Now access the Shelf by swiping down, with the new Launcher V.4.5

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Jun 18, 2020

Gary C. , Jun 18, 2020 :
    launcher4.5.png

Hi everyone!

We just released the new beta update, V 4.5.4, for the OnePlus Launcher. This new version comes with the brand-new "Swipe down to access OnePlus Shelf" feature.

While some might not be familiar with OnePlus Shelf, it's a notable feature that many have grown to love. With this new update, we hope to make it more accessible to you.

The OnePlus Shelf is a feature to quickly use many easy-to-use apps, such as Notes, Toolbox, Step Counter, and recent contacts – all available from your launcher's screen.

In previous Launcher versions, a right swipe was the default way to access it, but in the newest version, we have added the"Swipe down to access OnePlus Shelf" feature to find OnePlus Shelf directly. To enable it, please Long Press on the Launcher > Click HOME SETTINGS > Swipe down to access > Enable "Swipe down to access" and select "Shelf"

GIF 2020-6-16 14-44-28 (3) (2).gif
    Currently, this feature is available on OnePlus 8 series models in North America and the EU. For updates on other models, please keep an eye on the subsequent announcements in Community.

As always, feel free to use the Feedback tool option on the Community app to share your suggestions. Your constant feedback is appreciated and significant. Alternatively, you can leave your comments below.

Never Settle.

2. john.awad
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2020

john.awad , via OnePlus 8 , Jun 18, 2020 :
    That's a nice comeback! I personally don't use Shelf, but I'm glad the option is back in a way to have both the Google feed and Shelf at the same time!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020

3. Moin2200
    KitKat Jun 18, 2020

ykrudra, fazerboy0_3, Achman and 5 others like this.
  4. D1586020209881
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2020

D1586020209881 , Jun 18, 2020 :
    a bit weird but it's an option so can be turned off :) I personally use Shelf sometimes bcoz I like handy featured to add some quick tasks there and I also like to have a shopping list on shelf. If I was to change something it would be adding compact view (like less spaces between UI controls) because as for my taste Shelf is awfully expanded. I would also add more details on weather like for morning, evening and night not only for current time.

5. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jun 18, 2020

Liehjan , Jun 18, 2020 :
    I don't use shelf, but great to see it comeback... Options is always good!:D

6. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 18, 2020

7. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 18, 2020

8. Bast07
    Jelly Bean Jun 18, 2020

ykrudra and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  9. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jun 18, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jun 18, 2020 :
    @Gary C. Adding that as notification/quick settings replacement looks meh. That's just a swing. Typical widget in the app form to open shelf would have been a better option.

It's pretty hard to use the Pro model with one hand to access the quick setting toggles, and now you propose, that just to access the quick settings one is required to swipe the very top of the mobile. Seems like a bad joke.

10. obakesan
    Jelly Bean Jun 18, 2020

obakesan , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jun 18, 2020 :
    @Gary C. So you took a feature away then bring back in a different way but only on a certain device. Why change it in the first place? Why then limit the function to a certain device and then claim how its a great feature to announce.

Lately seems you guys put stuff in a hat shake it randomly and whatever falls out is implemented.

11. Lapse
    Eclair Jun 18, 2020

Lapse , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jun 18, 2020 :
    I read something about OP giving the toggle between Shelf and the Google Feed, is that in the 11 beta or something that's coming in an update of the OP Launcher?

C1566541144002 likes this.
  12. FaleshC
    KitKat Jun 18, 2020

FaleshC , Jun 18, 2020 :
    not a Shelf user. is this to have Google discover and Shelf together?
    in that case its a nice idea.
    but then again i would chose notification shade any day for that swipe action.

I wish you guys had done a rounded search bar in app drawer instead, introduced something similar to blur bg etc..
    anyways i am sure devs will keep working to make improvements to the OnePlus launcher.

13. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Jun 18, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Jun 18, 2020 :
    Great news, many users long for the Shelf.
    Maybe they could consider swiping with two fingers to shelf, that way it won't interfere with the notification panel.
    Or when you don't want Discover, swipe right.
    Or swipe two fingers to the right. There are other possibilities to have Shelf without having to alter "swipe down to the notification panel".

14. fragargon
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 18, 2020

fragargon , Jun 18, 2020 :
    Hi,

that's good news, there are usefull widget on the shell.
    would be nice not lost other feature as swipe down notification area. I use it all the way.
    m2c

15. X1568888095586
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2020

17. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 18, 2020

ykrudra likes this.

19. SeanPlus
    Honeycomb Jun 18, 2020

SeanPlus , Jun 18, 2020 :
    Sorry, but can someone explain to me what the purpose of the launcher is? The Play Store description was no help. Why does the OnePlus 8 need a OnePlus Launcher? Shouldn't the additional features (Shelf, improved App Switcher, Search Gesture, etc), simply be included in OxygenOS 10?

One more question...

Is it available in all European countries outside the EU, e.g. the UK?

20. Groohmsch , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jun 18, 2020 :
    It's rather simple: every device manufacturer of Android ecosystem can put its own Launcher on top of the custom Android UI. Most known examples are Samsung's One UI or Xiaomi's MIUI. Each of those Android interpretations has its own launcher. So does OnePlus within OxygenOS. The launcher is separated from OxygenOS so you as a user have the option to uninstall it and replace it with a launcher of your choice, e.g. Microsoft or Nova Launcher if you like more external ones.
    OnePlus sticks to giving its users the most unbloated Android iteration so you can easily uninstall things you don't want to have on your phone.
    If you don't like it, just replace it :)

Andrew MZ Collette likes this.