Obama speaks for Net Neutrality

1. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

2. asfen
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

asfen , Nov 10, 2014 :
    You do know the difference between a democratically elected government and an organization whose sole purpose is to make money? IDK if you have same concept what net neutrality is. And i hope you are trolling right about now.

3. ZeroAdam
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 10, 2014

ZeroAdam , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Almost anything could be stated before this quote here!! o_O

4. WA_Bob
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

WA_Bob , Nov 10, 2014 :
    +1 on the trolling hopes! I have more faith in banks than in big cable to do the right thing

5. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

rwoods716 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    And you guys trust the government to do the right thing? Do you understand the difference between illegal and unlawful content? At least with the cable companies, there is a chance at competition. If the government takes control of the internet with net neutrality, we've just asked the government to kill the free and open internet that we have today.

6. bustervic
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

Dimtuhop and jimberkas like this.
  7. d0rks0ul

Deactivated User likes this.
  8. WA_Bob
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

WA_Bob , Nov 10, 2014 :
    It's not as much trust the government to run things as trust the government to keep things from running on a "pay-to-play" system where you're stuck with dial-up speeds unless you "want" to pay extra. Comcast, Verizon, and pretty much everyone out there will screw you without lube unless they're forced by law not to.

9. asfen
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

asfen , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Net neutrality is about equality to all the content. Show me a occasion where equal opportunity to everybody has ever been bad. And about the government you elected them. If you hate them so much stop voting for a sign. Vote for a person. Both of the two major partied are fat leaches with no fear to lose their place in election. Unless people start voting smartly and vote for a person instead of voting for a party. Till the day come when they know no matter how big their party is they will lose if they mess up government is not changing.

deepthought42, Oyathnkso and goforsid like this.
  10. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

Well, none of this has to do with customers paying more for better service. We already have that. We're being told that if Net Neutrality fails, the cable companies will start charging companies for better service. There is no evidence that this will happen. It's just that the people giving you the news about this are the people that are scared. On the other hand, if Net Neutrality passes, the government has every right to declare what is considered unlawful content. In other words, if Net Neutrality passes, the government has complete control, whereas if Net Neutrality falls, the cable companies have complete control, but at least there's a chance at competition with the cable companies. Honestly, with the rate at which the United States is losing free speech, I can't believe anyone would want this.

caspere likes this.
  11. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

In a perfect world, Net Neutrality is about equal content, but that has very little to do with it. It has to do with who gets complete control over the content. With Net Neutrality, it's the government. Without Net Neutrality, it's the cable companies, but at least with the cable companies there's a chance for competition.

12. bustervic
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

bustervic , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Read my post again @rwoods716
    Providers have already admitted to plans of paid fast lanes. The gov't has no provisions in this for filtering content.

The TPP that is being secretly negotiated addresses all you privacy concerns and put all the power in the gov't, rights holders, etc.

The Neutrality process is a great smokescreen to pull people away from the TPP which will completely change the landscape for a free internet.

jimberkas likes this.
  13. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

I don't have it backward. Everyone is working under the assumption that if the government doesn't force net neutrality upon everyone, then the Internet will become this post apocalyptic hells cape where the big evil corporations will have great service and the little guy will be squashed before he gets a chance to get off of the ground. There is no reason to believe this. What it all comes down to is who gets control over the Internet: the government or the cable companies. This is going to be bad for everyone. Net neutrality is going to pass, everyone is going to be pissed about what results from it, and no one is going to realize that it's their own fault. Maybe it will be like healthcare, where everyone demanded universal healthcare, and then when it happens, they all say "I never asked for that!"

lordfredplus likes this.
  14. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

They did talk about paid fast lanes, but they never said that there will be slow lanes. Everyone is assuming that the little guy will be squashed before he gets off the ground. There is no evidence of that.

lordfredplus likes this.
  15. unity_one

16. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

carlfrantz , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Net neutrality is a principle of fair access to the internet, all users, not prioritized by how much you have or how much you pay. President Obama supports that. To allow companys to dictate whether my packets are better or worse than yours is insane. Everyone should have the rights to equal access to the internet.

17. Stew2
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

18. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Nov 10, 2014 :
    I certainly don't trust the government, lately at least. But I trust the cable companies even less... What the government wants to roll into "net neutrality" is making the internet a regulated utility, like electricity, water, and phone lines. The government is shouting that the cable companies are trying to squeeze customers and content providers for more money for more or faster access, and the cable companies are shouting that the government is trying to regulate the internet.

They are both absolutely correct. And I don't think we want EITHER scenario to play out. We want free (as in speech, not as in beer), open, unregulated, unblocked, equal, and unbiased (for lack of a better term) internet access. Screw the cable companies for trying to make Net Neutrality a bad word. And screw the government for trying to redefine Net Neutrality... (maybe this has always been the idea behind Net Neutrality, but I don't think so, and even if it has, it's not what I want.)

caspere, Gstarbuck, SizeOne and 2 others like this.
  19. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

carlfrantz , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Amen

deepthought42 likes this.
  20. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

Here's the thing. If the cable companies have control, at least there's a chance for competition. You're talking about free speech. Do you think the government would be the one to take that away or the cable companies? The UK and Canada have anti-trolling laws already and we're not far behind. What happens when Net Neutrality passes and the government controls the Internet and anti-trolling laws get passed? We lose that free speech, because we just handed over control of the Internet to the government. If anti-trolling laws get passed, you can'
    t even call someone a troll because you're accusing someone of a crime and that's slander or defamation.