Obama speaks for Net Neutrality

1. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

rwoods716 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    I get that it seems like an anti-government rant, but the whole need for government regulation of the Internet is based on anti-cable companies rants. The point is that although neither party can be trusted, they is no reason to believe that the government is a better choice to regulate the Internet than the cable companies.

bustervic likes this.
  2. oscarvanl
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

oscarvanl , Nov 10, 2014 :
    You don't understand how important Net Neutrality is, and if you let it go you will regret it. It doesn't bother me though, I'm from the UK. Have fun with your extremely slow web experience.

3. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

carlfrantz , Nov 10, 2014 :
    I don't see a problem there in your example. Allowing netflix priority on a COMCAST network is a business decision and it happens every day. But when comcast hands that traffic to their edge, that prioritization stops. Then every packet traveling across the backbone is treated the same. The issue here is when 10,000 corporations and interested parties start carving up priority on the backbone, the only people who win are the ones paying the extra costs. That leaves billions of users who don't pay for the privilege to be queued. And you thought waiting for an OPO was unfair.

gsrlb, ultimusrex and bustervic like this.
  4. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

I believe just the opposite, but I would be more than happy to be wrong

5. bustervic
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

6. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

Lol that last sentence. I LOLed...

carlfrantz likes this.
  7. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

Only because its the cable companies that are pushing for control. If it were GM or Samsung the argument would be the same. What ending net nuetrality is in a single statement is " putting the internet backbone up for bid." Nothing more.

8. oscarvanl
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

No matter what the US's capitalist propoganda has told you, regulation is a good thing. Companies will be ruthless, their sole intention is to make money for them and their shareholders. They have no concern for you as long as they still make money. The 'free market' has no ethics. This has been shown time and time again, pharmacy companies based in the US had blood products tainted with AIDS, realised they couldn't sell them in the US at risk of lawsuits, so they sold them to poorer third world countries instead to cut their losses (the result of this was over 1 million people dying). Nestle misled african women that breast milk was inferior to formula milk and then sold them unnecessary formula milk with addictive substances in, women often watered this formula down too much and used dirty water to mix it (and this would have been known by Nestle) and they did this for a quick profit, people died. Businesses, and the free market, are NOT to be trusted.

In the UK we have regulation on our ISPs and businesses to some extent and it works well - we pay extremely cheap prices for home internet and TV and mobile contracts and have fiercely competitive businesses, you don't in the US. I pay £10.90 a month ($17.29) for unlimited LTE, 5000 SMS, 200 minutes. How much does unlimited LTE cost in the US? Hundreds of dollars.

Stop listening to 'free market' propaganda, it is just increasing the inequality in the US.

Oyathnkso, gsrlb and carlfrantz like this.
  9. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

I agree but the nestle reference may be misleading. Isn't nestle a european company?

10. Hatha807
    Honeycomb Nov 10, 2014

Hatha807 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Which FCC member was democratically elected?

11. gatenosix
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

12. oscarvanl
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

The 'free market' isn't limited to the US.

13. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

I understand but your argument was basically what is eff'd up about American capitalism and the pro's for regulation, but then use a corporation from a fairly regulated European Union country as your example. Just didn't really support the argument. I can certainly give you some examples of crooked US Pharmas that have done some pretty unethical things all in the name!e of deregulation.

14. rwoods716
    KitKat Nov 10, 2014

It's interesting that you would say that the free market is not to be trusted but the government is. For every example you could give of a large corporation lying or misleading the public, I could give another of the government lying or misleading the public, and there is only one U.S. government. There are thousands of corporations.

15. carlfrantz
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2014

So a push for transparency is needed, sure. But to allow what you consider the better of two evils to change the face of equal access is really not the answer. You make the issue an either / or issue, when there are different solutions out there. What this comes down to is simple corporate greed. The internet has been net neutral since its creation. Don't let your distaste of the government be the deciding factor in this argument. Change the government not the internet. That's like junking your car for the bad directions your GPS gave you.

16. Deactivated User
    Nov 10, 2014

17. asfen
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

asfen , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Changing anything fundamentally is not easy bro. But it's worth it.

18. asfen
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

asfen , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Who selects FCC members? I believe people who select are democratically elected.

19. asfen
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2014

asfen , Nov 10, 2014 :
    I don't understand why or how net neutrality thought to be packed with subsidized internet. Neutral net doesn't come with government controlling everything. It means no one get to temper with package or speed that includes government.

ultimusrex likes this.
  20. Hatha807
    Honeycomb Nov 10, 2014

Hatha807 , Nov 10, 2014 :
    Please tell me where Net Neutrality was mentioned in any presidential campaign.