Nord display smudging issue on blacks and grays via OnePlus Nord

1. wraaagh
    Eclair Jul 29, 2020

wraaagh , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Nord users assemble. Can anyone confirm that I'm the only one having this issue? The smudging is veeery noticible on dark mode on blacks and grays. Aspecialy on tray icons when they move. I tried to record it but my camera is too weak to capture this. So I made a quick mockup in photoshop how does it look.
    1596043052646.jpg
    It's there both on 90 and 60 hz refresh rates. Bigger brightness makes it less noticeable.

Anyone? Should I contact support?

groohm likes this.
  2. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 29, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 29, 2020 :
    The curse of a cheap amoled panel.

hamizckm, wwegleitner and Oxygen_ like this.
  3. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Jul 29, 2020

Arjun_Choudhry , Jul 29, 2020 :
    He is talking about Black Smearing here, I think. That is common to all amoled displays. Have had it in a Note 5, OP6, 7T, 8 Pro.
    Although, the black crush issue is definitely due to a mess created by Oneplus, both in their calibration and quality checks.

5. V1596087989909
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

6. wwegleitner
    Gingerbread Jul 31, 2020

wwegleitner , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 31, 2020 :
    There is no solution.

Thats a Hardware issue. Just return it and order a new one. And return that if it has the Same issue and Order a new one and so on and so on

7. Prattech
    Honeycomb Jul 31, 2020

8. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 31, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 31, 2020 :
    I know. Even that has cheap panel.

Prattech likes this.
  9. Prattech
    Honeycomb Jul 31, 2020

Prattech , via OnePlus 3 , Jul 31, 2020 :
    Only reason I skipped it. Now I am stuck with my OP3 which I decided to upgrade from this year. Not a single decent flagship device to buy right now smh.

Sriniroop likes this.
  10. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 4, 2020

the_o2 , Aug 4, 2020 :
    Wow, my OP5 don't have this.
    I think my AMOLED pannel is faulty :smirk::unamused:

11. DARKS7AR
    Froyo Aug 4, 2020

DARKS7AR , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 4, 2020 :
    Are you idiot or something? Or just wanna spam the forum without having any knowledge whatsoever

12. Arjun_Choudhry , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 4, 2020 :
    My OP5 and OP3 did have this at low brightness. Perhaps you didn't notice this? Either ways, in case you do notice the black crush issue, do get a replacement or a refund.

13. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 4, 2020

B_Wrath , Aug 4, 2020 :
    Please enlighten an idiot, oh wise one.

Arjun Choudhry and the_o2 like this.
  14. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 4, 2020

the_o2 , Aug 4, 2020 :
    I checked it the day one when this issue comes on internet but haven't found might be my eyes are weak,
    But if it common issue with all the AMOLED why we get refund, and replaced phone will also have this as it common for all AMOLED display 🤔🤔

15. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Aug 4, 2020

Arjun_Choudhry , Aug 4, 2020 :
    I meant, in case you only see smearing in low brightness, then you don't need a replacement. In case you see black crush, you better apply for a replacement then.

16. groohm
    Froyo Aug 5, 2020

groohm , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Same issue here for me, combined with the green/purple tint issue.
    Don't know if it's something all amoled displays have though...

17. DARKS7AR
    Froyo Aug 5, 2020

DARKS7AR , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 5, 2020 :
    If you have some common sense then you must know that this is an OLED panel, means the screen has tiny LEDs. When you scroll the LEDs take some time to dim themselves down. I have multiple OLED/AMOLED devices and they all behaves the same. 2nd thing, this is not a cheap panel. OnePlus sourced them directly from the Samsung and as you know Samsung is the industry leader.

Amanda W. likes this.
  18. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 5, 2020

B_Wrath , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Oh thank you very much for enlightening me. Until you said that, I had no idea what an OLED panel was!
    Is it really made up of tiny LED? I thought it was magic that runs behind the glass! Wow! Mind = blown!

And by the way, even if is made by Samsung, there are grades in any panel. The level of quality control differs. You would have known that if you were anywhere near a production process.
    A Nissan and a Renault are made in the same production line by the same set of people. But the quality differs.

So, instead of getting to act like a tough guy on an internet forum, learn few things before mouthing off.

Arjun Choudhry likes this.
  19. DARKS7AR
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

DARKS7AR , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Do you have a LED light or bulb at home? Turn it off and watch how it behaves. Light is a energy and the that emitter takes some time to lose it off. You need to learn before commenting like an idiot.

20. Sir_Senpaiii
    Cupcake Aug 26, 2020

Sir_Senpaiii , Aug 26, 2020 :
    same here