No T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling might be a stopper for me...

1. ByrdDroid
    Froyo Jul 9, 2014

ByrdDroid , Jul 9, 2014 :
    While I have been patiently waiting for my OPO, I went ahead and ordered and received a Huawei Ascend Mate 2 phablet to replace my lost Galaxy S4. I soon realized that the phablet has one substantial shortcoming that the OPO probably also has: a lack of T-Mobile Wi-FI calling built in. I have looked around, and this is not an app that can be added... It has to be in the OS.
    Unfortunately, I live in a place where I get virtually no signal from T-Mobile, so I rely heavily on wi-Fi calling to maintain connectivity at home. The last two smartphones I had I got from T-mobile. For generic phones such as the OPO and the Ascend Mate 2, it looks like this is simply not available.
    Now, I realize that there are some workarounds, but the available apps typically either only allow outgoing calls, or give you a new phone number to use for VOIP, and most charge a per minute fee, even though the app is free. The bottom line is that the Wi-Fi calling is not free and seamless like it is on T-Mobile devices.
    Since I use this feature so much, I am regretting buying the Acend Mate 2, and am re-thinking whether the OPO will work for me. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay the price for a new Galaxy S5. I hate to do it, but Wi-FI calling is just so important to me.
    Flame away...

2. j_shelton1988
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2014

j_shelton1988 , Jul 9, 2014 :
    There's nothing to flame here. It is a common mistake. WiFi calling is only supported by Tmobile endorsed phones and some people don't know that. Luckily you can pick up an s5 for about the same price you'd pay for the one of you look hard enough

3. oneplusoneplus
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2014

oneplusoneplus , Jul 9, 2014 :
    UMA - wi-fi calling is requires a combination of hardware and software. Most/many T-Mobile phones support it. Running stock TMO rom also required.

4. xraysean
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2014

xraysean , Jul 9, 2014 :
    Your are correct in asuming it won't work with the One. Its been discussed before on here. It is baked into T-Mobile's system.

I'd love a work around, as well. Best I've heard is a magic jack app, but havent looked into it too much.

5. RogueS4
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2014

RogueS4 , Jul 9, 2014 :
    Wifi calling on t-mobile only works for phones sold through them, also moved to tech talk

6. danyalsumra
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2014

danyalsumra , Jul 9, 2014 :
    That's not cool.....

7. j_shelton1988
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2014

j_shelton1988 , Jul 9, 2014 :
    There are some free voip apps out there that I've used before, if I can remember them I'll post them

8. ByrdDroid
    Froyo Jul 9, 2014

ByrdDroid , Jul 9, 2014 :
    I did look through a lot of the VOIP calling apps in the Google Play Store... They all have 'catches'. Some of these we're listed in my post, but they include: charging a per-minute rate, even though the app is free, only being able to send calls-- not receive, being assigned a different phone number so you can't use yours...and on and on. After having looked and looked, none of them do what built-in Wi-FI calling does.
    I had told myself that I would never pay $650 for a smartphone again, but what am I really saving if the phone I end up with doesn't allow me to connect from home using Wi-FI calling?

9. j_shelton1988
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2014

KalicaliKa and jestik like this.
  10. Brandon619
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2014

11. eibook
    Donut Jul 9, 2014

eibook , Jul 9, 2014 :
    or a different phone....

12. Kazekumiho
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2014

Kazekumiho , Jul 9, 2014 :
    http://pocketnow.com/android/how-to-get-wifi-calling-on-your-t-mobile-nexus-one
    Here is a potential solution.

It looks like other people are saying you can't get the app as an apk, since it's baked into the OS. Then you could sacrifice CM11S to get the T-Mobile skin I guess. Good Luck!

13. nghile
    Froyo Jul 9, 2014

nghile , Jul 9, 2014 :
    Call T-Mobile and tell them you have no signal at home and ask for a signal booster. Typically runs $500+, but T-Mobile will provide for free (as long as you give it back to them if/when you leave T-Mobile); all you have to do is pay a $7 shipping fee.

My girlfriend had a Nexus 3 without wifi calling. Once she got the signal booster, her signal went from 0-1 bars to 4-5 bars.

LibraSun, mahvi, ByrdDroid and 2 others like this.
  14. Kazekumiho

I've always wondered, are these things satellite based? Where do they get the input signal?

15. slimgym20

slimgym20 , Jul 9, 2014 :
    You'll have to have a T-Mobile branded phone for wifi calling. Nexus series won't work either.

16. jsalter
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2014

jsalter , Jul 9, 2014 :
    Lots of custom roms include tmo wifi calling, for example for the HTC One. But I suspect they are all based on a Tmo base. So ya, doubt we will see it work on a CM rom. I never have.

Where can you pickup a new S5 for $349?

17. nghile
    Froyo Jul 9, 2014

nghile , Jul 9, 2014 :
    Well, you have to be able to receive any signal (even if it's just faint). What she did was place the booster receiver right next to the window. As long as the receiver can get at least 1 bar anywhere around the house, it can push the signal and give you full bars throughout the house. It's like having a mini T-Mobile tower in your home.

Kazekumiho likes this.
  18. Kazekumiho

Yeah, just googled it. Literally amplifies the signal, lol. I guess it's not a speed thing, otherwise the amplifier wouldn't get through the throttle. It's basically just a massive antenna for your phone, from how I see it.

19. ljackson
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2014

ljackson , Jul 9, 2014 :
    They usually use your broadband line :) (well the vodafone ones do)

Kazekumiho likes this.
  20. Pecan Turtle
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2014

Pecan Turtle , Jul 9, 2014 :
    T-Mobile sells the Nexus 5 in their store but it supposedly doesn't support WIFI calling. A rep told me that iPhones don't support WIFI calling either. Does MOTO X support WIFI calling? Nothing works consistently where I live so I've kept a land line .