One Plus One v Galaxy Note 4 Comparison

1. curryboiinz
    Gingerbread Dec 24, 2014

curryboiinz , Dec 24, 2014 :
    Hey everyone,

After using the OPO for a decent amount of time, I recently acquired an Exynos Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Below are a few of my thoughts, and in conclusion, which phone I will continue to use (for the time being).

OnePlus One:
    • I am a BIG fan of the customisability of CM11s on the OPO. The ability to change themes on the fly and the overall stock look and feel completely outclass the dated and garish look of Touchwiz on the GN4.
    • Battery life - the OPO as we all know is capable of getting some pretty insane numbers. I have noticed through my use of both phones that on average, I get a higher SOT on the OPO than on the GN4
    • Storage - having 64GB on board on the phone is amazing - not having to worry about deleting files for storage is such a pleasure (more on storage for the GN4 later), and coming from a phone with 16GB, it was so cool to have extra space to download music and apps.
    • Performance - Both phones are screamers when it comes to in app performance, but I have noticed that I got less 'stutter' on the OPO than I did on the GN4, when opening and closing apps, scrolling through the launcher, etc.
    Galaxy Note 4:
    • Build Quality - the addition of metal really does make a huge difference folks. Waking up in the morning to that cold feel of the metal sides and the rigidity of the phone is truly amazing. I never thought I would say this but I believe that the GN4 has a better feel in hand.
    • Touchwiz - as much as everyone bashes TW for its looks, it really does have some great software enhancements. Split screen multitasking is AMAZING - and it should be a standard for all large screen devices to really make use of that extra real estate. I also really like the S-Pen enhancements - just for scribbling down notes or making snapchat masterpieces (speaking of snapchat, I have noticed that there are significantly less crashes of apps on the GN4 than the OPO).
    • Screen - the 2K display on the GN4 knocks the socks off the OPO (and to be fair, the OPO has a great one). Its just.. so vibrant and everything seems to have a pop to it (IIRC, you can also adjust the screen tone in case you don't like the oversaturated default settings, but I don't mind at all)
    • Camera - the camera on this phone is a beast. Some of the photos that I have taken (especially on a recent holiday to Australia) to my eyes look spectacular - overall I feel that the camera experience (using the app, quality of photos etc.) is better on the GN4 than on the OPO.
    • Expandable Storage - The utility of having expandable storage is amazing - I recently purchased a 128GB Micro SD card, taking the total storage space to over 150 GB (overkill perhaps.. but I have stored several seasons of TV shows I am binging at the moment with ample space to spare). In saying this, the phone has 32GB onboard storage, and not everything can be transferred to the SD card. I would have liked to have a higher base storage but hey, it is what it is.
    • Battery - as I mentioned higher, the OPO for me is getting better SOT than the GN4, but the GN4 has a removable battery and the rapid charging feature is awesome - being able to give the phone a quick booster during the day when I have a spare half hour and extending the phones battery life for hours extra is a utility which I find very handy).

After using both phones, I have decided for the time being that I will stick to using the Galaxy Note 4 as my daily driver - what led me to that conclusion is the stellar camera performance, the screen quality and size, and the fact that I can store all the media I want and have space to spare. I

This is probably unpopular opinion on this forum especially, but I am open to discussion comparing these two stellar devices and i'm interested to see what others think!

Cheers :)

M4ENY, fconvoy, somdutt and 17 others like this.
  2. ronoldo
    KitKat Dec 24, 2014

ronoldo , Dec 24, 2014 :
    Good review.... The Note 4 is definitely a great phone.. I've seen other reviews...

siocnarf13, Ceasedd and AuntieAnn like this.
  3. lostLambda
    Lollipop Dec 24, 2014

j3ffr3yli and mvmsaikrishna like this.
  4. poodster
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2014

poodster , Dec 24, 2014 :
    Good review man. You deffiently highlightes the differneces between the two. There are deffiently great things about both phones. I feel that if samsung does not fix touchwiz to the point where it looks better and performs like sense 6 or stock android, it will be hard for me to get into samsung's phones. I could use many of samsung's features in touchwiz

tabascouk and chrisman051 like this.
  5. mwebsterpgh
    KitKat Dec 24, 2014

tabascouk likes this.
  6. brian.milligan62
    Froyo Dec 24, 2014

brian.milligan62 , Dec 24, 2014 :
    I agree the #SGSN4 is certainly a beautiful piece of kit with some of the best technology and experience out there. I might be giving it a closer look in March. Off contract it comes with a very large price tag. In the meantime I am looking forward to the lollipop update on the #OPO.

I came across this video review as well...

Top 5 mid-range smartphones of 2014!:

Happy Christmas!

7. SugaDew
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2014

8. ailiu
    Froyo Dec 24, 2014

9. Debajyoti Pal
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2014

Debajyoti Pal , Dec 24, 2014 :
    Nothing unpopular. What you shared was your experience. Keep it up.

chrisman051 likes this.
  10. mkrmec
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 24, 2014

mkrmec , Dec 24, 2014 :
    I hate cold metal on phones, and I use a TPU case, so a metal band is useless to me. No point.

TW can have lots of enhancements but its still slow and all the crap it brings is available on the play store anyway. No point.

1080p is more than enough,, AMOLED displays are awesome but still don't have the white pixel and so it uses too much power, price wins. No point.

Camera on OnePlus is great, it can be improved and I hope it will be,, but ofc the Samsung sensor is better. Point.

Storage, I don't seee myself using up 64 GB let alone 128 GB+. Why do you need tv shows on your phone anyway?? Traveling a lot? I use my tablet for that stuff. No point.

Battery, how much does OPO charge in 30 min vs SGN4? I doubt it's a big difference. Some kernels for OnePlus One unlock. The full charging power I hear. No point.

I myself am never paying for a Samsung device until they remove shit from TW, have a good design of a phone,... And drop prices ;-)

robertjb777 likes this.
  11. fonze
    Honeycomb Dec 24, 2014

fonze , Dec 24, 2014 :
    The note 4 is beast and i would have got it if not for my finances for the money opo is no slouch at least till my funds catch up to my phone dreams :0)

12. curryboiinz
    Gingerbread Dec 24, 2014

curryboiinz , Dec 24, 2014 :
    To counter your points you made I offer you this:

1. Your opinion. I personally find that a metal finish adds to the luxury of the phone, much more than plastic does, and at the price point that the note is placed, luxury is what a customer should get.
    2. You know, I was initially in the same boat as you bashing TW, but after using the Note 4, the hate is severely blown out of proportion - sure there is a stutter here and there but its come leagues ahead of what it used to be. Also, I don't think you can find split screen multitasking, S-Pen support, windowed apps etc. as apps on the play store (do provide links if I am incorrect).
    3. I would argue against the fact that AMOLED displays use 'too much power'. If I recall, having a pure black display actually does not power those pixels, and many of the apps I use have an 'AMOLED' mode which turns parts of the app black.. doesn't this technically save power?
    4. Why do I 'need' TV shows? You are right, for my job now I travel a LOT - and I don't find the need to carry both a tablet and a phone, when a 5.7" high res display does the job for me. Having the external memory allows for choice in the types of media that a customer can put on their phone, without being limited. I don't see any downside in giving the option of cheaply expanding the storage (#neversettle).
    5. Oh the quick charging makes a HUGE difference. As a case example, I can charge from 20% - 85% in 30 min of rapid charging, and the OPO does not get near that amount because the charger does not support the high amp rapid charger.

robertjb777, Skf123 and chrisman051 like this.
  13. abadiloveyou
    Gingerbread Dec 24, 2014

abadiloveyou , Dec 24, 2014 :
    I wish they include three features in the new OPO and it will be the best phone ever

1 making the battery removable.
    2 putting an external micro sd (so you can save you sensitive data outside the phone )
    3 introducing 128 GB

14. mkrmec
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 25, 2014

mkrmec , Dec 25, 2014 :
    1. Again a smart person puts some kind of protective case on the phone, whats that usually made of? Plastic or TPU. So why do you need a metal phone which is going to be inside the case 99% of the time.

2. SPen and stuff like that is bull crap and multi window support on a below 10 inch device is just stupid. Theres no proper space to take advantage of. The pens and styluses work good with a good touch sensor... If they don't bring down the touch lag to 1-5ms it's weird to use because the lines you draw always lag behind. 99% of the time the pen will stay inside of the phone anyway. Pointless.

3. Yes amoleds save lots of energy with black backgrounds, but with white, which most apps and the internet is made of draw more power than regular lcd panels. The white pixels that shoukd be included into amoled displays already would solve that, but samsung didn't brought them yet. It's called RGBW.

4. With having a micro sd card manhfacturers have to pay M$ royalties. If I wanted that much space I'd go with a OTG cable and hook up a 1+TB drive.

5. Charging is already faster on OPO than most phones. The phone lasts a long time, longer than SGN4 and not fully charging supposedly kills the battery faster. I always charge it to 100%. SGS4 has that advantage,, for me, it doesn't really matter.

Still not worth the extra money over OPO.

azp3 likes this.
  15. curryboiinz
    Gingerbread Jan 1, 2015

curryboiinz , Jan 1, 2015 :

Hey, I don't use a case on my phone (I never have for any of my phones - the joys of working for an insurance company) - hopefully that doesn't make me a stupid person :p

I would disagree wholeheartedly that multi window is how you say... "bull crap". It works. Having two apps side by side and able to transfer info from one to another without opening and closing apps is actually a genuine timesaving tool, as much as you think otherwise. I am of the firm opinion that this feature should be a standard one in Android, especially when phones nowadays have the hardware powerful enough to run multiple apps at once. The S-Pen in the Note 4 also does not have the 'lag' you speak of.. not noticeable to me anyway. Its actually pretty darned sensitive.

With regards to Micro SD card.. I couldnt give a damn what royalties companies have to pay (if any) for using Micro SD. As a consumer, that doesn't affect me at all. Rather than using a USB OTG cable and lugging around a 1TB hard drive, I instead have the option of putting a Micro SD card the size of a fingernail into my device and have extra storage available should I need it. Once again I reiterate, its nice having the CHOICE should it be required.

Like I said in my OP, the OPO is a great phone with best in class value for money hands down. But its the little things that drew me to keep the Note 4 as my daily driver, one of which is, as much as it pains you to hear, the enhancements brought by Touchwiz and the inclusion of expandable storage and removable battery. But hey, thats why there are different companies making different phones right? Choice = good. Different strokes for different folks.

Skwij, robertjb777, Skf123 and 2 others like this.
  16. betatui
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2015

betatui , Jan 1, 2015 :
    Nice review. Where @OnePlus gets a +1 is the Price factor. Most of us will agree and to be honest, I'd love and like to buy a product that has the right pricing. All the best with you Note 4

17. asmh_9
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2015

18. geraldcortez
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2015

geraldcortez , Jan 1, 2015 :
    Yup.. for those who can afford, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is one of the best option right now... for me, I use Nexus 6 as my daily driver and OPO as backup.

brian.milligan62 likes this.
  19. asmh_9
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2015

20. zezo666
    Cupcake Jan 1, 2015