Obama speaks for Net Neutrality

1. Reivon Choccoli
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

2. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Nov 10, 2014

toastytoast1234 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Absolutely. I'm saying that the US government (all flavours) have shown themselves to be untrustworthy slimebags, and so are the corporations who are funding them (and their re-election campaigns).

Except Netflix. Netflix are cool.

I don't claim to have any answers, at this point who knows who's been bought and sold the most?

Bring on the ******* comet, and start again from scratch.

jimberkas and carlfrantz like this.
  3. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

carlfrantz , Nov 10, 2014 :
    From the sounds of it you really don't. The internet backbone is really like the data ocean. The information moving there flows from internet core router to internet core router. What ending net neutrality does is saying that the gulf of Mexico now belongs to Mexico and oh yeah, if you want to swim while you are at Clearwater beach, you have to pay for the presidential suite at your hotel, or you have to wait for the bell hop to bring you a pail of ocean water. What ending net neutrality does is put the access to the CORE of the internet up for bid.

ultimusrex, bustervic and jimberkas like this.
  4. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

rwoods716 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    No blocking is not true. They can't block "unlawful" content. With Net Neutrality, you're giving the government the control over what unlawful means. Unlawful is different than illegal.

5. jimberkas
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

jimberkas , Nov 10, 2014 :
    haha. I agree, though I don't tend to separate the government and corporations who are funding them. they are all one in the same.
    funny, I said the same about the comet many times. we generally have f'ed things up pretty good. however, now that I have young kids, I'm trying to have a bit more faith in mankind...but its hard.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  6. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

That's not what an end to net neutrality is. That's what the media that's scared is saying it will be. Note that every argument for net neutrality is pure speculation on how the cable companies would treat the internet if the government isn't regulating them.

7. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

So your beef isn't really with net neutrality, its just all things government, right? That I understand. What the providers want is to end Net Neutrality. What the government is saying is to leave it the way it is. They just want to leave prioritization out of the core.

ultimusrex and bustervic like this.
  8. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

I don't think they're just going to leave it the way it is though. This isn't the same government that we had 20 years ago when the original net neutrality started. If this goes through, I feel like there's no going back.

9. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Nov 10, 2014

toastytoast1234 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    It's not like iCANN were corrupt enough in the first place.

You know what the Internet needs? Another couple of hundred top level domains, complete with support for weird-*** character sets and general foreign languages which kind-of look like English if you're a spammer or phisher .

Oh - you mean that will mean shitloads of extra registration revenue for ourselves? We never thought of that.

At this point they're pretty much the only organisation on the planet who make FIFA and the IOC look legit.

jimberkas and carlfrantz like this.
  10. AndyPober
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 10, 2014

AndyPober , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Regulation is questionable. Deregulation is not questionable. Deregulation means that the rules favor those who collect the money and do not favor those who pay it. Corporations are created to make money. Any actions that they take that don't maximize profits expose board members to lawsuits by the stock holders. The only thing that limits their greed is regulation. Hell, Teddy Roosevelt knew that and he was a Republican.

ultimusrex, jimberkas and carlfrantz like this.
  11. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

That exactly what it is. I design and build networks for large multinational companies and governments. I think I do have a little more knowledge of how it works than many people do.

toastytoast1234 and bustervic like this.
  12. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

This is something that I would be very happy to be wrong about

carlfrantz likes this.
  13. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Nov 10, 2014

14. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

20 years ago... LOL. The internet grew from DARPA.net, and was a government network in the early 70's. Its always been governed by governments...

Oyathnkso and ultimusrex like this.
  15. amartens181
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

amartens181 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Well, there is cheating in the elections, so yeah... Electing good people isn't easy.

16. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Nov 10, 2014 :
    I didn't see it on that show. I learned about it well before I saw that clip.

17. bustervic
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

bustervic , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Wait... this seems more like an anti-gov't rant than anything else. You are playing devils advocate to the gov't because they are shown to be distrustful and "bad"

NN has more to do with the delivery of the content than the content itself. Letting the gov't (paid for by lobbyists) decide that tiered internet service is ok is a terrible idea. A larger portion of the gov't actually wants this to pass and that shouldn't be ok with you as it speaks to your distrust of the American Gov't.

jimberkas, ultimusrex and carlfrantz like this.
  18. bustervic
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

bustervic , Nov 10, 2014 :
    The TPP is not completely on it's own here. And actually has roots from the NN debate.

19. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Nov 10, 2014 :
    I don't want to get roped into a healthcare discussion... but there's virtually a zero percent chance that any new ISPs that can compete with the big two will every "pop up", regardless of any NN stuff.

20. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

But Net Neutrality wasn't a thing until the 90s