One Plus 5 Failed in the most hyped feature - Camera

1. snoopy5
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2017

snoopy5 , Jun 29, 2017 :
    You both are missing the point. We understand that this is the way how it works currently. But this behaviour of the camera is not what OP was selling when announcing the phone.

At the end of the day, the user has no control over the second camera. He can not decide when to use what. Sorry but for this I do not need a second camera!

Managing the expectations. OP oversold the dualcamera feature without realizing what kind of frustration they get once the users try to use it. I would NEVER have bought the OP5, if I would have known this in advance!

Very ugly. And not at all how it should blurr the background in reality. Look at the left side. The background is a lot sharper than on the right side. The depth of field is totally wrong calculated in this image.

2. pojr
    Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2017

pojr , Jun 29, 2017 :
    Wat. The camera is one of the few things I have no complaints about

3. Bazsa86
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2017

Bazsa86 , Jun 29, 2017 :
    "camera works great..." and posts a blurry oil painting as a proof? o_O :D

ChrisAbbottHauxwell likes this.
  4. G_Akshay_Agrawal_aMFp
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2017

G_Akshay_Agrawal_aMFp , Jun 29, 2017 :
    I personally am terribly disappointed with the camera performance.
    the portrait mode is stupidest thing I have come across.

as a photographer I can easily spot the bluff out which OP is doing here.

instead of creating shallow depth of field using the wide aperture of f/1.7 it is simply applying blur (technically it's called gaussian blur effect in Photoshop) to the entire area minus the subject. this is plain foolish and stupid.

it looks pathetic and fake. not to mention absolutely wannabe-ish.

if this was the only plus point of OP5's camera, then I'm sure it's a disaster of a feature.

the telephoto lens is another sham. I could literally count the no of pixels it produced when I clicked a 8X zoom picture. try comparing the picture quality with an iPhone 7+ and you'll see a remarkable difference in the picture quality.

if camera was supposed to be bomb feature of OP5, it has already diffused.

5. p51d007
    KitKat Jun 29, 2017

p51d007 , Jun 29, 2017 :
    Here we go!
    Oh, they'll fix it with a software update...
    Hey Oppo...You've had FIVE phones to figure out how to get it right, but you still haven't gotten it right
    without endless updates. Spend a buck and BETA test them before you release it!

6. p51d007
    KitKat Jun 29, 2017

p51d007 , Jun 29, 2017 :
    The problem with the camera IMO, is Oppo WENT CHEAP...they "settled"...
    Instead of using a HARDWARE based OIS, they went with a SOFTWARE based OIS, used a slightly
    faster lens, faster "shutter" speed, in hopes of boosting low light performance and focus. Sorry, no amount of
    software anything, can equal the ability of a hardware based OIS to stabilize the image.

7. Viyat
    Eclair Jun 29, 2017

Viyat , Jun 29, 2017 :
    That's a great pic, and I've taken some too. But I do have to agree. Anything but the perfect lighting conditions, or just light in general in my experience has led to really sub par photos.

it's great at close ups and portraits, but outside of that it is a little disappointing.

Try using the depth effect indoors on your dog (beautiful btw) and you'll see.

salvo.cagliari likes this.
  8. dimscene
    Donut Jun 29, 2017

dimscene , Jun 29, 2017 :
    The camera isn't great but it trades with the 3T camera which is okay. I came from 5X/Pixel camera which takes better dim lighting pictures, but the OP5 sort of, but not really, makes up for it by being faster.

9. salvo.cagliari
    Froyo Jun 29, 2017

salvo.cagliari , Jun 29, 2017 :
    I agree that the indoor depth effect isn't so good but look at that indoor shots. I just used the HQ (or HD) mode instead of the hdr and it is more detailed and clear! In HDR mode the numbers on the calendar are blurry, but in the HQ mode there isn't that problem, as you can see :) Try it and let me know :) i think that it just need a software update for the HDR mode.
    1498751130865.jpg

1498751131035.jpg

10. amitpandeyca
    Donut Jun 29, 2017

11. G_swaroop_krishna_nGre
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2017

12. Viyat
    Eclair Jun 29, 2017

Viyat , Jun 29, 2017 :
    oooh that's crispy. I will give it another go for sure.
    But like you said Software update should iron out the kinks.
    I'm still really happy with it in general.

13. FanX
    Eclair Jun 29, 2017

14. karthik oneplus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 30, 2017

karthik oneplus , Jun 30, 2017 :
    Not in this image I guess always its capturing wrong... If you are a slr user then you will know how bad it is.. Probably if you have spot metering in manual mode then once check in that mode and see how it is working..

15. RAYK47
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2017

RAYK47 , Jun 30, 2017 :
    this always makes me laugh.

this is a phone with a camera not a canon EOS 6D. It will not be perfect.

I am sure it will take great shots of your mates drunk in the pub or the dog urinating up someone's leg. Selfies don't need to be hi res. Live with it.

salvo.cagliari and yfan like this.
  16. yfan
    Honeycomb Jun 30, 2017

yfan , Jun 30, 2017 :
    My camera works great. Love the picture quality. I don't take photos of moving objects in the middle of a dark night much though.

17. salvo.cagliari
    Froyo Jun 30, 2017

salvo.cagliari , Jun 30, 2017 :
    you are right man!! Maybe is for the hype created around this phone but some people are pretending a reflex quality!!!

18. riegfra
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2017

riegfra , Jun 30, 2017 :
    my first impression is that the camera deliveres better pics than the one of my Xperia Z5

19. Gensosan
    Gingerbread Jun 30, 2017

20. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Jun 30, 2017