Notifications : Time To Draw A Line

?

What is your level of Notification Control?

1. All notifications

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Turned off for a couple of apps

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Turned off low priority ( about a quarter of the apps)

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Turned on for some apps only

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  5. No notifications

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Potato

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Newbie@one+
    Froyo Sep 24, 2021

Newbie@one+ , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Sep 24, 2021 :
    Well it's a good suggestion but compiling that priority task becomes hectic or seems impossible specially when you have a large workgroup and anyone can possibly call you or might call you before your works hours specially when they do earlier shifts and you are doing a later one. I wonder if there is an option of creating groups *in contacts* and adding the entire group in the DND or work-life balance mode .

McJader likes this.
  2. C1624788922607
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2021

urnotit and McJader like this.
  3. Andy lone
    Honeycomb Sep 24, 2021

McJader likes this.
  4. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

McJader , Sep 24, 2021 :
    You can do this actually:
    Open Google contacts, open the left toolbar, create a label, add contacts according to your preferences
    Then open settings>sound and vibration>do not disturb>under exceptions, people, calls, select contacts, and tap on the cogwheel icon, then open the left toolbar and tap on the label you'd created.
    You'll still have to manually add these contacts but atleast they're seperated from the other ones ;)

Bobbie63 , Dresa91 and Newbie@one+ like this.
  5. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

Caomhin, Bobbie63 and Dresa91 like this.
  6. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

Stickied Post
    McJader , Sep 24, 2021 :
    Using Work-Life Balance
    It may not be the simplest tool on your device, but it is a great one once you get a hang of it.
    Here's how to use it:
    • Set up a schedule for when you want to activate it. For example, I have it from 8am to 1pm on weekdays.
    • Next, you can add a WiFi connection and location for Work and Life, and when you connect to this network, it will be activated.
    • You can then add the apps you want to recieve notifications from. For example, I've added MS Teams, Gmail, Messages, Dialer in Work Mode, while in Life Mode, most notifications except social media apps like Telegram and Twitter are enabled. You can also disable/enable entire categories of apps like the Social Apps I've mentioned above.
    • You're all set! While this mode may be buggy at times, it usually works fine for me:p
    Using Do Not Disturb
    Here is everthing you need to know:
    • You can set it to turn on automatically for events like sleeping, or you can switch it on whenever you want.
    • Events can be totally customised to your prefernces like day, time, and which activities to be allowed.
    • Customising: You can set your notifications to not make a sound or even wake up your device, it is totally up to you. Acess this by going to 'Restrict Notifications' in Do Not Disturb settings.
    • You can set up exceptions to DND, where apps will make sound for notifications and other media.Here you can add contacts, and seperate settings for calls and messages, along with other apps and alarms.
    And that's all you need to know about these modes. I know it may sound a bit complex, but setting it up doesn't take longer than 15 minutes, and could give you the mental peace you need:D
    CC: @HarshKK14

7. Man+
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2021

Bobbie63 and McJader like this.
  8. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Sep 24, 2021

Bouncer71 , Sep 24, 2021 :
    Great thread @McJader...!!

I don't use any of the mentioned tools..

Since I have a smartwatch, I turned the phone to silent and barely look at it throughout the day.
    I only get notifications about in coming calls and Whatsapp messages on the watch..
    All Whatsapp groups are turned silent..

I never really felt the urge to immediately respond to anything.
    Now I really don't care what's going on until I decide to unlock the phone...🤷‍♂️

Except emergency or important stuff...

Bobbie63 , Dresa91 and McJader like this.
  9. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

McJader , Sep 24, 2021 :
    This is a rare strength I suppose, not many people have that restraint.:D
    Thanks for reading!

Bobbie63 and Dresa91 like this.
  10. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Sep 24, 2021

Tokolozi , Sep 24, 2021 :
    From all he people you could comment this too.... You never learn do you.
    Maybe we should arrange that you cannot comment "good" or any <10 character sentences anymore.

11. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

McJader , Sep 24, 2021 :
    He was even soft warned by admin in the open forums, along with several of our tries to make him understand, of course.
    It just doesn't end. B_Wrath couldn't be a mod fast enough:p

Bobbie63 , Tokolozi and Dresa91 like this.
  12. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

McJader , Sep 24, 2021 :
    When you're posting gibberish like this, at least have the courtesy to post it in one of Pete's threads, he doesn't read it anyway:rolleyes:

13. 0ANIKET13
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2021

14. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

Caomhin, Bobbie63 and Dresa91 like this.
  15. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Sep 24, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Sep 24, 2021 :
    Excellent post, you can even mute individuals and Groups in the likes of Telegram so you only get a notification from what you feel is important. And if you don't want to hear the notification, most OnePlus phones come with a slider to vibrate or silence the phone.

Personally keep most useless group Notifications on mute in Whatsapp and Telegram, many apps have notifications disabled and are also on Optimise as I don't want their Push nonsense. If I want to read it I'll check it manually, such as my Feedly News app.

As you say, this constant need for notifications will affect your mental health, you get anxiety waiting for a reply, and I some cases a reply to nothing more than some inconsequential meme or video posted.

Problem can be though that people will be in denial that they have a problem to deal with as many others are in the same boat within their circle of friends.

Many a time I have gone to the pub, or other event and see people sitting together and all typing on their phones, not one word of discussion. Those occasions should be phone free. Start talking, have a real world social life. Put the phone on silent or at least ignore a notification completely and check it when the real world discussion stops.

If someone really needs to contact you and it's important, they will call.

Anyway that's my 2 cent, hope everyone reads and can adopt some or all of the suggestions by @McJader and feel better about not getting anxiety over notifications.

Thanks @McJader for highlighting a massive issue in society today, and giving advice on how to alleviate it. 👍

Bobbie63 , Aaron2017, rhyd1am and 2 others like this.
  16. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

McJader , Sep 24, 2021 :
    One of the most useful features of OnePlus devices IMO:D
    Absolutely, the mentality is "Everyone's doing it, it can't be wrong surely?" And then there are people that are aware and don't care, which I personally don't have a problem with, since it their life after all and they already have awareness of the issue.
    Yep, seen this many times, and after Covid lockdowns, even more, since people are used to being on their phones all the time.
    Thank you for reading it and I really appreciate you giving your opinion:D

17. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Sep 24, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Sep 24, 2021 :
    In my haste to reply, I forgot to mention it is a much needed post and done in an extremly well written comedic way while getting your point across.

You can but advise, you may never find out, however if it makes a difference to one person's life, the post is more than worth it.

I salute you sir 👍

18. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 24, 2021

McJader , Sep 24, 2021 :
    That was the intention indeed, I feel people may enjoy reading a slightly humorous copy more than a formal approach which most writer's club threads use currently.
    And you are too kind, sir😊
    Thanks again🙏:D

Caomhin, Bobbie63 , Aaron2017 and 2 others like this.
  19. rhyd1am
    KitKat Community Expert Sep 24, 2021

rhyd1am , Sep 24, 2021 :
    The thing I miss most since going to OPPO!

20. I1631469661959 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Sep 24, 2021 :
    Well I tried what you suggested however none of the options you mentioned are there for me to select. It looks like I'm stuck with 1 notification sound for every app on the phone. Not liking the limitation.