice and CDMA-less are set. Sigh, I am giving up for now -- and just to let people know if you are unlucky like me, you are not alone.

E1541080909994 likes this.
  15. Comixs Eclair Nov 6, 2018

Comixs, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Have you tried both SIM slots? Update the phone? Put your sim back in your old phone, and back in the 6T again?

16. arwaldon4 Gingerbread Nov 6, 2018

arwaldon4, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I got it working. Just logon to your account. Go to My Device>Activate or Switch Device>Activate on Existing Line.

But I'm sure you all knew that already!

17. U1541549503011 Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

U1541549503011, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Has anyone been successful with the MVNO's, (Total Wireless in particular)? I was just about to put my order in for this phone and came across all of the people having issues.

18. S1541085624500 Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

S1541085624500, Nov 7, 2018 :
    No luck on Total wireless here. Same issues, no data and no incoming SMS. The data can be fixed if you have an extra gsm sim card laying around but the text issue seems to be on Verizon's end and TotalWireless can't seem to fix it.

19. crarbo1 Eclair Nov 7, 2018

crarbo1, Nov 7, 2018 :
    When I put a GSM sim in, create the right APN, save and the swap back, the APN isn't there. Not sure why it isn't working for me. Any ideas?

20. n8th8n Cupcake Nov 7, 2018

n8th8n, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Put your Total sim back in and you will see the APN you created as long as you hit save.