One Plus or T-Mobile USA?

1. Cirkuit
    Cupcake Oct 31, 2018

Cirkuit , Oct 31, 2018 :
    I was considering purchasing the 6T through T-Mobile until I saw that like every other Android device manufacturer, OnePlus appears to have caved on allowing carrier branding and pre-loaded apps. I was hoping that OnePlus would have pursued an approach like Apple has where all phones are the same software experience which is not controlled by the carrier and devoid of any carrier branding. I guess I'll be passing on the T-Mobile variant, despite the fantastic trade-in deal.

I was hoping with a slogan like #NeverSettle that OnePlus wouldn't have pursued this path. However, in the pursuit of embedding itself more broadly in the US market, it appears OnePlus has #Settled for allowing carrier branding and bloat.

Edit: I'm basing my opinion on the information discussed in this XDA thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/buy-t-mobile-oneplus-6t-t3860314

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

2. samprocat
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2018

samprocat , Oct 31, 2018 :
    And this app you have mentioned is known battery user ......check out posting on Google play market.

3. samprocat
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2018

with my long-term T Mobile subscription experience.
    I will advise you to buy straight from One+
    Once you try and own Unlocked phone that is not filled with bloatware ( T Mobile app that is using your phone to track networks and act as Development tool for them to improve networking.... that is slowing down your device and using battery)
    you will never look back on buying ever again any phone from Carriers.

Xiujie Yang likes this.
  4. samprocat
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2018

That is good decision....
    I have been buying full unlocked phones for last 14 Years and there is no offering from T Mobile to convince me to buy T Mobile phone .
    If you are person that want ability to root or Phone that is designed by One+ the way it should be you will never consider carrier locked Phone.
    All this gimmick about certification is nothing but bloatware and control over software so they can make more money out each phone.
    I personally waiting for 8/256 from One+ and I have no problem paying out full price.
    And let's not forget that T Mobile will charge you state taxes so once you add this buying from One+ online without paying state taxes is priceless.

Xiujie Yang likes this.
  5. kamatsagar
    Froyo Oct 31, 2018

kamatsagar , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Yup, I totally get what you're saying. I myself have never bought a carrier phone in my life.
    But I have read reviews that are saying that in the device from TMobile, you get the option to have the bloatware installed or not, at the beginning of first time setup and you can say no to that.
    The offer from TMobile is the only reason why I'm even considering upgrading to 6T from my OP5.
    I am of course waiting on things to be more clear about all this esp software before buying. I hope it'll be clear in the AMA tomorrow.
    But yeah, if I find out that TMobile would be pushing the software, or that there is compulsory bloatware and other stuff, I'm gonna keep my OP5.

aenews and elitekernel like this.
  6. samprocat
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2018

All this gimmick certification is about another coding thrown over the top One+ software to keep your device in absolute control over various functions....
    Believe me what I'm saying I'm Developer on my spare time.
    And update even they synchronize to be on level One+ will still have effect on performance and battery life.
    So learn how to save money over the year and make new habit.
    Buy Unlocked phone straight from One+

kamatsagar likes this.
  7. kamatsagar
    Froyo Oct 31, 2018

kamatsagar , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Thanks man! If i decide to spend full price, I guess i'll rather wait for next year when OP is going to launch 5G variant and a possibility of snapdragon 855. Plus i guess till the the in screen fingerprint tech too would be more refined than now

8. elitekernel
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2018

elitekernel , Oct 31, 2018 :
    I agree, please let me know status of updates !!

9. LouieJ23
    Eclair Oct 31, 2018

LouieJ23 , Oct 31, 2018 :
    I'm not understanding the pricing with T-Mobile vs OnePlus. Something about TMobile charging tax and OnePlus not? can someone please explain? thank you in advance.

10. aenews
    KitKat Oct 31, 2018

aenews , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Pretty sure it'll have Dual SIM but the second slot will be locked if the device isn't paid off and unlocked.

11. tiemishuu101
    Froyo Oct 31, 2018

tiemishuu101 , Oct 31, 2018 :
    apparently you have an option when you buy the phone from TMobile to install their apps and if you hit yes, you can't uninstall. you also get a boot screen from TMobile if you buy it from them. and you lose the dual SIM functionality.

12. elitekernel
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2018

1541007846755.jpg

Visual voicemail I use, and if I need to change any account settings or look at my bill the TMobile app I don't use very often.

The ID app I have uninstalled, might do the same with the TMobile app soon. So it's really not much or even no bloatware.

I am concerned with the updates though. ☹️☹️

13. aenews
    KitKat Oct 31, 2018

aenews , Oct 31, 2018 :
    That's true. OnePlus never charges tax in the US. They never have.

14. znoxwl
    Cupcake Oct 31, 2018

znoxwl , Oct 31, 2018 :

Technically, both require sales tax. T-Mobile charges it upfront like most retailers. For OnePlus, it'll be the same as certain smaller online retailers in that you still have to pay taxes when you file your taxes for the year. This is rarely enforced though, so in most states, it's tax-free in that you don't have to pay if you don't volunteer the information and you 99.99% won't get into trouble.

15. samprocat
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2018

They are required by the law if they have branches in your state .....
    Usually purchase out of the state that is not same state where One+ is located are exempt from this law.

16. elitekernel
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2018

what about ota updates, I heard TMobile versions didn't get it or will be pretty late on updates to Oxygen Os , I haven't gotten the new update it's been few days now. ☹️☹️

17. samprocat
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2018

It has to go trough micro management and throw additional coding over the One+ update and make sure they still have control over your device....
    That is the nature of phone bought trough carriers.

18. Lorenzollc
    Donut Oct 31, 2018

Lorenzollc , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Nope. You have to download the TMobile app and the TMobile Tuesday app on your own. But nothing bloaty in there.

19. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 31, 2018

meatandy , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Edit

Band 71 = 600Mhz

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

20. tsmith1
    Cupcake Oct 31, 2018

tsmith1 , Oct 31, 2018 :
    LTE Band 71 is T-Mobile's band for 600Mhz,so both unlocked and T-Mobile version support 600Mhz