Network/Connectivity No phone/SMS after 9.0.10 update

1. Buzz G
    Donut Dec 20, 2018

Buzz G , Dec 20, 2018 :
    This morning I logged into a German VPN and immediately got an update to 9.0.10. Disconnected from the VPN and tried to send a text and it said "no SMS conection". Tried to make a call and it wouldn't go through. I don't even see the Verizon thing at the top of the screen. Others in my area with Verizon are not having issues.

sorekadel likes this.
  2. Buzz G
    Donut Dec 20, 2018

Buzz G , Dec 20, 2018 :
    VOLTE normally displays at the top but I'm not seeing that at all now.

3. Buzz G
    Donut Dec 20, 2018

Buzz G , Dec 20, 2018 :
    tried to reset mobile, bluetooth, and wifi and then restarted. Still nothing

4. Buzz G
    Donut Dec 20, 2018

5. killerbunbun22
    Cupcake Dec 20, 2018

killerbunbun22 , Dec 20, 2018 :
    same issue here. tried pulling the SIM and putting it back in along with resetting the mobile settings. seems like it connects then drops off almost immediately.

6. Buzz G
    Donut Dec 20, 2018

Buzz G , Dec 20, 2018 :
    Ended up having to do a hard reset to get it working again. I've learned my lesson to not be on the bleeding edge.

sruel3216 likes this.
  7. sorekadel
    Eclair Dec 20, 2018

8. Parker Kincaid
    Froyo Dec 20, 2018

Parker Kincaid , Dec 20, 2018 :
    Another Verizon customer here. After updating I can't make/receive calls or send/receive SMS. No VolLTE showing up. Mobile data didn't work. Then it did. Now it isn't.

Everything was just fine until updating to 9.0.10. Not sure what you broke but please fix it for us Verizon customers, OnePlus.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

sorekadel likes this.
  9. sruel3216
    Eclair Dec 20, 2018

Parker Kincaid and Alex Rossow like this.
  10. sruel3216
    Eclair Dec 20, 2018

sruel3216 , Dec 20, 2018 :
    Factory reset will fix. I had to do it...I haven't had a problem since

Parker Kincaid likes this.
  11. sruel3216
    Eclair Dec 20, 2018

sruel3216 , Dec 20, 2018 :
    right!...Me too. So annoying having to set up the phone again. OnePlus seriously needs a feature to back up launcher settings.

12. Harley Wilson
    Froyo Dec 20, 2018

Harley Wilson , Dec 20, 2018 :
    Well that's interesting. Same thing is happening to me on Xfinity Mobile (which is a Verizon MVNO) on the beta. Whoever was in charge of testing Verizon on these updates is probably not having a great day. Luckily, I run dual SIM with a TMO SIM for work, so I'm not dead in the water, nor am I going to go through the hassle of factory resetting. Hopefully they roll out a fix for this on both the production and beta branches.

13. Alex Rossow
    Eclair Dec 21, 2018

Alex Rossow , Dec 21, 2018 :
    When you reset make sure to do a full wipe of the phone and not just all settings. I did all settings and it doesn't fix the problem.

Parker Kincaid likes this.
  14. Parker Kincaid
    Froyo Dec 21, 2018

Parker Kincaid , Dec 21, 2018 :
    Good to know a factory reset works but that's just not feasible for me at this time. Bad timing, in general, and already dealing with enough other things without having to reset my phone and then customize all the settings to my liking. I go a bit overboard when it comes to things having to be a certain way.

For the time being I'm going to wait on a fix from OnePlus. While I'm not pleased with the issue things like this do happen and OnePlus has been very responsive to the situation. Hopefully they can gather enough data to pinpoint and resolve the matter as expeditiously as possible.

In the meantime if the situation doesn't resolve itself before the holiday I'll either re-activate one of my older phones or pop in a SIM from another cell provider. Coincidentally, I had already ordered a Google Fi SIM before this problem began to test out the service coverage, etc. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

sruel3216 likes this.
  15. Parker Kincaid
    Froyo Dec 22, 2018

Parker Kincaid , Dec 22, 2018 :
    After having tried a few things to resolve the issue nothing worked. Bad timing for the issue occurring right before the weekend and the holiday week which makes it harder when dealing with customer support. I have no ill will towards OnePlus support. They were extremely responsive in my interactions but we just didn't resolve my issue in a quick or easy manner.

After weighing my options and realizing I didn't want to screw around re-activating an old phone I decided to do a factory reset. Yep, I wiped all data. I did a full backup to the cloud right before wiping. Upon the reset/restart my phone immediately regained my voice/data access to Verizon's network as people have previously noted. So, that's great. My phone should be working fine again when everything is restored. Now I'm just leaving my phone alone will it downloads & restores my apps and data. Then... sadly dealing with further setup that needs doing. After that is done at least I'll have things working when I need the phone through the final week(s) of the holiday season.

Hopefully OnePlus learns what caused this problem to begin with, how to resolve it without a factory reset for others who experience it and simply can't do a reset, and how to prevent this from happening in the future. I definitely don't want a repeat of this next time an update is released. I also need to learn to hold off on immediately updating and be more cognizant of the fact that I am usually using a VPN so the update may not even be available in the US yet when my phone tells me one is available. I didn't do anything wrong, of course, but it'll save me a possible headache or two to hold off down the road.

Note: I still recommend that Verizon customers not update to 9.0.10 at this time. If you are fine with doing a full wipe of your phone then that's your choice. Seems a bit silly to do this willingly, however.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018

Alex Rossow likes this.
  16. J_Parth_Patel_120595
    Gingerbread Dec 23, 2018

17. G1542200704753
    Donut Dec 23, 2018

G1542200704753 , Dec 23, 2018 :
    Just a heads-up: doing a full factory reset did not resolve the call/sms issue I had with 9.0.10.

I had to go to the open beta to get use of the phone back.

18. Parker Kincaid
    Froyo Dec 25, 2018

Parker Kincaid , Dec 25, 2018 :
    I decided to give T-Mobile a shot in my area to see how their coverage is. I kept my Verizon account and am merely making use of dual SIM. Went and signed up for the super cheap T-Mobile $3 plan for talk/text with no contract, obviously. No data. The guy popped the SIM card in and I immediately lost my Verizon access again. I tried a lot of things including swapping the SIMs around, etc. Didn't work. I wound up having to do yet another full factory reset to get it working again. So, it would seem that simply pulling the SIM is enough to cause this issue for me.

Note: T-Mobile is worthless in my area. Absolutely worthless. And this is why I always end up going back to Verizon. Glad it only cost me $10 for the SIM and the small amount for the airtime.

Alex Rossow likes this.
  19. C1544436830249
    Cupcake Dec 25, 2018

20. elanglois
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2018

elanglois , Dec 25, 2018 :
    Incremental rollouts are to do less damage when a bug is found.

So you use a VPN to get on the bleeding edge of the update and then cry when you fall off that edge!

STOP USING VPNs!

Rollback to the previous release. Download it from the website and stop making pointless threads. Bug reports go in the feedback section, NOT the forums!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018