Notice regarding the OnePlus 5 & 5T update delay

1. juanrugge
    Eclair Sep 19, 2020

juanrugge , Sep 19, 2020 :
    currently on LOS16, so i dont have the problems people on OOS have, but i really wanna to try android 10 official release, but i didn't because of all the bugs reported, so i was waiting for a fix update. if you have to take the time, take it, but yeah.. you need to let know your user whats goin on..

2. Bodygard
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2020

Bodygard , Sep 19, 2020 :
    I appreciate the communication Gary but you guys really could make better. Specially after what happened with OP2 in the past. This seems a bit of damage control because now you see a lot of people are becoming very annoyed.

It's ok we know the OP5/T due to their age are not a priority anymore for you guys. But it should be. Because some people with OP5/T are eventually reaching a time that they want to buy a new device and you know that the last thing to remember it's how we are treated in the end.

So it's important to give a good impression specially in the end. Shows that a brand cares for their customers even if doesn't have more money to make from them at that point. But will probably earn their trust and people will come back to buy again.
    Moreover, we were stuck with a rom for several months that have serious bugs as you guys now admit. Should've made a post helping users to downgrade to stable 9. A lot of people still use OP5/T as daily driver so it's a bad situation.

Plus, you could've always communicated earlier and making us know you were trying to discover what was wrong. We were left in the dark since June with no news, no security patches etc

3. NirajShakya
    Froyo Sep 19, 2020

NirajShakya , via OnePlus 5 , Sep 19, 2020 :
    we all know that oneplus5/5t processor 835 is more capable than 700 series chipset to handle android 11 so its a would be a wise decision to dispatch os 11 as well. As, most of the users has settled over oneplus and gone to different brand with this delayed move. I am 100% sure that it was business strategy to lure oneplus 5/5t users to nord which was a d*ck move.

The only compensation would be to provide android 11.

4. karanshar
    Froyo Sep 19, 2020

makarand1881 likes this.
  5. MakarandMJ
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2020

MakarandMJ , via OnePlus 5T , Sep 19, 2020 :
    They just bought more time with this post, nothing more.
    Now they will push an update in November and then say that its EOL for the 5/T series and no more updates. Give this good hardware a painful death.
    That's just one of the strategy to make you buy new phone. OnePlus is not getting anything out of this 3 year old device, so it's the last thing they will be working on,they got the idea from Apple ;).
    This is what happens when company starts seeing money and OnePlus is no exception to this.
    Very disappointed.

6. karanshar
    Froyo Sep 19, 2020

7. C1600483548569
    Cupcake Sep 19, 2020

8. Siddvank
    Froyo Sep 19, 2020

Siddvank , via OnePlus 5T , Sep 19, 2020 :
    In short Gary means "keep dreaming for an update, even we dont know when or if it will come at all" . What use is this post if oneplus still cant give a definite date or atleast compensate by extending EOL for our device.

aero2, joncharmed93 and FusionBomber like this.
  9. Itsme11
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2020

10. V1577115502933
    Cupcake Sep 19, 2020

11. nick18_ing
    Froyo Sep 19, 2020

nick18_ing , via OnePlus 5 , Sep 19, 2020 :
    Truly. They should actually do that. The kind of pain we are going through, we atleast deserve this for sure..

100% true..

Your post motivates me to drop the idea of buying #Nord & explore #Pixel....

You are right my friend. Same with me as well. These guys seems to be playing around till we get frustrated & pick up new devices.
    I have been trying to get responses from their customer care for long now, but they just have been sleeping over it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2020

joncharmed93 likes this.
  12. ninja123456
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 19, 2020

ninja123456 , via OnePlus 5 , Sep 19, 2020 :
    Since many updates were skipped and update cycle not honoured as promised, will the update cycle be stretched for oneplus 5? There are few features yet to come like DC dimming and ram boost. Mane fixes are yet to come and many security patches are yet to come but there's hardly 2 months left in the plan for oneplus 5 software support. Think about it. It should be extended by 2 more months until the commitment is met our even Android 11. We are ready to wait for q2-q3 of 2021 if it's coming. We will even get battery replacement to generate revenue for it from our end that's the least we could do.

13. Smeet_Panchal
    Froyo Sep 19, 2020

Smeet_Panchal , via OnePlus 5T , Sep 19, 2020 :
    One plus software schedule
    2 years of software updates and then 1 year of security update
    The hidden schedule
    2 years of software updates
    And then a security update at the end of 3rd year. said:

Publically they want to call 3 years of updates. But the 3rd year is ridiculous.
    And all this is because they get busy in launching new devices. I feel as the number of devices increase in a year, these things are going to be repeated.

14. sandeep104701
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2020

sandeep104701 , via OnePlus 5T , Sep 19, 2020 :
    After so much delay of 4 months, instead of getting some definitive release date, what we got is an excuse and vague statement like we are trying to fix the bug ASAP. Also when we know that Oneplus 5 will be EOL by November this year. Well done Oneplus !

15. PRASHANTJHIRWAL
    Donut Sep 19, 2020

16. mythoc
    Cupcake Sep 19, 2020

mythoc , via OnePlus 5T , Sep 19, 2020 :
    We expect official OnePlus buds support for our 5 series devices.
    There is no reason we can't use,update and customize them while we are on a OnePlus phone !
    Please consider officially releasing an update on this.

17. otto2
    Photography Expert Sep 19, 2020

otto2 , Sep 19, 2020 :
    OP5 series users got a non- promised update to android 10 even after end of life - so why are you complaining? Every other company would not even move a finger for such an old device.

Petr.114 likes this.
  18. siddiquianas , via OnePlus 5 Midnight Black , Sep 19, 2020 :
    If iphone 6s , 6 Have their iOS 14 update then, why OnePlus 5 series not to get OXY 11 OS, They pushing their iOS for Old phones even 4 year old , then Oneplus should also release new update with os 11 on 5 series, also it's delay and It's Oneplus mistake, its okk for your apologize but here every Oneplus 5 series user want To feel OXY 11, I Think Oneplus listen to us [e]1f44d[/e]

19. kanishak021
    Donut Sep 19, 2020

kanishak021 , via OnePlus 5T , Sep 19, 2020 :
    Please look into the bluetooth issues with the HD:AAC audio option not being visible , and also the problem of bluetooth getting disconnected when changing anything related to theme

20. FusionBomber
    Honeycomb Sep 19, 2020

FusionBomber , Sep 19, 2020 :
    I am literally taking out time to highlight the life of the 5T such that people can read it and have their opinion for OnePlus as a company:
    The curious case of 'delays' with OnePlus 5T:

1] The 5T was launched on November 16, 2017. Android 8 Oreo was launched in August 2017 itself. Despite having almost a three month window, the 5T was launched with Android 7 Nougat out of the box. Further, it received the Android 8 update in February 2018. OnePlus took 6 months to cook the Oxygen OS skin for the 5T.

2] Moving ahead, Android 9 Pie was launched by Google on August 6, 2018, this version again got delayed for months by OnePlus, here's the official acknowledgement of the same:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/pete_lau_o...t_a_bit_longer_for_android_pie-news-33770.php
    It was finally rolled out in December 2018. Here, OnePlus took 5 months to cook the Oxygen OS skin for the 5T.

3] Now here's the official update cycle given by OnePlus themselves:
    [​IMG]
    It clearly states that post 2 years, the device will get bi-monthly security patches.
    5T has received 2 security patches in total, post its life of 2 years.

4] Moving ahead, OnePlus decided that the device is now old enough such that no one would even bother reporting about it. They basically tried pulling off an 'Apple' here, like Apple had purposefully throttled in the performance of their older iPhones such that the users would get a newer iPhone, OnePlus chose a slightly different approach. They targeted the primary utility of a cellphone, the telephony.
    The update received in January, 2020 included the call end delay bug:
    https://piunikaweb.com/2020/01/14/oneplus-5-5t-call-hang-up-bug/
    Which literally felt like it was purposefully placed in there, such that the users would cave in and upgrade their devices.
    No hotfix was given, the bug was patched in the next security update.

5] Now back at the keynote of the OnePlus 7, Carl Pie had accidently spilled out that the 5T will get android 10 in Q2 2020.
    Now the Android 10 update came in on 26 May, 2020 as a 'phased rollout' and it broke the phone in endless ways and even took away existing features. OnePlus pulled the update.
    Now this is a common trait of OnePlus.
    What they do is they release an update (may it be bugged AF) for their devices such that it makes it to the news and then they pull the update. What happens by this is, firstly they make it to the news, this makes them deliver updates without actually delivering it. They've done this a numerous times in the past. Recently they did this even with the then new OnePlus 7 Pro as well, in the bid to being the first OEM to release Android 10 update.
    Secondly, potential buyers get attracted towards OnePlus, they think of it as a company giving timely and fast updates. (Which I had thought when I chose the 5T over Pixel 2 in 2017.)

6] Amidst all this, OnePlus gave us the cherry on top:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-confirms-ram-boost-dc-dimming-not-coming-older-phones/

Hope you all can now see how 'delayed' things have been for the OnePlus 5T.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020