Notice regarding the OnePlus 5 & 5T update delay

1. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Writers' Club Oct 28, 2020

Navdeep_Malik , Oct 28, 2020 :
    isnt it the two years of normal updates and then an year of security update!!
    thats not defending.....we will get the update its jus speed of pushing the updates has been sloowwwed down!! which is kinda everywhere when it comes to updating out of cycle devices/near end cycle devices!!

the only thing which is concerning is no official reply even after a month of creating the thread!!
    still i dont see the bugs are any SEVERE at all! doesnt stop anyones life!! or their work by any means!!!

2. Shadink
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

Shadink , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Who said the bugs are stopping anyone's life ?
    Now you tell me, how does it look for a company that has yet to push a fix after 5 months !! That's almost half a year !!
    Updates should slow down when thr released builds are STABLE but when they're not for 5 months that's bad and so unprofessional.
    I see you're a fanboy and an enabler who is trying to give excuses to such atrocious updates management.
    NO excuse for faulty update. Oneplus can go hard, or go home. there is no in between.
    Oneplus 8 pro is more expensive than iphone 12 yet iphone, and the same as Samsung s20 FE, that means there are alternatives.
    I am someone who supported Oneplus from day 1 because i believed and still believe in their vision. But i don't think they believe the vision they came out with in the first place.
    THEY SETTLED.

Auzzya, mukundakdas and FusionBomb3r like this.
  3. Navdeep_Malik

Navdeep_Malik , Oct 28, 2020 :
    you mean you will be crying for updates even after 4-5 years down the line if something comes out buggy for you?
    s20 fe comes with a10 i believe and with exynos for 5ok so not an alternative to 8 pro...
    iphone 12 starts at 70k which is much costlier than 8 pro too! and i dont see how you are comparing ios and android platform devices!!
    its just becomes slow for updates u need to undertand that!!!
    5 and 5t are already out of regular update maintainence schedule!! and your 5t will be outta total update schedule in a month i guess!1 still there will be update for whats buggy!!

4. Shadink
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

Shadink , Oct 28, 2020 :
    OK now I'm convinced you're a fanboy.
    If everything works properly for you, then what you're trying to achieve with your comments is such forum ?
    Preaching people ? Or defending your favorite brand ?
    I'm done replying to you. Enjoy your device

5. Navdeep_Malik

Navdeep_Malik , via OnePlus 5 , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Oh I am enjoying my device!! And I don't care what you are convinced of!! When you can't even understand how updates work ...!

6. Shadink
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

Shadink , Oct 28, 2020 :
    OK fanboy, you're the only one in this forum who knows how updates work. Happy ?
    Please Oneplus give him the trophy he deserves.

7. ashil17
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

ashil17 , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Now they are deleting my comments 😂.Can't stand the truth huh.
    I hope this company shuts down soon.

Auzzya and Sad.oneplus5t.user. like this.
  8. Laki Shetty
    Honeycomb Oct 28, 2020

Laki Shetty , via OnePlus 5 , Oct 28, 2020 :
    If you are enjoying your device. Do live with that. Nobody is asking for your suggestion. You have posted your thoughts on forum. Well and good and you should keep quiet with that. You don't have right to question others opinions.

ArnabTalukder and Shadink like this.
  9. Bodygard
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

Bodygard , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Let's recapitulate so you can understand.

1 - OP5/T was on Android 9 last year and that was a stable release with minimal bugs. People were happy. Although people always want more, that's understandable.

2 - Oneplus came out last year in October and promised us that OP5/T would be getting Android 10 stable, most definitely in 2020 2nd quarter. We were happy of course.

3 - Now look at this: April 27 Oneplus released 1st beta. May 1 Oneplus released 2nd beta. May 20 Oneplus released 3rd beta. May 27 Oneplus rolled out "stable" Android 10. Not even 1 month of beta testing and they already released a "stable" final release. Of course it would have problems. That was too fast. Some time after, they released a desperate hotfix that had more bugs (my phone crashed and rebooted several times during the day). So they pulled Android 10 release from their servers.

4 - What it seems to me is that they were not testing things properly since November. Oneplus administration probably just said in May to product team "you have 1 month to release Android 10 for OP5/T" and we get rid of this. They rushed things! They didn't test it properly and they didn't took the time to fix bugs. All they did was come out with a fast release so they could end this and focus on other devices like the Nord, N10, N100 etc

5 - In May 2020 Oneplus 5T was still under OxygenOS Software Maintenance Schedule. The 5T was released on November 2017, so regular software updates ended November 2019 BUT bi-monthly security updates should've continued to November 2020 (3 years). We're still on October 2020 and no more security updates since April! All these months, nothing...they left us in the dark. No communication May-September, no updates, lots of bugs.

6 - Gary C. said here, in September 18, first post that they acknowledged the problem (has to do with a communications module and they were working with the carriers...which i highly doubt that's the problem...). He also acknowledged that Oneplus had a very poor communication with it's customers and they are sorry and will improve on that. Nothing improved.

7 - October 28. We still don't have any more information about this issue. We still don't have security updates since May. We still don't know what is the progress of this work. We still don't have an official statement here to address these issues despite people complaining about this for several months. Still, Oneplus has the time and effort to launch several new devices, several updates for other devices but not for OP5/T wich they said are a priority. Gary C. OxygenOS Product Lead said the update is being processed “at the highest priority by the product team" but really the product team don't answer us, and don't fix the problems but has the time to launch other devices and launch updates for other devices.

8 - OP5/T have some bugs that mess things up and features that they wrongly took out like EIS from the camera. Battery after Android 10 is bad, gps works much worse that Android 9, no call recording, sound from filming is messed up, wifi disconnect happens a lot etc etc etc
    Funny enough, some time in September i think, Oneplus put up Android 10 buggy release again available in their website so people can download a release which they acknowledge has problems (Gary C. said here!)? How is that possible? Are they making fun of us? It's the same release that came out in May.

Conclusion: We are demanding that they fix the bugs and give us the last security updates that we have a right to. Our phones were working ok with Android 9 and by releasing Android 10 they messed things up. It seems that it's you who don't understand. Not we. End of discussion.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020

10. Navdeep_Malik

Lol that's funny!

11. Laki Shetty
    Honeycomb Oct 28, 2020

12. Navdeep_Malik

Sorry I can't read that big of a argument thoroughly right now ! But yea we will get the update! Sure

13. Navdeep_Malik

14. joncharmed93
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

15. Shadink
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

Shadink , Oct 28, 2020 :
    You shouldn't bother explaining to him, he's a troll. Read my last comment with him. Let him understand how updates work as he think they should work.

16. Ankur.archi , via OnePlus 5 Slate Gray , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Hey, OP,

Why so bother about old customers, let them suffer, even though they are not switching to newer models, give them an update which makes them more slow, new notifications bars for concession, but low camera quality and slow down phone's performance.

A happy Oneplus 5 customer.

Thanks but no thanks.

17. J_bara
    Donut Oct 28, 2020

J_bara , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Hey @Gary C.

Oneplus promised 24+12 month extended software maintenance with bi-weekly security updates after the 24th month. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-software-maintenance-schedule.862347/

Would you mind communicating about the state of oneplus 5t security updates?
    As the device was released on Nov 21 2017, we, the users are eligible for that maintenance promise.

Will you make up for the lost months and extend the update period?

Will we even receive the promised and much needed bugfix update for Android 10?

18. slainer68
    Froyo Oct 28, 2020

slainer68 , Oct 28, 2020 :
    I completely agree. Personally I don't mind if no major OS updates are being released. But the promise of having 3 years of security patches is not kept. I will not buy another OnePlus device if this promise is not being kept for my current device : it means security updates for at least this month.

Auzzya, polblancafort, Atomic and 2 others like this.
  19. HonestSavage
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2020

HonestSavage , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Once MKBHD said "Buy the product/phone with what its worth today not with hopes of future updates" and I think it all starting to make sense now.