"No OS Installed" - Fix

1. rowland
    Eclair May 25, 2015

rowland , May 25, 2015 :
    Hi,

Before I start I want to give full credit to Max Lee or ZedoMax. You can find his youtube channel here (https://www.youtube.com/user/zedomax/)

So I'm sure some of you are very worried because your phone is n't booting up. This is most likely because you don't OS (operating system) installed. Boot into your recovery (power on button and up volume at the same time). Wait for the vibration and let go. You show now be in recovery. To make sure you have no OS installed push the reboot button and system. If at the top it says "no OS installed" then this guide will fix your issue.

Step 1: Boot in TWRP or CWR recovery (instructions above) and connect your OPO to your
    computer.

Step 2: If you are Mac or Linux skip this step. If you are Windows you must download the ADB
    drivers (unless you already have them). Follow these instructions here on how to install them: http://www.technobuzz.net/install-oneplus-one-usb-drivers-windows/
    Drivers: http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/drivers/Android/usb_driver.zip

Step 3: Download the fast boot folder and unzip it. Make sure it is in your downloads folder!
    http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/tools/fastboot.zip

Step 4: Install the ROM you would like to install (Oxygen, Cyanogen, etc...) on your computer.
    Place the .zip of your ROM in the fast boot folder (in your downloads folder)

Step 5: Open a terminal or command prompt window and type:

For Windows:
    cd downloads
    cd fastboot
    adb devices

For Mac:
    cd Downloads
    cd fastboot
    chmod 755 *
    ./adb-mac devices

For Linux:
    cd Downloads
    cd fastboot
    chmod 755 *
    sudo ./adb-linux devices

You should see your Android device serial number along with “recovery”. If you see that, you are good to go. :)

Step 6: push your ROM to your android device. (Replace "filename" with ROM file)

For Windows:
    adb push filename /sdcard/.

For Mac:
    ./adb-mac push filename /sdcard/.

For Linux:
    sudo ./adb-linux push filename /sdcard/.

Step 7: In TWRP/CWR click install and find your ROM file. Then click reboot and system. Install
    Super User if you want to root your device.

Still having trouble? Watch this video or post in the comments.

2. rowland
    Eclair Jul 27, 2015

3. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Jul 27, 2015

4. Greg0410
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2015

Greg0410 , Jul 27, 2015 :
    How much trouble would I have gotten into if I posted this??? hmm, hmm????

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  5. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Jul 27, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , Jul 27, 2015 :
    none

rphlfjrd and Greg0410 like this.
  6. paulen1
    Cupcake Sep 2, 2015

paulen1 , Sep 2, 2015 :

Everytime i try to Install and flash the file i moved to my One, i get the message "Failed". What can i do to get my phone working again?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

7. jhnsartain3
    Cupcake Sep 7, 2015

jhnsartain3 , Sep 7, 2015 :
    when you pushed the file did you include . at the end of the command?

8. sabajose001
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2015

sabajose001 , Nov 7, 2015 :
    NO OS!!!!! CANT access to TWRP only fastboot mode

please help

I downloaded the TWRP and by accident I deleted the OS
    I tried to install the OS from TWRP but I don't have access to the TWRP anymore in no way possible

Does anyone know how to install the OS from the Fastboot Mode?
    Does anyone know with Mac?
    If you are only able to do it with Windows it will be much help as well if you let me know how

Please help!

9. ndcool007
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2016

ndcool007 , Feb 20, 2016 :
    hi, I have deleted my OS accidentally.
    upon tying adb devices , its does not show my device is connected.
    please help

10. boomer50
    Cupcake Apr 22, 2016

boomer50 , Apr 22, 2016 :
    ARE U FREAKIN SERIOUS!!!!! what a garbage and irrelevant reply to missing OS topic.

11. wonrob
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2016

wonrob , Apr 28, 2016 :
    I have followed all of these instructions but when I type in the cmd: adb devices, I don't get the serial number or recovery. Any help please?

12. archanakrishnan723
    Cupcake May 18, 2016

13. Imanuh
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2016

14. deva_048
    Cupcake Jun 17, 2016

deva_048 , Jun 17, 2016 :
    My device is OP2. I followed the above tutorial, when i issue the command adb devices it shows with serial number "Unauthorized" instead of "Recovery". Please help!!!! I was about to enable debugging in developer options it seems but i can't since NO OS installed in my Phone. Urgent!! Please reply...

15. Sandeep Dubey
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2016

Sandeep Dubey , Sep 14, 2016 :
    I have TWRP installed on my phone but when it type "adb devices" on command prompt it doesnt list my device. Any thoughts or do I use it as a paper weight now?

16. theincredible
    Gingerbread Sep 15, 2016

theincredible , Sep 15, 2016 :
    Its because your driver installation is not proper follow the guide in the first post of one plus one development to fix that.Also you can follow the steps for fastboot installation of cyanogen os fastboot images to fix your phone.

kartike4u likes this.
  17. F_Thonz_Lagda_Turtur_Lpg
    Froyo Oct 18, 2016

18. Ankitpassi
    Cupcake Mar 17, 2017

Ankitpassi , Mar 17, 2017 :
    I had the same prob but i found the fix, its simple. just got back to wipe, then advance wip and delete the cache and try rebooting. it wont give you the "no OS installed mssg:)

Vallhalen likes this.
  19. jtprieto
    Donut Jan 30, 2018

jtprieto , Jan 30, 2018 :
    Amazing. I was afraid about my OnePlus One but, with this guide, everything is normal again. Thank you so much.

20. C1571202879127
    Cupcake Oct 16, 2019

C1571202879127 , Oct 16, 2019 :
    completely power off phone, then hold vol-down and plug in USB cable... this should boot you into fastboot, try and flash TWRP from there, although, if you dont have the required files on your device (or any way to get them onto it) you are not in a good situation.
    something similar happened to me the other day, and this got me into fastboot where i could flash a system.img (or use HWOTA or whatever it is), though i had TWRP installed, but no OS.