No Incoming SMS or MMS on Verizon

1. Noxarious Cupcake Nov 9, 2018

Noxarious, Nov 9, 2018 :
    Just to confirm, I too was having the issue with not receiving my text/SMS messages on Verizon. Having read the previous messages concerning needing "CDMA_LESS" added to my account I contacted Verizon support via IM on their site tonight. The rep confirmed he had dealt with the issue and made the needed correction at his end and Bam, issue was resolved and receiving my text/SMS messages again. Took only about 10min start to finish.

Thanks to those ahead that had figured it out :)

2. Ra1882 Cupcake Nov 9, 2018

Ra1882, Nov 9, 2018 :
    Heres the latest dialogue from a tech I'm chatting with. Basically trying to pin it on oneplus saying its their fault yet states that cdma-less is postpaid only

Eric: I totally understand your concern and this is really important, what happens is that this feature to add the CDMA - Less is an internal feature that is only allowed to be use in postpaid department (regular account), since we are getting many concerns in regards of this issue in prepaid, we are working hard to get this feature available as soon as possible for the next update. My sincerely apologies for this inconvenience, I always do everything in my power to help you guys. The postpaid system is designed to being able to recognize the CDMA less feature for any compatible device with Verizon global network. In case you'd love to get this device activated as soon as possible, you can decide to get it activate in postpaid network which is going to be able to work since they have this feature to add the CDMA Less.

Edit: heres another followup from him after I sent a few more questions regarding the situation

Eric: It's totally understandable the way you feel and thank you so much for your time, I'd be happy to check your device to confirm is an unlock phone. I know that this device is certificated by Verizon and it can be activated the CDMA Less feature, what happens is that in prepaid we don't have this feature to work with, Verizon wireless has different departments and services for different plans and what the customer's needs. Example, there is home phone service, cable service, postpaid or contract service, prepaid service, sales and internet order services, etc. What I am trying to clarify is that you are right in that this device is capable to work and being able to activate the CDMA less, the only thing is that this feature is only and exclusive available in contract (postpaid department).

3. n8th8n Cupcake Nov 9, 2018

n8th8n, Nov 9, 2018 :
    No MVNO solutions yet that I've found. If I thought it was something that could be done to the IMEIs by activating them through a Verizon account, then moving them back to my Total Wireless account, I would try that. But it does not sound like the feature would stick.

4. Ra1882 Cupcake Nov 9, 2018

Ra1882, Nov 9, 2018 :
    Update:

Got my wifes phone working. Went through a rep named Khorix who was fantastic and got everything working. Now we are working on getting voicemail working because its saying my wife isnt authorized to use that service. Pre-paid verizon

5. artofthefirebird Cupcake Nov 9, 2018

artofthefirebird, Nov 9, 2018 :
    Do you know what they specifically did? I just got off the phone with a rep who turned on CDMA-less & HD Voice, but SMS still doesn't work. The thing is, I WAS on Verizon until I got my original OnePlueOne, went to T-Mobile, & decided to come back to Verizon. So it's a new account. I can't access MyVerizon because I can't get the SMS to let me do so, so I can't check anything there! I got pretty much the same response as you as to ETA for a real fix -- they are "working on it."

6. ideafrog Cupcake Nov 9, 2018

ideafrog, Nov 9, 2018 :
    UPDATE: New SIM arrived, and once activated with VZW on the old phone, swapped over to the One Plus 6T, could make calls but not receive SMS or MMS.

Called VZW support (requesting escallation to TIER 2) and asked that the technician activate feature # 83856.

Immediately solves the issue!

Lesson learned:

1. Get new VZW SIM
    2. Activate on VZW network using old phone
    3. Swap to new phone and have VZW tech implement feature #83856

BINGO - off to the races!

txgrantmac likes this.
  7. Ra1882 Cupcake Nov 9, 2018

Ra1882, Nov 9, 2018 :
    unfortunately no i dont know what he exactly did. There was some mention of an emulator. Currently in a new chat with Violete who is trying to get the voicemail refreshed, which she did but now nothing else works lol. i cant send or receive any calls or sms now. shes reapplying the emulator now. still in the chat

edit:
    She is saying its a compatibility issue with the sim card and this is a temporary work around until the engineers get it sorted. She said i can go get a new sim from a verizon store. Im pretty skeptical that will make it all better seeing this sim is like hardly a year old

edit 2:
    she said she had a tech person with her and they went through and re applied the emulator. My wifes phone can now make and receive calls, access voicemail, and send and receive texts. Still cant get the visual voicemail to work but at this point id say im satisfied. SHouldnt be this hard or complex to get this running smoothly seeing its VERIZON CERTIFIED. She did say to get a new sim when we have time. Will update if anything stops working

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

artofthefirebird likes this.
  8. Deactivated User Nov 9, 2018

9. Dennis51 Honeycomb Nov 9, 2018

Dennis51, Nov 9, 2018 :
    Seems now to only be an issue with Verizon MNVO's. They apparently are unable to trigger the CDMA-Less feature. Hope get it gets resolved in the new future. #OnePlusBugHunters

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

10. Cbini Cupcake Nov 10, 2018

Cbini, Nov 10, 2018 :
    Just got this sorted out yesterday. Apparently account reps can do it themselves, but we couldn't figure out how to change it on the admin portal. We called support together so she could verify that she was authorized, and Verizon support handled the rest.

geoff5093 likes this.
  11. cashgarage Eclair Nov 10, 2018

cashgarage, Nov 10, 2018 :
    To those who have the 6T on Verizon Pre-Paid - Did you have any issues getting the plan in the first place? I went to a Verizon corporate store and their system recognized the phone based on its IMEI as a 6T. However, the system would not allow them to apply a plan to the phone. They called tech for assistance and tech couldn't figure it out either. They basically told me I'm out of luck trying to get it on Verizon Pre-Paid.

koberlin0427 likes this.
  12. koberlin0427 Cupcake Nov 10, 2018

koberlin0427, Nov 10, 2018 :
    EXACTLY what happened to me except I already had a plan. Even with a new sim they couldn't add any features to my plan for cdma_less because supposedly the sim card still wasnt compatible with the phone.

13. cashgarage Eclair Nov 10, 2018

cashgarage, Nov 10, 2018 :
    So I'm wondering then if anybody has been able to get full service on Verizon Pre-Paid.

14. Ra1882 Cupcake Nov 10, 2018

Ra1882, Nov 10, 2018 :
    My wife's is fully functional... Well almost, no visual voicemail. $40 prepaid 3gig plan. Used the sim she had in her iPhone 6. Sim was new in 2016. Took about 2 days worth of chat to pin someone who could get it all set up. They basically piggy back an emulator on the account. The rep had to activate each feature (calls, sms and voice mail) individually and after each feature was added we had to power cycle her phone. Really hope it gets straightened out soon because I've never seen such a cluster f with getting a phone to function on such a basic level. It's freaking Verizon Certified. Should be absolutely 0 compatibility issue. Was told multiple reasons but they basically said it boiled down to the sim card.... Skeptical to say the least. Both sides, Verizon and op, need to clear this up

15. V1541026215626 Cupcake Nov 10, 2018

V1541026215626, Nov 10, 2018 :
    Does anybody has issues with VOLTE and signal? Got the phone then pop my old SIM card in then call Verizon for CDMA-less apparently everything but a day later I lost VOLTE and then completely signal it show no signal...I figured out swap sim slot 2 and everything come back for about a day and now no VOLTE or service...but the wired that no is when I reboot the phone service come back but only data work can't make a call or SMS, like my device got block by Verizon...I put sim back to my old device everything work...i has chat with Verizon and they confirm my sim activate...also I try to pop my other sim in the 6T from iPhone they don't work either...and now on my MyVerizon account it show both SIM card on Oneplus 6T....

16. SamClem Cupcake Nov 11, 2018

SamClem, Nov 11, 2018 :
    How about adding another layer to this stinky onion. I'm on TotalWireless, a Verizon prepaid MVNO.

I cannot get anywhere with support. I spent 5 hours troubleshooting this yesterday and another 3 today. I've been on the phone and in chats with some of the most incompetent people I've ever had the opportunity of encountering. I tried with every ounce of my being to be civil and amicable with them, but they have managed to get me to the verge of a blind rage.

They are now rufusing to help me for 72 hours because "you have called in too many times about this issue and it's not fixed so we have made a note on your account to wait 72 hours to see if it is resolved." When I called in the last time the agent gave me the silent treatment, when I then asked to speak with a representative about canceling the account because of how bad the experience has been she said to please wait and I listened to call center background noises and typing while she continued to give me the silent treatment for 5 minutes. Then I hung up.

This is a serious issue with Verizon not having their crap together with LTE only unlocked devices, but I also think this is partly on OnePlus, because being on an MVNO I'm locked out of creating a APN in OxygenOS when Verizon is the defualt APN on the SIM. I had to unlock my bootloader, root, and use a third party tool to create the APN. I can also pop my SIM into my wife's Essential PH-1 and not have an issue, so OnePlus is missing some programming somewhere I think that makes this much harder than it has to be.

17. Arkaybee Cupcake Nov 11, 2018

Arkaybee, Nov 11, 2018 :
    I want to share my experience getting this to work with Verizon pre-paid (spoiler alert, I got it activated with Tmobile).

I'll make this the condensed version. I set up a new prepaid account with Verizon using the 6t. As a lot of people said, verizon doesn't recognize the phone. The SIM got registered as some default device and nothing worked but data. I called to have them fix it, they couldn't because the sim and device were incompatible. I went back to the verizon store, registered a new SIM to my unlocked Nexus 6P, put that in my 6t and I got calls and outgoing text; no incoming text. Great, one step closer. I called tech support to add CDMAless to my account, which they couldn't because, big shock, the SIM and device were incompatible. The tech unmounted the SIM, added the feature, remounted the SIM and had me reboot. All the sudden I get no calls/sms again (data still worked) but this time I had an error when making a call that said "The Verizon customer you are trying to call is not in service at this time." I got this message for anyone I called, verizon customer or not (even called my bank, got this message). Great.

So I go back to VZW and get a new sim registered in my Nexus (start over from the last known good position) but now my actual account/line is all effed up (the Nexus won't even work now). The Verizon rep at the store said he'd never seen such a garbled mess of an account. But because it's prepaid, he can't make any changes. He writes me up a list of SFOs to remove, which to add, and tells me good luck (he frequents the XDA Developers Forum so he was super technical and interested in figuring out the problem). I call back and they can't do anything with the account because it's totally FUBAR. By this time it's about the third person who has told me that Verizon doesn't technically support ANY unlocked devices. She says I should go back to the store, get a new SIM, have it registered to a Verizon-branded device, then add CMDAless and HDVoice, then put it in the 6t (same thing the thread on the XDA forum says).

So I go back to do that, explain what needs to happen to a guy who really seems like he understands what's going on. He gets a new SIM registered to a device in the store but can't add the SFOs because it's prepaid. He calls customer service, gets put on hold, goes to help another customer and tells his manager to wait on the line. Well the manager thought she was going to helpful and just get the SIM registered to the 6t (because why are we taking this convoluded path with another device?) and effing nukes the account again. By this time (an hour and a half in the store at this point) I had to leave to get to my brother's step-son's wedding, so I walked into the back, told the manager to give me my device, and I left. Now with no working SIM, no data, no nothing. I walked into a Tmobile store later that day and got a SIM shoved in the 6t and bada boom, a working phone; calls, texts, data, everything.

All in all I really love this phone, but I'm really appalled that OnePlus isn't taking the front line on this and sending out a communication telling people to be wary if trying to use this on Verizon until the issues can be ironed out. I spent well over 25 hours at the Verizon store or talking to reps on the phone over the past 3 days trying to get this figured out. At the end of the day I was so tired and so frustrated I said eff it and walked into Tmobile (and they were very nice and very understanding of the problems and apologized for all the trouble I've had so far).

n8th8n likes this.
  18. nasmith23 Cupcake Nov 11, 2018

nasmith23, Nov 11, 2018 :
    I completely agree with some of the latest comments on this thread. I too was with an mvno trying to get this issue resolved for Verizon and after trying absolutely everything I could think of (outside of getting a Verizon direct plan) I gave up and popped in a t-mobile compatible Sim instead. I will say, I don't know if it's because the device is better provisioned with t-mobile, but my service is as good as it was with Verizon (still getting volte) and way better than I would get in my home with AT&T and I also have access to Wi-Fi calling which I did not have with Verizon or AT&T Sims. I'm just going to settle for this being the better option. The amount of work people have had to do to get this functioning is ridiculous at this point.

19. V1541026215626 Cupcake Nov 11, 2018

V1541026215626, Nov 11, 2018 :
    lol that good one...same boat with me this device cannot work property on Verizon...im done with it... time to return the device!

20. walkday Cupcake Nov 11, 2018

walkday, Nov 11, 2018 :
    I really sympathize. I am on Verizon Prepaid and had chatted with 5 different tech reps before having the text messaging problem solved. The first four tried and failed. All tried CDMA_less. Two of them said they had done a deep research and it was SIM-IMEI incompatibility. The fifth one asked for both IMEIs and asked me to switch the SIM slot to get the 2nd one activated, and then asked me to keep my phone powered off while he was working something. After 5 minutes, upon turning on the phone, I received a flood of text messages...... So, it is basically a lottery with tech reps.