One can FINALLY root Galaxy S7

1. jerrymilton
    Jelly Bean Mar 8, 2017

jerrymilton , Mar 8, 2017 :
    Though of course it voids your warranty and is a pain in the ***. A reminder of how good we have it owning a OnePlus. Remember that the next time you wanna MOAN on the forum.

https://goo.gl/Q36UKH

2. ShortyEx
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 8, 2017

ShortyEx , Mar 8, 2017 :
    That procedure seems f'ing brutal.

But to be fair, the reason why a lot of people complain on the forums is the lack of transparency and communication from OnePlus towards it's customers. I think everyone who wants to install roms and play around is pretty happy with that part of owning a OnePlus :)

3. sushil3629
    Gingerbread Mar 8, 2017

Ferdinandjaeger and mhmdkhdeir like this.
  4. ShortyEx

ShortyEx , Mar 8, 2017 :
    You seem to have responded to this thread without reading the OP.

5. funmunke
    Marshmallow Mar 8, 2017

funmunke , Mar 8, 2017 :
    I remember rooting my HTC M8. I thought that was bad. This looks ten times worse.

meatandy, ColinMcDrei and The1Lion like this.
  6. TheSpoken

TheSpoken , Mar 8, 2017 :
    That is why I hate Samsung phones. Terrible touchwiz and the inability to change to another rom easily.

7. malidan
    Nougat Mar 8, 2017

malidan , Mar 8, 2017 :
    The Exynos version had root a long time ago, so anyone who required it should have bought that version.
    Not only for root but the fact that it's better.

8. Randomx
    Eclair Mar 8, 2017

Randomx , Mar 8, 2017 :
    I rooted my note 7 the very first day. Too bad I had to give it back

9. malidan
    Nougat Mar 8, 2017

malidan , Mar 8, 2017 :
    Don't the look that difficult to me, it looks pretty similar to the Xiaomi method using a Dev rom.
    LG G3 was a b... breaker.

funmunke likes this.
  10. funmunke
    Marshmallow Mar 8, 2017

funmunke , Mar 8, 2017 :
    Ah, hope you don't want kids. My condolences.

meatandy, Sun90 and malidan like this.
  11. malidan
    Nougat Mar 8, 2017

malidan , Mar 8, 2017 :
    I am now happily retired from baby making, but not from the fun of baby making;)

funmunke likes this.
  12. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 8, 2017

Dunnow , Mar 8, 2017 :
    No it does not.

If you cared to read you would've gotten to this line:
    NO - this process does NOT trip the KNOX counter

But that's to be expected of the likes of you, people who have their mind set on "everything outside OP voids warranty" even tho takign care of those things, even if they did, is as easy as flashing from scrach a few files with odin. If you ask me, much faster and reliable than what OnePlus expects you to do if you want to change ROMs... (or root) Even more considering they forcefully restore the recovery to their own shitty one.

But hey, lets just all hate Samsung because 6 years ago their custom layer was kinda annoying.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

13. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 8, 2017

Dunnow , Mar 8, 2017 :
    For Samsung
    1. Obviously, Download all needed files in advance and unzip accordingly.
    2. Put your phone in download mode (Volume Down, Home and Power) then click home again to continue to download mode
    3. Launch the modified ODIN on your PC
    4. Unzip ENG BOOT file and get the boot.tar for your device (in my case it was the S7edge_qualcomm.tar was the file I needed for the S7 Edge) DO NOT UNZIP THE TAR FILE.
    5. Put that .tar file in AP section of ODIN
    6. Connect your phone, you should see a lighted COM port selected in ODIN meaning your good to go.
    7. CLICK START in Odin. You Phone will flash the file quickly and restart.
    8. Let it boot up fully and wait until you can unlock the phone (go to desktop of the phone)
    9. Now open a CMD prompt on the computer and navigate to where you downloaded and unzipped the SuperSU 2.79 earlier
    10. in the CMD prompt type root.bat this will push the required files to the phone and it will be rooted when its completed.
    11. After a few minutes your phone will restart, and you will have SuperSU and root access on Android 7.0 Nougat.

For OnePlus

1. download files
    2. enable dev settings
    3. enable the possibility to disable OEM lock
    4. enter fastboot mode
    5. install command line ADB applications
    6. make sure (in an overly complicated fashion) they run through the Windows PATH to avoid problems
    7. Notice the drivers provided by oneplus don't work half the time, go get Koush ones, and install (not tedious at all to find out)
    8. push a custom recovery through annoying CMD/ADB commands (which btw, will format your device)
    9. try to enter it
    10. notice you cannot because OP overrides it on boot
    11. push the custom recovery again (step 8 basically) but this time make sure you do run an extra command for booting the recovery from the ADB
    12. install an iffy zip file that's supposed to contain only the SU files
    13. reboot and hope everything went OK
    Seems harder to root OnePlus phones than samsung ones, even more, considering their steps (samsung ones) are separated on various ones on how to use one single windows desktop application... and one of them is actually launching the program... and another one, connecting the phone... both steps I've skipped on the OnePlus version... and the last one is done automatically by odin, you don't even have to manually reboot a thing. Just place a couple files here and there and hit the "run" button...

Sure, it's super overly complicated to root a samsung.

Guess what, it's even LESS steps to put away the "tempered with" flag. In case it even triggered at all. Even after facefucking a Samsung device you can send it to warranty as long as you were able to turn it on and enter download mode.

But once again, lets just hate for the sake of it.

i bet @sfomin could even make the samsung steps be faster by the sheer will of his being.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

malidan, sfomin and Sun90 like this.
  14. sushil3629
    Gingerbread Mar 9, 2017

sushil3629 , Mar 9, 2017 :
    yeah sorry.. my bad

cmitchellshaw likes this.
  15. ashwin.243
    Honeycomb Mar 9, 2017

ashwin.243 , Mar 9, 2017 :
    I totally agree to your point that people buy OnePlus because they have freedom of installing any ROMs.

16. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 9, 2017

arvindbadri , Mar 9, 2017 :
    Point 6, 7, 8 are bullshit, mate. Point 6 and 7 should be merged with 5. 9, 10, 11 are for people who couldn't read the instructions properly.

You can't include "everything that could go wrong" inside a reasonable list of steps required. It is assumed that you have enough technical expertise to figure out driver issues and set the command line path. If you can't follow instructions to the dot, you shouldn't be rooting.

If we were to include everything that could go wrong with rooting the S7, we'd reach 50 points :)

ODIN is proprietary, remember. Proprietary software gives you convenience at the cost of having to pirate it and be at the mercy of original devs.

17. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 9, 2017

Dunnow , Mar 9, 2017 :
    The same can be said for samsung insteuctions tho right?

I was just being equal.

The only "weird step" in samsung guide is extracting a file for your phone before, the rest can be said by "use odin normally from here on"

Odin being this or that does not matter here.
    Im just showing that the "overly complicated process" for what some users here are critizising samsung is smoke.

Actually. I've rooted and unlocled every single device I have ever owned, and then some more for friends and family. And I can assure you, OP devices are the ones that give more trouble.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

18. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 9, 2017

arvindbadri , Mar 9, 2017 :
    I would like to respectfully disagree -- it has come to the realm of opinion: you prefer using a black box software that doesn't tell you what it's doing in the background, and I prefer to get my hands dirty and use the command line and know exactly what I'm doing and exactly how to undo that.

What I will accept as a shortcoming is the fact that it's exponentially more useful to root it on day 1 of buying an OP device rather than a few months after buying it because unlocking it wipes it, and the stock recovery doesn't allow you to take nandroid backups.

The stock recovery is trash.

19. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 9, 2017

Dunnow , Mar 9, 2017 :
    Oh, and proving too that the mister hamilton lies, once more, in this instance, about voiding warranty.

20. jerrymilton
    Jelly Bean Mar 9, 2017

jerrymilton , Mar 9, 2017 :
    props on the most long winded and convulated description of loading and rooting a oneplus....a process that takes anyone with a brain (and that has previously owned a oneplus) 5 minutes if not less tops. the fact that Snapdragon versioin of the S7 wasn't rootable straight out of the gate speaks volumes. but once again, you just complain about one plus for the sake of complaining.

JorgeManuelSilva91 likes this.