Obama speaks for Net Neutrality

1. Devil1018
    Froyo Nov 25, 2014

Devil1018 , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Oh, i'm sorry, i must have this thread confused with a different one. At what point was the intention you had to make intelligent statements? Seriously, point that page out, i can't find it..

2. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Nov 25, 2014

Dr. Indest , Nov 25, 2014 :
    You open the door to regulation now. Everything is ok for the first few years. After that, once the dust settles, the regulations are tweaked and altered. Once the flood gates are raised, there is no going back.

You think the government should override free market?

3. Chris Haidze
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2014

Chris Haidze , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Ok, I agree with everything you said here except "net neutrality has everything to do with the content I want to you want to see". It doesn't. The rest of it I agree with.

ronoldo likes this.
  4. WorkersUnited
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2014

WorkersUnited , Nov 25, 2014 :
    You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Net Neutrality is.

You think it's this new layer of government regulation and government bureaucracy.

You said the government has no place in internet. Well guess what- since the beginning of the internet, the FCC has ALWAYS enforced Net Neutrality.

Net Neutrality has ALWAYS been the rule.
    Since AOL. Since the beginning.

Now the ISP's are challenging that.

ronoldo likes this.
  5. ronoldo
    KitKat Nov 25, 2014

ronoldo , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Capitalism will screw you over too... don't forget the financial crisis and what the banks did to us... and are still doing!!!

6. Chris Haidze
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2014

7. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Nov 25, 2014

Please educate me with a source. I have read differently. So, please provide me with a source. Else, I have to call BS.

8. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 25, 2014

carlfrantz , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Smith-Mundt isn't the argument here. Its a totally different argument. It feeds your paranoia however. Arguing these points has done nothing here. You have made your mind up, and I have as well. I hope I won't get an opportunity to show you just how wrong your position is. And with that, enjoy the rest of your discussion, it has reached beyond the ridiculous and I, for one, have gotten bored with it. Its not a cerebral discussion, its just a sad back and forth with no foreseeable conclusion.

9. Chris Haidze
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2014

10. alecge1998
    Eclair Nov 25, 2014

alecge1998 , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Reading through this thread, I don't think those who are arguing against net neutrality have the slightest inkling to what it actually is...

TakeMyMoney likes this.
  11. WorkersUnited
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2014

Oh lawd- Go educate yourself instead of listening to biased media sources. It's common knowledge that the FCC was always enforcing Net Neutrality until the beginning of this year when Verizon challenged the FCC's jurisdiction in court and won.

You have to remember: you can't trust mainstream media sources because the ISP's OWN the media conglomerates.

Example- Comcast owns NBC, Time Warner owns HBO, etc.

Definition of Net Neutrality according to Dictionary.com

net neu·tral·i·ty
    noun
    1. the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.
    Net Neutrality was ALWAYS the rule. - no preferential treatment, no throttling, no censorship, the internet was FREE and democratic for everyone.

The FCC was always enforcing it. I can't say this any more clearer: IT'S NOT NEW REGULATION.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...58ad7c-ec06-11e3-93d2-edd4be1f5d9e_story.html

"The Internet was born on the United States’ heavily regulated telephone networks, required by law to serve as “common carriers” ferrying phone traffic back and forth no matter where it starts or finishes. As the Internet moved from dial-up to high-speed connections, the George W. Bush administration opted to formally begin treating broadband cable Internet as a more lightly regulated “information service.” But the FCC continued upholding the principle that the Internet should remain open and neutral. And it has never stopped. Under the Obama administration, the FCC has tried writing hard-and-fast rules to make neutrality the law of the land. In January, a court threw out how the commission wrote those rules, which is why the FCC is at it again.

12. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Nov 25, 2014

Your source seems to challenge the ALWAYS statement. Edit: Just saw there are two of you folks, different ppl. My bad

Hence if they are not regulated anymore, your entire argument is mute.

I'll admit to stopping at that statement, on the article. Too long to keep reading.

13. alecge1998
    Eclair Nov 25, 2014

alecge1998 , Nov 25, 2014 :
    The reason it mentions regulation is because the ISPs were regulated as common service providers. Any business is regulated, it's the type of business that determines how it is regulated, and that is what the article is mentioning.

I'd also suggest that you actually educate yourself on what net neutrality actually is before arguing.

14. WorkersUnited
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2014

All I can say is this: go educate yourself and don't listen to major media networks. They are owned or in partnership with the ISP's.

I'm not going to change your mind. Find out for yourself.

An end to Net Neutrality is bad for every single America consumer in America. It will mean higher prices, less competition and more monopolistic behavior from companies like Comcast and Time Warner - (two of the most disliked companies in America).

The concept of Net Neutrality even predates the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

The concept of network neutrality predates the current Internet-focused debate, existing since the age of the telegraph.[81] In 1860 a U.S. federal law (Pacific Telegraph Act of 1860) was passed to subsidize a telegraph line, stating that:

messages received from any individual, company, or corporation, or from any telegraph lines connecting with this line at either of its termini, shall be impartially transmitted in the order of their reception, excepting that the dispatches of the government shall have priority ...

—An act to facilitate communication between the Atlantic and Pacific states by electric telegraph, June 16, 1860.[82]

15. dwaynelson
    KitKat Nov 25, 2014

16. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 25, 2014

rwoods716 , Nov 25, 2014 :
    What it means is that it is now legal for the United States government to propagandize the American public. The same government that everyone wants to allow to control Internet traffic

17. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 25, 2014

Thanks for making my point

18. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 25, 2014

Isn't that what net neutrality is about? It's about the government forcing the ISPs not to prioritize traffic but they can choose to call anything unlawful and have it blocked.

The point of saying that they should spark competition is that the FCC is already supposed to be doing that, or more specifically, they're supposed to make sure the big companies aren't acting anti-competitively and they're not doing that, so for some reason, everyone is demanding government regulation of the Internet rather than demanding that they do the jobs that they were already supposed to be doing.

Although I do agree. My whole life we all said that government regulation of the Internet is bad thing, but they've done a great job of convincing the American public otherwise.

19. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 25, 2014

But it's true. With net neutrality, the cable companies can decide what goes through the wires. Without it, the government gets to decide. My whole life, I and everyone I've spoken about this with knew that government regulation of the internet was a bad thing. We wanted them to stay out. Now suddenly everyone is crying out for government regulation rather than crying out for the FCC to do the job they were supposed to be doing in the first place.

20. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 25, 2014

This is true. My problem is that you're saying that I'm paranoid. I can go on and on and on about times that we know the government lied, that they spied on us, or that they propagandized us. Not conspiracy theories. Known events. Our whole debate comes down to the fact that I think the cable companies are the lesser of the evils for various reasons and you think the government is the lesser of the two evils. Everyone is just assuming that once net neutrality is gone, suddenly the big guys will start paying for better service and anyone who doesn't pay up will get squashed. There is no reason to believe this. If anyone is paranoid here, it's you.

The FCC was supposed to be making sure that the big ISPs weren't being anticompetitive for years but they didn't do that. Instead of crying out for government regulation of the Internet where they can choose what we can and cannot see, why aren't we crying out for the FCC to do the job they were supposed to do in the first place?