One Plus or T-Mobile USA?

1. znoxwl
    Cupcake Oct 30, 2018

znoxwl , Oct 30, 2018 :
    @cb620 would you be willing to do some digging and see if there's a separate IMEI hidden somewhere? If it's there then there's hope...

handheld_addict likes this.
  2. kamatsagar
    Froyo Oct 30, 2018

kamatsagar , Oct 30, 2018 :
    Do we have to rely on t mobile for software updates or is oneplus gonna push the updates? What happens to the software updates once we unlock the device ?

3. cb620
    Gingerbread Oct 30, 2018

cb620 , Oct 30, 2018 :
    The phone is back in the box and wiped. I listed it for sale on Swappa but if it doesn't sale than I will simply return and keep the extra gifts they gave us.

4. Xiujie Yang
    Eclair Oct 30, 2018

Xiujie Yang , Oct 30, 2018 :
    I have same questions anyway I will flash the frameware after 6t frameware available

5. chuckbort
    Eclair Oct 30, 2018

chuckbort , Oct 30, 2018 :
    Supposedly, the T-Mobile version has been "optimized" for their network. Does anyone know if the unlocked version is the same?
    Thanks.

6. mrhappysad
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 30, 2018

mrhappysad , Oct 30, 2018 :
    One of the more succinct replies I've read here regarding this issue. Thank you.

chuckbort likes this.
  7. KRG Royal
    Donut Oct 30, 2018

KRG Royal , Oct 30, 2018 :
    They are referring to the 600Mhz frequency which is band 71. It seems that All op6+ support band 71. I would reach out to a OP rep to be sure though. come back and let us know.

sxegti and chuckbort like this.
  8. therussiann
    Gingerbread Oct 30, 2018

therussiann , Oct 30, 2018 :
    I wonder if tech reps will know how to set up the APN now because the last few times I tried they had no idea what I was talking about.

9. Hoots2
    Gingerbread Oct 30, 2018

Hoots2 , Oct 30, 2018 :
    I'm thinking not only locked to T-Mobile, but loaded with bloatware....

10. chuckbort
    Eclair Oct 30, 2018

chuckbort , Oct 30, 2018 :
    According to what I have seen, there are only 2 additional apps on the t-mobile version.

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  11. kamatsagar
    Froyo Oct 30, 2018

From what I've read till now, you get an option at the beginning of your 1st time boot up settings about having the TMobile apps installed and you can say no.
    And Even if it did install them, there are just 2 apps. I don't think with 128gb anyone cares about 2 small apps.

Abhi Dahiya and chuckbort like this.
  12. LouieJ23
    Eclair Oct 30, 2018

LouieJ23 , Oct 30, 2018 :
    my concern is who's going to push out the software updates? if TMobile is pushing them out it could be possibly delayed vs when OnePlus pushes them out since TMobile will have to approve the update.

kamatsagar likes this.
  13. MarkMcCoskeyTech
    Cupcake Oct 30, 2018

MarkMcCoskeyTech , Oct 30, 2018 :
    Since it sounds like T-Mobile is willing to give me $300 for my 3+ year old Moto Nexus 6 (that hasn't been used for a year), looks like I'll be getting my first OnePlus device come Thursday. Looking forward to the 6.41-inch 6T.

14. risky1301
    Lollipop Oct 30, 2018

risky1301 , Oct 30, 2018 :
    I would love to get the phone directly through OP, but don't have all the cash upfront, so I will buy the T-Mobile version and pay monthly. I have to get something new from my Nexus 6 (Shamu)

Abhi Dahiya and MarkMcCoskeyTech like this.
  15. RCKniker
    Donut Oct 30, 2018

RCKniker , Oct 30, 2018 :
    Neither, I'll stick with my 6. Why buy the same phone without a headphone jack.

risky1301 likes this.
  16. kamatsagar
    Froyo Oct 30, 2018

Exactly! In general, this is what I can summarize about the TMobile device.

1. The T-Mobile variant comes as a locked device with 2 TMobile apps that too can be not installed if done at the beginning. You can get it unlocked by paying upfront instead of opting for their EMI plan or after the phone is paid off. The bootloader also can be unlocked by getting a pin which takes about a week.

2. The TMobile variant is a single sim one. They have basically just blocked out the 2nd sim slot in the sim tray. If dual sim would work by replacing the sim tray with a dual slot one after unlocking remains to be seen. That is, we don't know if they've blocked the radio firmware and the device has just 1 IMEI or if it's just a simple swap of sim trays and flashing a non TMobile Rom would enable 2nd sim.

3. I do not know if the software updates for this variant will be provided by oneplus via T-Mobile or oneplus directly.

4. All other features including network band support, software, functionality, etc is the same as regular OP6T.

Since I only just use a single sim, a single sim device is acceptable to me.

But, the software update thing is going to be my (if not everyone's) deciding factor to take the offer as i trust oneplus more than T-Mobile for software updates.

If anyone has any info about this, please let me know.

chuckbort and risky1301 like this.
  17. meirj25
    Eclair Oct 30, 2018

meirj25 , Oct 30, 2018 :
    *T-Mobile version doesn't have dual sim
    *You need to request to unlocked after40 days with tmobile sim
    *Tmobile bloat/apps can be uninstall

for software update I think Oneplus will handle it and T-Mobile will approve or certify it like what other OEM do

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

jrsystems and phillymade like this.
  18. risky1301
    Lollipop Oct 30, 2018

risky1301 , Oct 30, 2018 :
    I really hope that OP will still control the software updates!!!

19. TheRealElLeon
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2018

TheRealElLeon , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Hello All, I just finished chatting with a oneplus rep on the website and according to them there is no difference on the hardware aside that it's locked to T-mobile. More importantly, the rep said that software updates will be the same as one bought directly from OP. I'm still not 100% sure on it since I'm reading those comments that say it's not dual sim....but I don't really care about that and I'm only considering it because I still have my OnePlus One just collecting dust in a drawer. Might as well get 300 for it. I'll go ahead and paste the conversation below for those who want to read the conversation.

Michael

What is the difference between the T-mobile version of the 6t and the versio sold directly through Oneplus?

Chat started

Emmanuel

Thank you for contacting One Plus Customer Support, my name is Emmanuel, I'd be more than happy to help with your concern!
    Hi, Michael. I hope you're doing well.
    Thank you for your interest in our phone, we really appreciate it.

Michael

Yes I am, thank you.

Emmanuel

As for this concern, phone that are available in T-Mobile is actually the same with our phone that is in our official website. However, the only difference is that, phone from T-Mobile are locked while our phone from our website are unlocked.
    But when it comes to features, specs and performance, they're just the same.

Michael

and I'm assuming I'll be able to unlock after a certain period of time?

Emmanuel

As for that matter, I suggest to contact T- Mobile if they have this option.
    Since they will be the one to allow it or not.

Michael

Ok
    My last question is regarding updates

Emmanuel

Sure.
    Please feel free to ask.

Michael

will there be a difference on how updates are handled on t-mobile?
    I know generally updates through a provider take forever
    I don't want to end up getting it on t-mobile and it taking months for me to get an update the onplus pushed out ages ago

Emmanuel

Oh, as for that one, there will be no difference. The system updates that will be released will still be the same like with our previous models regardless on where the phone was purchased.

Michael

great, I think that's all my questions
    thanks!

Emmanuel

You're always welcome, Michael.

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  20. therussiann
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2018