One Handed Mode #PMChallenge

1. iTayGNR Eclair Feb 5, 2019

iTayGNR, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Let's be honest, the screens of OnePlus devices are big. Sometimes, even a bit too big. Since the OnePlus X we have not seen any compact device, and I personally know some people who give up on OnePlus because of the screen size, and the discomfort it may result for tiny-handed users.

Coming from a Galaxy S8, I can say OnePlus is a huge upgrade. But there is this one feature I miss the most, and it's One handed mode.
    This simple-to-implement feature is still missing from Oxygen OS and I believe its implementation may lead to a growth in sales.

Who are the users?
    Everyone with smaller hands than average. Especially noticeable for women and young people.
    Plus, no thumb can reach to the upper-side corner, so I believe all users may benefit from it.

What is the proposed function?
    It's actually really simple; the OHM can be toggled by a gesture (I was thinking of a diagonal pull from the bottom corners like on Samsung devices, or maybe pulling down the navigation pill on Android Pie and up).
    I made a small demo for this behavior:

[​IMG]

This gesture makes the viewport smaller whilst keeps the aspect ratio of the screen, thus making the whole device a lot more accessible.

What is the user value?
    As explained, the whole operation of the device is much easier for people with smaller hands, or just people who are not willing to use their both hands all the time for simple things like pulling the notification center or reaching anything in the action bar.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    This feature exists on other devices for years, but missing from Oxygen OS. It may not be superior in terms of functionality, but it is crucial for some users. In addition, I trust the folks at OnePlus to perfectly implement it, in such a way it will be better than what other competitors have. For example, Samsung does have OHM in their Samsung Experience but it's a bit sluggish and sometimes confusing, not mentioning the bad looks it has.
    I believe that my demo above shows the simplest implementation, while keeping the good-looking reputation of Oxygen OS features.

2. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 5, 2019

3. iTayGNR Eclair Feb 5, 2019

iTayGNR, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Do you have a link?

4. hiimanshh Eclair Feb 5, 2019

hiimanshh, Feb 5, 2019 :
    bro i m also using 6t nd yupp i m agree with your concern.we need this feature.[e]1f60d[/e]

5. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 5, 2019

6. Peybro Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

Peybro, Feb 6, 2019 :
    I also think there should be a solution for the big screens but I'm more into what Samsung did with their OneUI where the whole UI is designed to be reachable by one hand (and can be extended by 2 hands).

7. iTayGNR Eclair Feb 6, 2019

iTayGNR, Feb 6, 2019 :
    the thing about OneUI that it results tons of dead space.
    1549452433474.jpg
    See ny attachment as an example. They say the top half should be for viewing stuff, but all there is is just a giant title. It shouldn't be like that. They should have pay much more effort into this concept to make it revolutionary. Currently it's just a waste of space..

mekartikshah likes this.
  8. Peybro Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

Peybro, Feb 6, 2019 :
    But can't you swipe up so that the blank space disappears and it looks same as normally?

9. iTayGNR Eclair Feb 6, 2019

iTayGNR, Feb 6, 2019 :
    You're right, like on iOS. But not all apps are chat lists, sometime it's just ridiculous. When I first saw OneUI I was thinking "So typical Samsung".

mekartikshah and Peybro like this.
  10. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

Gibbi03, Feb 6, 2019 :
    *Caution, you can't unsee what I'm about to tell you*

So I wonder if they don't do it because from a design stand point it looks odd with one of the bottom corners being super round in ratio to the rest of the one-handed mode display.

11. iTayGNR Eclair Feb 6, 2019

iTayGNR, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Currently it seems like corner radius doesn't bother OnePlus. Try opening a fullscreen app, the top corners' radius is so tiny in comparison to the bottom ones.

In addition things like that could totally be controlled from software.

Gibbi03 likes this.
  12. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

Gibbi03, Feb 6, 2019 :

iTayGNR

Currently it seems like corner radius doesn't bother OnePlus. Try opening a fullscreen app, the top corners' radius is so tiny in comparison to the bottom ones.

In addition things like that could totally be controlled from software.​

Dude! I know it's the worst! And in recent apps if you slowly move the windowed app bigger, the corners turn into 90° corners!! So you're probably right, it was just a thought.

iTayGNR likes this.
  13. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

14. iTayGNR Eclair Feb 6, 2019

iTayGNR, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Photoshop and After Effects

Gibbi03 likes this.
  15. mekartikshah Donut Feb 21, 2019

mekartikshah, Feb 21, 2019 :
    I am about to post this idea, glad that someone already posted it. I hope we got this feature in the new Oxygen OS.

iTayGNR likes this.