OFFICIAL: No Project Treble on any of OnePlus current devices.

1. nisarbaig Froyo Dec 7, 2017

nisarbaig, Dec 7, 2017 :
    OnePlus has already confirmed that it'll not have Project Treble on any of its current devices, including the recently launched OnePlus 5T. What are your thoughts on the official statement by OnePlus?

Official statement by OnePlus: Project Treble requires a storage partition, by which the Android framework and vendor image are separated. However, because partitions were not required of Android N and previous versions of Android, all of our current devices do not feature a partition. According to our tests, if we were to modify the partition layout via OTA there is a risk that devices will brick during the partitioning. We feel this poses too great a risk for our community of users, which is why we have decided not to implement Project Treble on current OnePlus devices.

Note: For those who aren't aware, Project Treble was announced by Google several months ago as a feature of Android Oreo. It basically modularizes the Android OS so that OEM customizations stay separate from Android, which would effectively lead to reduced time between update roll outs.

bhowes likes this.
  2. TempusSolo Froyo Dec 7, 2017

TempusSolo, Dec 7, 2017 :
    I'm not really that concerned. I'll roll with this little buy for 2 years or so. When its time to upgrade, every phone will come with Treble. We've managed to get this far without it, I think I can go another 24 months.

3. jonathanlyng Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2017

jonathanlyng, Dec 7, 2017 :
    project Treble has value for Devs but it's not a revolution for users. independant ROMs apply security updates as soon as they appear yet have no paid devs. Treble isn't necessary to make Oreo or even P work. As for future versions (once 1+ stop support for 5 and 5t) I am pretty confidant Indies will support the devices.

Impulse_CK likes this.
  4. MoWeb Froyo Dec 7, 2017

MoWeb, Dec 7, 2017 :
    If a company like Essential does project treble I'll call BS on this statement. I'm in a wait and see mode. Nonetheless I'm never buying from Oneplus again so don't really care at this point. Don't even care if they never update my OP5 again. Once it dies (battery capacity) it's Google brand only for me. I'll just use the OP5 as a dash cam or similar.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

jayanthramkv and Ortizalx like this.
  5. nilesh.pimpale Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

nilesh.pimpale, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Not supporting treble is certainly disappointing, for one plus which has released updates regularly, it is an additional assurance to us mortals, but with OP declining it certainly is not a good news. I hope OP does reconsider their decision and joins.

6. Huigiebaby Honeycomb Dec 7, 2017

Huigiebaby, Dec 7, 2017 :
    I would not mind reinstalling my phone from scrap, got a backup in the cloud of the most important stuff.

7. Ortizalx Froyo Dec 7, 2017

Ortizalx, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Take care with the jelly effect!

8. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 7, 2017

Dunnow, Dec 7, 2017 :
    it was official for a while already... stop making it a huge ******* deal...

9. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 7, 2017

Dunnow, Dec 7, 2017 :
    OP5t does NOT have treble BECAUSE the builds will be merged with OP5, since OP5 did not have the partition done, would be no point to create it in 5t and have DOUBLE the tasks to do. Build one ROM for treble (and all OnePlus code rewritten due to TREBLE code specifications), one rom for OP5, one rom for OP3/3t.

So... instead of managing 2 roms, as they will do now (5 and 5t / 3 and 3t) you are asking to manage THREE roms AND one of them to be completely different codebase than the other 2.

That makes no ******* sense.

Period.

Wait 6 months or 7 and get OP6. That will for sure support Treble.

10. TVTV Froyo Dec 7, 2017

TVTV, Dec 7, 2017 :
    LOL, wait a few months to buy OP 6 he says, what a smart remark. Like we all have the money to change phones like we change socks.
    OnePlus has chickened out of Treble and that's that, either due to greed (money) or laziness. Like it or not, Treble would have been great for us with OP3/T as it'd be easier to have 3rd party updates for them after OnePlus cuts official support.

MoWeb likes this.