One Plus 2 : Hits and Misses

1. anuraagkanodia
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2015

anuraagkanodia , Jul 30, 2015 :
    Here are some of my initial impressions on the OPT.

Hits :
    1. The fingerprint sensor :
    I believe this is the most useful addition to OPT and at a price point of 25k its VFM. Also OPT is a big phone so reaching the unlock button all the time may not be possible.You can also program the key- so tapping it once takes you home, twice to open camera, long press for Google now.Definitely a +1.

2. 4GB RAM, with Snapdragon 810.
    Well what do I say , its as powerful as any 30-40k laptop. Plus this specs make sure that the phone is future proof and you'll face no to very less lag, with increasing RAM requirements in Android. Heating on the 810 is something they have improved on in the OPT.

3.USB Type C
    Future proof, faster transfer speeds, and the cable is reversible at both ends. One plus is offering a converter with the USB - C cable for backward compatibility to micro usb - neat! ( as seen in the VR launch video)

I was doubtful on this being a hit as currently everything is micro USB. You have spare micro USB cables and not type C, the OTG pendrives which I use extensively is also micro USB and in case you forget your charger there's always someone with a micro USB cable/charger. But the converter helps.

4.Price :
    25k INR for 64GB is a steal. One plus one was priced at 22k for the 64GB.

Misses :
    1. IR blaster :
    I believe having this on the OPT could have made the phone a complete flagship killer.It is used more than NFC, The M9 has it, the S6 has it, the G4 has it why not OPT?

2. Battery charge time :
    No quick charge was definitely a miss,with One plus claiming a time of 3h 20mins (approx) for a full charge . Quick charge would have been pretty fitting over here to charge that big battery in a short time. I think because of USB - C this was excluded.

As for the some other missing features such as NFC & Wireless charging, I don't feel it'll make a big difference.

In India atleast payments through NFC at retailers is a distant dream and I don't think there is any practical use.I have had the GNex and the OPO and I have rarely ( read Never) used the NFC.

Wireless charging again isn't a must have feature. Most people who have a phone which can wirelessly charge don't have a wireless charger.

Conclusion :
    OPT is a real VFM, based on the ideas and principles which went into making the OPO only taking it a bit further. IR blaster and quick charge is something i feel could have been included, still hoping that there's a way to enable quick charge.

(Constructive comments appreciated)

2. mohanbabhu
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2015

3. Abby
    KitKat Jul 30, 2015

4. NaterTots
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2015

NaterTots , Jul 30, 2015 :
    In the same way that where you live is a factor for NFC, where I live NFC payment stations are everywhere. So that's a factor for me.

5. Michklomp
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 30, 2015

6. Mathan Sundar
    Froyo Jul 30, 2015

Mathan Sundar , Jul 30, 2015 :
    Quick charge is a feature which everyone likes to see in their mobiles, probably Oneplus should have implemented it in 2

karlockhart likes this.
  7. peterbatchelar
    Donut Jul 30, 2015

peterbatchelar , Jul 30, 2015 :
    I think that quick charge would have been a welcome accessory to all users but then no nfc could be a problem for some people and I think that nfc is a big one to miss out. Overall amazing specs for an amazing price, hope it lives up to the expectations!

karlockhart likes this.
  8. anuraagkanodia
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2015

I definitely agree with you. But at the price point I think there's so much you can do. They put in a Fingerprint sensor making online payments secure. They decided to remove the NFC as majority of the customers in their big markets didn't use NFC much.

9. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Jul 30, 2015

MentalDraco , Jul 30, 2015 :
    the more you add the bigger the price, some pll need NFC and IR blaster, a lot don t. The quick charge is the only thing that would have been nice, but then again if the battery lasts nice and good like the opo one it shan't be a problem.

gurveenajmani and rphlfjrd like this.
  10. Kaizoku

Kaizoku , Jul 30, 2015 :
    I have a feeling the final product will charge faster than the preview model.

Deactivated User and MentalDraco like this.
  11. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Jul 30, 2015

MentalDraco , Jul 30, 2015 :
    probably , and some improvements will aid battery life 4 sure , we shall wait, we shall hope, we shall see...

12. NaterTots
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2015

NaterTots , Jul 30, 2015 :
    But NFC and a fingerprint sensor would work hand in hand. The fingerprint reader very quickly unlocks your phone to activate the NFC.

So you're saying that Oneplus has decided to only focus on emerging markets rather than everywhere. Maybe that'll work. Maybe it won't.

anuraagkanodia likes this.
  13. anuraagkanodia
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2015

I definitely hope so. *Fingers crossed*

14. anuraagkanodia
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2015

Maybe
    Maybe!

15. Kaizoku

Kaizoku , Jul 30, 2015 :
    Well said.

MentalDraco likes this.
  16. Electro
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2015

17. fredbenichou
    Froyo Jul 30, 2015

fredbenichou , Jul 30, 2015 :
    Most of users are using 10% of the specs. I'd rather have a nice and well priced phone than a full specs phone i will rarely use. OnePlus us focusing on users feedbacks and I like that.
    You compare to phone that are double the price of the OPT. Although oneplus is aggresive in termes of price, it can not do miracles and inlcude everyone else does and not impact price.
    For me best features is USB C . It's like when Apple took out the CD-ROM player on mac. Visionnary

18. GhostDK
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2015

GhostDK , Jul 30, 2015 :
    Quick charge = killing the battery faster
    NFC = No mobile payment, no quick transfer of data, no key to my house and so on.
    No 4G+ = Not future proof when they have just started on this in my country. With 4G+ I can get a speed 4 times greater than with just 4G
    No USB 3.0 or 3.0 = Type C is a waste of money, you will not get faster data transfer and you will not get quicker charge.

I would rather pay 200 dollars more to get a phone with NFC and 4G+. I am gonna have this phone for 3 years at least.

vittunen likes this.
  19. bikas

bikas , Jul 30, 2015 :
    Without NFC, fingerprint sensor is a toy to me. It cannot be used as a payment now, and I generally don't use any PIN/ password on my device.

I've NFC tags at home, and yeah in India. I do have wireless chargers as well.

USB Type-C doesn't bring much to table given it has same of USB 2.0 standards. And I'm pretty good in plugging in the cable in my phone in first try (self boasting, yay!).

I think OPT has very particular audience targeted in mind. It's not for universal acceptance or adoption.

Having said that I don't think OPT will be my purchase, as it lacks the feature I'm using/ planning to use in future.

Side Note - ICICI has already launched Tap and Pay NFC payment in India with others to follow suite by this year. This is not a distant dream.

20. Koopmanmarloes
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2015

dnewman007 and Nevil Patel like this.