Not enough of this type of posts around here - 3 months with my OPO, how is it?

1. ajem
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2014

ajem , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Yes, this will be a short affirmation for those, who are still considering buying OnePlus One.

All you can see around here lately is posts about how many issues are there with the phone. This is mainly caused by the fact that when you have a problem with any phone, you seek solutions online - on forums, etc. And when you don't, you just don't feel the obligation to write good stuff about your purchase, because - why bother.

To be honest I didn't want to do so, but hey, the OPO is great and it deserves recognition!

I've purchased the OPO more than 3 months ago. From the day one I was amazed about the capabilities this phone has (mind that I never had an Android before, so it doesn't apply to everyone). It looks great to me, catches an eye when I use it in public, I get asked a lot about it and I am pretty sure I convinced few people to buy it.

Anyway, let's start from the bottom. I got the Chinese version and, personally, I don't give a damn about some cyanogen logo on the back. Flashed OPO to Cyanogen from ColorOS and since day one I get OTA's, everything system-wise works great, with no stuttering, no restarts, no problems at all. Mainly thanks to the @ikuwara and his great guide (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/how-to-flash-your-chinese-opo-color-os-to-cyanogenmod-11s.49098/) - thanks dude!

As for the system the only thing i got to say, Cyanogenmod team did really great job and I hope that they will provide something similar on Android Lollipop.

So, we got system out of the way, let's get to the business: I have no problem with connectivity whatsoever. LTE works amazing (in areas that it is avaiable in my small country), normal data transfer works great too, to say everything in four words: works great all around.

Battery life - oh, you! - with normal use (checking internet from time to time, socials, managing websites i own, calls, texts) I manage to get from the OPO as much as full THREE to FOUR days on one charge. And the charging takes an hour/ hour and a half to get to full battery. Greatest battery life since my Nokia 5530 ;)

Now, to not be so overly excited, the phone I own has its problems. Only two, but that can be a deal breaker to someone and it is only fair to include it in "somekindof" review.

First one: Charger and USB cable. It looks slick, of course, but the flat USB cable tends to drop down in a charger, so it doesn't charge the phone. Mostly. I have to fight with the charger to get the phone to start getting some power in it. Really hate it, since only with OPO official charger you can fastcharge the phone. Well, maybe it's only me.

Second one and the greatest problem of all: Durability of back covers.

I don't know if you watch youtube tech channels, but I got very much into stuff KBHD does. Last vid he uploaded (www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEDJkbSJKP0&list=UUBJycsmduvYEL83R_U4JriQ check 1:55) shows how bad the 64gb version' cover looks after a while. Now - my brother has 64gb, international version and he has amazingly visible sweat/grease (?) stains on the back which he can't clean with anything. I got the Silk White and I have as well, clearly visible small scratches on the back, which is really worrying, since I don't drag the phone on the pavement, I use it as the phone use is intended - it lays on the table or in my pocket.

All in all, despite those chargin/cover points, I really love the phone. I have never been so pleased with a piece of tech I bought. After three months of use, the OnePlus One works as fine as I hoped it would - works like the day I got it. And sure, I was worried about buying new, non-contract phone, like probably many of you, fellow forum members, but I am glad I did, since it just is best "bang for buck" phone you can get. Pure and simple.

Have a great day :)

2. Kenneth Lopez
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2014

3. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Nov 22, 2014

4. tshalev
    Donut Nov 22, 2014

tshalev , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Are there any cases available for this phone? I met someone today who had one and I couldn't help thinking that with its size I can definitely see it flying out of my hand...

5. hln1969
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2014

hln1969 , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Thanks for review. Agreed, there doesn't seem to be enough reviews after 3 months use.

6. sp99
    Community Veteran Nov 22, 2014

deepthought42 likes this.
  7. a_agarwal_

a_agarwal_ , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Thanks for the review! Appreciate it.
    What about earphones with mic? Are you able to use them for taking calls?

8. madhvi79
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2014

9. timbeer92
    Cupcake Nov 22, 2014

10. Monika Michaliskova
    Donut Nov 22, 2014

11. Rolodex
    Marshmallow Nov 22, 2014

Rolodex , Nov 22, 2014 :
    You definitely have to look after your phone more carefully. I got mine from the seventh of October and it's al fine, I ain't have nuttin' on it 'cause I wanna enjoy the pure experience of the feel of the phone itself, not some condom like protection!!!!!!!!!!

12. KevinPhoenix
    Eclair Nov 22, 2014

13. ronoldo
    KitKat Nov 22, 2014

ronoldo , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Great review... Thanks.... I like mine too!

14. ajem
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2014

ajem , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Thanks for appreciation! And I cannot answer your question, though. I never use earphones with mic, since I like my music listening experience as pure as it is.

About audio, though:
    Sadly, today my AKG K 315 gave up (well, at least one of earbuds ;D), I guess I'll go for some Denons now. AudioFX works really nice, and I listen to every single type of music out there (from Pink Floyd, through Yelawolf to Knife Party) I miss only that I could preset equalizer settings to specific type of music.

About microphone: Before any updates I had some problems with call volumes, but since I got one the next day I had no problems whatsoever.

15. MamaManka
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2014

MamaManka , Nov 22, 2014 :
    There so many cases out there that it's hard to decide which to choose :)

tshalev likes this.
  16. ajem
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2014

ajem , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Maybe I should buy one, but I'd hate to see such nice piece of tech get wrapped in a condom. I bought OPO for looks, too. Still waiting for kevlar back cover, if that comes anytime, lol.

17. craigos
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2014

craigos , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Thanks for posting. Have mine for two weeks now. Only minor issue is the yellow tint on the bottom screen which is really only notifiable when viewing white backgrounds.
    Lots of good cases for the phone available on Amazon that should protect against the nicks and scratches on the back and around the bezel.

18. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Nov 22, 2014

TakeMyMoney , Nov 22, 2014 :
    I have mine over three months as well, don't use covers and that type of nonsense, and while I can see it wear down, it certainly isn't as bad as the video.

A lot of people simply don't treat their devices properly.

19. ajem
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2014

ajem , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Yeah, to be specific, mine doesn't look that bad as well, minor scratches around OP logo + where Cyanogenmod is ;)

20. arunanand