Official Cyanogemod 13 Review | " Really worth over OOS3.0.2 ? "

1. bala
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

bala , Jun 11, 2016 :
    Recently Oneplus rolled out the official OTA updates for all the op2 users and blessed them with with marshmallow goodness and along with that the kernel sources were also released which sparked the cyanogenmod team to officially support the oneplus 2 and they added the device into their pages with daily updates for nightly builds. I was using the OOS 3.0 to 3.0.2 and it is smooth and i agree it is much better than its 2.x.x counter versions.

When all were trying out 3.0.2 and shared their thoughts i decided to give a chance to cm13, as it finally got the tag of official status, so i rooted and stuffs and finally hopped onto the cm13 band wagon. Here is my honest review of it and is it worth it?

Pros :
    1. Tons of customisation out of the box (even more options than OOS could provide)
    2. The theming engine (Holy grail)
    3. Battery life is just amazing with wifi pretty much on and connected to a smartwatch almost 50% of the time i was getting 5-6 hours of SOT !! yeah with heavy usage. (Have attached the battery stats below)
    4. The UI is pretty much in fact much smoother than OOS 3.0.2 may be the animation speed is a bit more quicker but, app launch speed and animations are a breeze.
    5. The double tap to sleep on status bar is a real thing here ( Don't ever have the need to press power button to wake or sleep the device)
    6. The finger print scanner is quick and works as intended.
    7. The Live Display which allows you to have similar blue light filter thing as that of flux on PC's.
    8. You can straight away set ringtones for different SIM's right from the sound settings ( Which is missing on OOS 3.0.2)
    9. The Alert Slider is working perfect even OOS 3.0.2 has some bugs where it doesn't really switch or unmute sounds back but, here every mode works perfect.
    10. Profiles feature is a really cool thing to have where you could create presets on what sort of settings you need to your phone to fall down for a certain category its quick and simple just select the profile and all your settings would be set for that profile.
    11. You can even control the backlight intensity of the buttons.
    12. Finally Vibration intensity can be adjusted. There were people complaining OOS has very low vibration intensity set which leads to easily missing notifications or calls.
    13. You can put apps in a folder and just lock them. Doing this removes the app icons from the app drawer and you can use your fingerprint to access the locked folder. pretty neat feature in my opinion.
    14. 4K DCI recording option is present
    15. There is a DPI changer by default !

Cons :
    1. Camera quality is a bit low when compared to OOS roms don't get me wrong it is working fine with OIS really kicking in yeah! OIS is also working but the quality is not up to OOS standards.
    2. The phone takes hell lot of time to get fully charged expect at least 30-35 mins plus you usual charging time in OOS.
    3. Trebuchet launcher is a bit buggy not a real big deal but sometimes it just gets stuck ! i only had it happen once in my 3 days of usages with cm13.
    4. Sound quality is pretty much under OOS 3.0.2, if you are a pro and could tune your sound as you want with the provided default AudioFX then you are good to go.

How to over come cons :
    1. You could use the OOS camera which is ported from the OOS roms just download the zip and flash, enjoy the bug free OOS camera experience in cm13.
    2. Just you another launcher like NOVA launcher bruh.
    3. Flash the viper4droid thing and enjoy the pleasant audio which could be much more fuller with few tweaks.

Is it worth over OOS 3.0.2?
    My honest answer would be hell yeah ! It has more customisations and control than the stock rom OP2 has and also it is stable, yeah it is nightly builds but trust me there are no real major bugs like no random reboot of that sorts.

I would say just flash the SuperSU.zip and install xposed framework and get more out of your phone ! Also if you are geek you can go even more deep by flashing the boeffla kernel and then tweak to your hearts content yeah even you an tweak the display RGB values etc with the app provided.

Overall much more snappier than OOS 3.0.2 and happy flashing cm13 before jumping onto the cm13 band wagon make sure you back up your data just incase something goes wrong.

Attached Files:

mido25, Deepak.Si, Luke-S and 4 others like this.
  2. Jitesh Saitawadekar
    KitKat Jun 11, 2016

Jitesh Saitawadekar , Jun 11, 2016 :
    Is this the first time you flashed CM??? Battery life is not as good as 3.0.2 it seems other than you there were few who gave a feedback on battery stats and they use to get 3 to 4 hrs and please provide the apps that you used it depends on that too??? So that we can see the usage of apps??

gopinathr and neerajlag like this.
  3. bala
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

bala , Jun 11, 2016 :
    No i use cm on pretty much all my phones mi3 and even the rusty old s3 rocks on cm13..i tried unofficial cm13 but switched to OOS when it came to beta testing now i'm back to cm13.well i don't gave heavy but i use my phone for social media apps and texting a ton ! and a thing to note is i play Clash of clans and it ends up running pretty much every now and then..well try clearing the cache and dalvik cache and see does it help and i use the phone on normal performance mode ...just rooted and using no kernel tweaks of that sorts.

gopinathr likes this.
  4. Jitesh Saitawadekar
    KitKat Jun 11, 2016

No I have installed 3.0.2 last to last night and till now I am happy with it for the first cycle I am getting more than 4hr 45ms and still running 25% battery ;)

gopinathr, Robson, bala and 1 other person like this.
  5. xColdFustionx
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

Jitesh Saitawadekar likes this.
  6. bala
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

bala , Jun 11, 2016 :
    for me it is the opposite ! may be due to clean install i feel the change...with OOS roms i always dirty flashed instead of a clean install

7. abhishekgarg294
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 11, 2016

abhishekgarg294 , Jun 11, 2016 :
    Exodus is also great rom.....cm always best....oos bit heavier than other custom roms and sucks more battery....

8. bala
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

bala , Jun 11, 2016 :
    Does it support OTA? and how is the battery life and general performance ?

9. abhishekgarg294
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 11, 2016

abhishekgarg294 , Jun 11, 2016 :
    Battery life is very good....dnt know abt ota as i flashed yesterday....

gopinathr likes this.
  10. Jitesh Saitawadekar
    KitKat Jun 11, 2016

Exodus is official so it supports ota it seems.

11. xColdFustionx
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

xColdFustionx , Jun 11, 2016 :
    Yeah it supports OTA .Performance wise it is better than OOS 3 and CM 13.Overall this is the best ROM i have ever used in my OnePlus 2.Just flash the ROM and you will feel the difference

gopinathr likes this.
  12. bala
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

bala , Jun 11, 2016 :
    cool i would give it a try after sometime with cm13,,best thing is nandroid backup and restore ! feels like a breeze to get back where we took off..

gopinathr and AkileshAkil like this.
  13. neerajlag
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

bala and gopinathr like this.
  14. gopinathr
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2016

gopinathr , Jun 11, 2016 :
    I used Greenify, amplify and powernap xposed & Boeffla kernel on both cm13 and OOS.
    CM13 gives me better battery than OOS for sure.
    As Bala mentioned, OOS camera makes my life easy. No looking back at OOS again :))

sahil_starrh and bala like this.
  15. gopinathr
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2016

I lost my MI3 somewhere. Best phone I have every used. :)
    Developers of MI3 are really great. Damn good mobile.

OP2 with CM13 fills up the void now :)

bala likes this.
  16. bala
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

bala , Jun 11, 2016 :
    LOL man that hell loads of things u have there to play with XD feel like iron man and jarvis ? mouthfull of apps there...

gopinathr likes this.
  17. gopinathr
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2016

Adaway, Betterbattery stats, Greenify, powernap, amplify, bootmanager, xposed are my default apps when i flash a rom apart from feedly, google+, and whatsapp. :p

bala likes this.
  18. Chathuska
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2016

Chathuska , Jun 11, 2016 :
    I love OOS 3.0.2 and its very stable... I'll use OOS until CM13 release snapshot a stable version..

bala, gopinathr and ngydat like this.
  19. sahil_starrh
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2016

gopinathr likes this.
  20. dpalejwala
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2016

dpalejwala , Jun 11, 2016 :
    completely agree with you
    just flashed the room
    it's just smooth as hell
    OP2 deserves such softwere and performing at it's best
    can't demand for more