Obama speaks for Net Neutrality

1. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Nov 10, 2014

toastytoast1234 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Have you met the cable companies?

Spoiler - they're ******* assholes.

ultimusrex, bustervic and jimberkas like this.
  2. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

rwoods716 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    I agree that we should have actual net neutrality, but the government shouldn't be the ones to enforce it. When I was growing up, we always said we didn't want government regulation of the Internet. Now, it's all anyone wants. Doesn't anyone realize that something went wrong there?

goforsid likes this.
  3. AeroHil
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

AeroHil , Nov 10, 2014 :
    for me personally, i think if net neutrality passes, there will be more choices for people. so the little guys that wants to start their own ISP to compete with giants like comcast and verizon has a chance to succeed without getting crushed by the doorway. thats my two cents
    if it doesn't passes, we are only left with the choices we have now, and tomorrow i will need an increased charge on my bill that says "need money so i am getting it from you, sorry" lol

4. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

I love that people are trying to give me links to inform me as to what net neutrality is. I'm well aware of the issues. I'm just pointing out that if it passes, you're all going to regret supporting it.

lordfredplus likes this.
  5. AeroHil
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

AeroHil , Nov 10, 2014 :
    i very much agree with this.
    i love it that the easiest things for people to do it complain about things on the internet, but when it comes to do something about it, very small amount of people stand up.
    write to your congress representatives and tell them how you feel! lol

ultimusrex likes this.
  6. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

Why would an end to net neutrality affect your bill? If net neutrality passes, they could take money from content providers for better service, but your bill won't go up. It might go up if Net Neutrality passes. After all, cable companies are going to get that money from somewhere.

lordfredplus likes this.
  7. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 10, 2014

ultimusrex , Nov 10, 2014 :
    So we seem to agree on something... I have no idea if I want to support the bastardized version of Net Neutrality that the government is trying to push, but it may be better than leaving the big corps to do with us (and the content providers) as they will, because at least Comcast has shown time and time again that they don't give one little tiny shit about anything more than making more money. Their ads say otherwise, but that's marketing for you... Though any mention of regulation, which Obama has absolutely said, makes me think again before blindly supporting a Net Neutrality bill.

AeroHil likes this.
  8. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

carlfrantz , Nov 10, 2014 :
    No, I don't think much is going to change. The providers will still provide, and my access to the will be equal to Charles Koch's access. Once my packet reaches the edge router, it will be treated the same. If net neutrality doesn't survive, the providers will still be in charge, and my packets will wait in a queue until the priority packets have processed. The governments, and multinational corporations and criminal organizations will all still have the same accesses to the data traversing the core as they do now.

9. AeroHil
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

AeroHil , Nov 10, 2014 :
    where will the content providers get the cost they need to recuperate from in order to meet their margins? the people who uses them...

10. deimos11
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  11. bustervic
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

bustervic , Nov 10, 2014 :
    The NSA issue is also separate and you can't double up on those two. The NSA will continue on their path completely divided from what the NN ruling is either way and I really think you need to separate the two on this point.

12. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

The reason the government is involves is just because of that. Big corporations have been pushing to end net neutrality ( what we have always had ) and many among the internet have tried to resist it. Net neutrality isn't a new idea, the internet has always been governed that way. But big business wants priority set in place for certain traffic. Yeah they could buy more bandwidth, but that comes at a cost, and that only guarantees priority handling to the edge. They want priority handling THRU the cloud. Thus the push to eliminate net neutrality.

ultimusrex likes this.
  13. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

Right. That's what I'm saying. If Net Neutrality falls, the companies make up that money by taking money from corporations for better service. If Net Neutrality passes, they don't get that money and then your bill might go up.

14. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

But that isn't an argument for or against net neutrality.

15. ultimusrex

In case you don't know. This has already begun. Comcast and Netflix reached a deal to give Netflix traffic a higher priority for an extra cost (higher than the throttling-treatment they were receiving, not higher than everyone else)... It has been argued by both companies that this was a good deal for both sides, but in the weeks after the deal, I believe Netflix began regretting the decision... I don't want them to squeeze it from the content providers, because then we get diminished service from lower-priority providers. If bills have to go up, to fund network improvements, that's fine. I can live with that. It's how business works. But honestly, Comcast has been improving their network regularly for years with fewer customers, now that they have even more of a monopoly in their regions, they have even more customers and more income. So I can almost guarantee you that the bills are still pretty heavily padded... but we're not talking about cable bills here, we're talking about stopping Comcast and their kind from discriminating content and/or access.

16. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

We do agree. People here are making me out to be this monster that wants some perverted version of the Internet that we have today. That's not the case. It honestly reminds me of healthcare. we all said we wanted it because it sounded great. we all get free healthcare! Go to the doctor, they fix you up, and you don't get the huge medical bills. What could go wrong? Then, Obama pushed through this thing and the only thing that changed was that we were all forced to buy health insurance. It's just that the government has such a horrible track record with telling the truth and just perverting good ideas. Honestly, I'd rather leave it up to the cable companies because at least, there's a chance that another ISP will pop up in the future and compete.

17. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

Yea I saw that Jon Oliver show too :)

18. asfen
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

asfen , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Dont associate unnecessary things. TPP is issue of it's own. There is no reason to reject net neutrality for probable poop government might produce in future. Dont choose lesser evil. Deal with them as they come. "Government works for people" make them do what is best for us.

19. jimberkas
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

jimberkas , Nov 10, 2014 :
    you pay either way. if the mysterious "corporations" pay, who do you think is going to end up with the bill? Corporations don't pay for stuff, they pass that fee right along to the end user.

anyway, we apparently can't agree to what the term net neutrality even means, so this argument is pretty futile.

I, personally, am in favor of the presidents statement and suggested rules:
    • No blocking. If a consumer requests access to a website or service, and the content is legal, your ISP should not be permitted to block it. That way, every player—not just those commercially affiliated with an ISP—gets a fair shot at your business.
    • No throttling. Nor should ISPs be able to intentionally slow down some content or speed up others — through a process often called “throttling” — based on the type of service or your ISP’s preferences.
    • Increased transparency. The connection between consumers and ISPs — the so-called “last mile” — is not the only place some sites might get special treatment. So, I am also asking the FCC to make full use of the transparency authorities the court recently upheld, and if necessary to apply net neutrality rules to points of interconnection between the ISP and the rest of the Internet.
    • No paid prioritization. Simply put: No service should be stuck in a “slow lane” because it does not pay a fee. That kind of gatekeeping would undermine the level playing field essential to the Internet’s growth. So, as I have before, I am asking for an explicit ban on paid prioritization and any other restriction that has a similar effect.

however, I believe its window dressing or lip service, considering who he appointed as chairman of the FCC:
    Tom Wheeler - a venture capitalist who was formerly a lobbyist at the top of the cable and wireless industries.http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/uh-oh-ats-new-chairman/

actions speak louder than words.

20. ultimusrex

I agree it has to be governed by someone... who else other than the government? Like I said, I'm still unclear on whether I want to support the current bill or not.