Obsidian Black Styleswap

1. athanasios44
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

athanasios44 , Jan 30, 2015 :
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share some pics of the Obsidian Black Styleswap cover.
    Before I do though, some background: Some of you may remember the review I did about the Bamboo Styleswap, found here:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...cover-at-least-not-if-you-are-like-me.238502/

Well, I had a lot of feedback in that thread with the majority of people say it fit perfectly on their device. What the hell, right? Then I also started getting paranoid that I messed up my phone somehow while removing original back, causing the Bamboo SS to not fit properly. I played around with everything some more and to my shock, after removing and replacing the original Sandstone about 5-10 times, the Sandstone started to creak too!!! Albeit, not as bad as the bamboo, only very little and in very specific places.

So, my conclusion. Removing ANY of the covers (including original) too many times, will result in poor fit and creaking. This is an issue with the covers, not the phone. The Bamboo cover I purchased had probably been removed multiple times either by a previous owner (i.e. refurb) or at the factory during testing.

In any case, here are some pics of the Obsidian Black I got in the mail yesterday:
    IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0055.JPG

This thing feels better the original cover, and even fits better as well. I suspect that the amazing fit is due to the reason I cited earlier, that this cover has only been placed on a device once, and never removed, keeping its integrity. I never thought that it would fit better than original, because I'm just a user and original was placed in the factory. But I stand corrected.
    The feel is great as well - feels just like the baby skin white. I actually find it better than the feel of the Sandstone.

Toulouse and CasperTFG like this.
  2. sargadelos
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

sargadelos , Jan 30, 2015 :
    It looks really great. I love how the sandtone cover looks, but sometimes I find it a bot rough. This seems to have the best of both worlds.
    Could you post a link "similar" to the one you bought it?
    Thank you.

3. jthe111
    Jelly Bean Jan 30, 2015

jthe111 , Jan 30, 2015 :
    I have the obsidian SS right now. I'm gonna pick up my bamboo this weekend :)

4. athanasios44
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

sargadelos likes this.
  5. athanasios44
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

Like I said though, be wary of swapping too many times. The more you remove a cover, the more it will creak. Even original.

6. jthe111
    Jelly Bean Jan 30, 2015

jthe111 , Jan 30, 2015 :
    I know. I also know where to get new ones for dirt cheap ;D

7. sargadelos
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

8. athanasios44
    Gingerbread Jan 30, 2015

Do tell...

9. mwebsterpgh
    KitKat Jan 30, 2015

mwebsterpgh , Jan 30, 2015 :
    I have the Obsidian Swap cover but have not yet put on my OPO since I also have the Bamboo and agree with you that you should not keep taking off back covers. My Bamboo fits perfect, however I think the Obsidian Swap cover is much nicer than the Sandstone.

stephenlotus and athanasios44 like this.
  10. hazzavg
    KitKat Feb 5, 2015

11. erzengelsachiel
    KitKat Feb 5, 2015

erzengelsachiel , Feb 5, 2015 :
    Obsidian is too similar to the sandstone for my tastes. I would love a copper styleswap though! Any young budding machinists out there???

12. jkbhso3
    Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2015

jkbhso3 , Feb 5, 2015 :
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I love the feel of it and now I don't have idiots using their fingernail to test the Sandstone swap.

13. Toulouse
    KitKat Feb 5, 2015

14. granttmartin
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2015

granttmartin , Feb 7, 2015 :
    Interesting. Your new black back looks great.

15. shujin51
    Gingerbread Feb 24, 2015

shujin51 , Feb 24, 2015 :
    Does this one looks darker than the sandstone black? Cause the sandstone is not really black, its more grey.