Nubs and flashing

1. celstar
    Honeycomb May 31, 2014

celstar , May 31, 2014 :
    David S. latest post regarding the nub who flashed his Chinese OPO to CM11S:

It is due to wrong flashing, I've just sent the OP a private message to help him flash properly the latest build of CM 11S.

Be prepared for a lot more of this. I wonder if it was a bad idea to allow nubs to root their own phones. I hope Oneplus hired a lot of tech support otherwise they will start a riot with the flood of customer support tickets.

2. David S.
    OnePlus Europe Staff Member May 31, 2014

David S. , May 31, 2014 :
    If you buy the One from oneplus.net CM will come flashed from the factory, so it should be OK. Remember that we do not offer Customer Support for phones that have not been bought through oneplus.net. We will put some guides in place teaching how to flash CM using fastboot and recovery mode to avoid this kind of problems, but again, keep in mind that we don't offer official support for phones bought in China.

tabz, comminus, hsart and 16 others like this.
  3. Rytyshy
    Honeycomb May 31, 2014

Rytyshy , May 31, 2014 :
    This is why most manufacturers lock up their phones and make them hard to root, same reason they make it hard to stick your finger in a wall outlet.

geckosmoke and hsart like this.
  4. sporksnail
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 31, 2014

sporksnail , May 31, 2014 :
    I'm very pleasantly surprised by OnePlus's attitude to this. Most phone manufacturers wouldn't help you if you tried and failed to flash your phone.

OnePlus really is different. :)

zaryab, vijeshv1 and AlexM like this.
  5. beleaf
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2014

beleaf , May 31, 2014 :
    Best to wait for the international version if CM is what you need.

6. Suneth
    Honeycomb May 31, 2014

Suneth , May 31, 2014 :
    @David S What about FM radio? i saw some people mentioned Radio is supported on Chinese version. we will be able to use it if we keep color os?

7. Nise
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2014

Nise , May 31, 2014 :
    I've been reading about flashing and problems that you can encounter if things go wrong. For me as a novice the costs outweigh the benefits.
    It'll be great to have some guides available.

Last edited: May 31, 2014

8. David S.
    OnePlus Europe Staff Member May 31, 2014

David S. , May 31, 2014 :
    There is no FM radio (not in the Chinese version, not in the Western One), you can only listen to radio on-line.

zaryab, Nise and sporksnail like this.
  9. sporksnail
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 31, 2014

sporksnail , May 31, 2014 :
    The only reason I've ever flashed a phone is to install CyanogenMod on it. Since the OnePlus One comes with CM out of the box, I really wouldn't bother with this one.

Note that this only applies to the international version of the OPO. This thread I believe was in reference to someone who had bought the Chinese version with ColorOS, and wanted to flash it to run CM. I understand the benefits of doing this!

Nise likes this.
  10. jeevang
    Honeycomb May 31, 2014

jeevang , May 31, 2014 :
    It's as if they teamed up with a group who has their own distribution of Android...

zaryab and sporksnail like this.
  11. Nise
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2014

12. kk22
    Gingerbread May 31, 2014

kk22 , May 31, 2014 :
    It's good to see OP support and staff helping even though flashing CM11S onto the Chinese OPO is obviously not officially supported since it ships with ColorOS.

I hope this doesn't become a precedent for folks who want to cross flash (ColorOS<->CM11S) to start begging OP support for official help though, as they are really going above and beyond for this IMO.

13. ezechiele2517
    Honeycomb May 31, 2014

ezechiele2517 , May 31, 2014 :
    Hi @David S. can you please tell us if the lighting of the touch buttons on the bottom of the screen for 64GB version are the same of the 16GB pre production release version?
    In the reviews we saw that they were too poorly lit, it's due to software calibration or hardware bet?

Thank you very much

14. kohz87
    Cupcake May 31, 2014

kohz87 , May 31, 2014 :
    I'm actually more curious if the admin can actually share the proper steps as I'll be getting my own device as well.

15. emarch
    Eclair Jun 6, 2014

emarch , Jun 6, 2014 :
    Even With a 3rd part APK?

16. dBm
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2014

dBm , Jun 6, 2014 :
    They should just put the firmwares on their site and make it clear as hell that you can't run PRC firmware on international devices, vice versa. (Also put the PRC firmware on a page that's all in Chinese except for a 144-pt English warning stating THIS WILL NOT WORK ON INTERNATIONAL PHONES.)

17. wilbarger
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2014

wilbarger , Jun 6, 2014 :
    If you want to learn about rooting your phone and installing custom rom's, you can go to XDA developers. They have as much experience as anyone on the net and already have a forum just for the OPO. You may get just as good support from here for the CM11S, but I would not expect that they will help you out with custom kernels, recoveries or other rom's. Right now, for the West, it is a moot point as there are no phones to flash anything on anyway.

18. wilbarger
    Jelly Bean Jun 6, 2014

wilbarger , Jun 6, 2014 :
    If you want to listen to radio, use pandora or any of the other apps. Any phone will receive radio, not just the OPO. Use rdio if you want fm.

If the FM radio hardware is not there, no apk will fix that issue.

19. hsart
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2014

hsart , Jun 6, 2014 :
    I wish more people would stick their fingers in a wall outlet...natural selection at work! :D:D

20. Cyberdude
    Honeycomb Jun 6, 2014

Cyberdude , Jun 6, 2014 :
    For those interested in flashing, XDA report today (infamous 6th June) that an OmniRom build for the OPO is already at release candidate. The important point is that its based on KitKat 4.4.3, which makes it a more upto date release than the CM stock. Amazing what the "real" community can get done in no time at all when it wants to.