One out of 2 OnePlus 7 Pro is now Dead

1. gsimonelli
    Donut May 30, 2019

gsimonelli , May 30, 2019 :
    I bought 2 OnePlus 7 Pro phones and one is completely dead. Turned off and will not turn back on. Started with calling out issues.

2. bayar2
    Cupcake May 31, 2019

rbrtfr likes this.
  3. zesler
    Cupcake May 31, 2019

rbrtfr likes this.
  4. zesler
    Cupcake May 31, 2019

zesler , May 31, 2019 :
    update - after plugging in with a non OPO charger, holding power + vol up booted the phone - it was plugged in overnight to the OPO charger, but battery is somehow only at 24% - maybe there's an issue with the charger from a dead battery?

kevm66, spyfly, NinJay and 1 other person like this.
  5. N1552841389457
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

N1552841389457 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    My 10 days old pro 7 died Friday night some time also. Charged to 100%, left it overnight on the night stand and died some time in my of night. Had to spend $20 to return it back. Debating to order another one or buy different brand as this was my first OnePlus phone and for the defective phone i had to pay shipping to return. Wondering what if it happens with second one also. If they had send me prepaid shipping lable, then i would have thought of ordering another 7 pro.

6. Gmx333
    Eclair Jun 2, 2019

Gmx333 , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I had the same problem and resumed the phone holding vol up+power after few attempts.
    This is my first Oneplus and I’m surprised since I never owned a device with such severe bugs.

O1567045439794, rbrtfr and NinJay like this.
  7. t5straley
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

t5straley , Jun 2, 2019 :
    I had the exact same problem. already sent back to OnePlus. no update yet. mine was working on the way to work and suddenly shut off and gathered condensation in the camera lens anytime it was near a fan or air conditioning in my car

rbrtfr likes this.
  8. Warriyo
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

Warriyo , Jun 2, 2019 :
    Mine just did this same thing. Died out of nowhere. I wasn't using it then wanted to check notifications and it was dead. Held the power button for a good 15 seconds but nothing happened. But that "Power + volume up" combo worked. Booted back up normally. Very scary

Andrei_Popov likes this.
  9. gsimonelli
    Donut Jun 3, 2019

gsimonelli , Jun 3, 2019 :
    I was able to restart it by holding the volume up and at same time pressing the power button. It took a few seconds but it worked. Thanks to support for that one.

O1567045439794, Sun_Dancer and NinJay like this.
  10. NadineClaudia
    Eclair Jun 3, 2019

NadineClaudia , Jun 3, 2019 :
    Same problem for me... I found it dead saturday morning :eek: and no way to switch it on. Finally, the left button + power on trick worked and my OP 7 pro is OK now. :p

G_Xuan_Li_BzgH and NinJay like this.
  11. t5straley
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

t5straley , Jun 3, 2019 :
    no luck with doing volume up and power for me. nothing worked at all. I would hold power for a minute and it would vibrate once but no screen output

ravish5497 likes this.
  12. D1558780911419
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

Isaias_Herrera likes this.
  13. daksh_j
    Honeycomb Jun 4, 2019

daksh_j , Jun 4, 2019 :
    My OP 7 Pro is totally gone at the moment. I remember the last thing I did was turn on the WiFi Hotspot. The screen hung, and the phone automatically rebooted. The phone turned on, but it hung within a few seconds again. Then.... it refused to start. I cleared cache from the recovery; still nothing. Reset system settings; was able to get to the setup wizard screen, but the phone would hang in under 5 seconds (I tested it by rotating the screen as soon as it started, and then changing the alert slider to see if the notification in the status bar would change -- didn't). Now, the phone is stuck in that same situation; no progress at all. I'm somehow not liking this feeling. My previous OP 5T never hung or rebooted in 2 years, and it still works perfectly.

14. t5straley
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

t5straley , Jun 4, 2019 :
    my OnePlus was sent back and has passed inspection so they are aware and taking care of me

15. jurschel
    Gingerbread Jun 4, 2019

jurschel , Jun 4, 2019 :
    Yep same problem mine had. Let the battery drain down below 50% and see if you can get it to stay up for a while. I RMA'd mine. I suggest you do the same thing. Mine was essentially in a bootloop after the battery hit about 60%. Up for a minute or so then just reboot over and over until it wsa below 50% and I could use it for a while but it still rebooted. Bad quality on these phones for sure. RMA soon don't let the 15 days slip by you. It sucks but you will have to pay for shipping and won't be refunded and you will probably have to wait 2-3 weeks to get a replacement. So if you don't want to wait just RMA for refund and ship it there fast and you'll get most of your money back minus shipping.

Krishna2142 likes this.
  16. T1545439874102
    Cupcake Jun 5, 2019

T1545439874102 , Jun 5, 2019 :
    Mine died yesterday for no reason. I tried the volume up and power trick and it revived.

I ask OnePlus for a refund as I'm still in the 15 days and they sent me all the steps to do this.

Now I should I hold on to it or just get a refund and move on? I have had only iPhones and this was my first move out of the Apple ecosystem. I feel the quality is not on the same level but I really like the no notch and on screen unlock. I haven't sold my iPhoneX yet so the switch back would be seamless. Will the phone get better with updates or is this a major flaw and I should just get the refund?

Thanks!

rbrtfr likes this.
  17. peashooter
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

peashooter , Jun 6, 2019 :

Mine died while on 2 week vacation. Screen issues. Phone would vibrate and screen would come on sometimes. I ended up calling 911 twice because I couldn't see any screen.

Very disappointed. Have to wait until I get home to return.

18. tokolowicz
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

tokolowicz , Jun 6, 2019 :
    Just happened to me as well. Was using my phone fine all morning. No issues since I got the phone last week. Pulled out of my pocket after walking to a meeting and the phone is dead! Holding the power button didn't do anything. Plugging into a charger didn't do anything. After searching these forums the power button and volume up trick powered it back on. I had 96% battery upon powering back on.

Is OnePlus acknowledging these failures? Is this a HW or SW issue? What do I do? RMA or wait to see if this happens again?

19. SlimJimmy
    Donut Jun 6, 2019

SlimJimmy , Jun 6, 2019 :
    This just happened to my 7 pro today, very disheartening :(. Thanks to @zesler for the pwr + vol up tip.

Hope OnePlus can update us about this issue soon.

20. tokolowicz
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

tokolowicz , Jun 6, 2019 :
    Just spoke with support, OnePlus acknowledged there may be a software issue with the OnePlus 7 Pro, and consulting is looking into it. Will keep my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen again.

Will be interesting to know if this has bitten any users more than once.