One Plus RMA Experience: False accusations and void of warranty

?

Have you had a poor experience with OnePlus' RMA service

1. Yes (Please only press if you have gone through the RMA)

71.0%
  2. No (Please only press if you have gone through the RMA)

29.0%
  1. alexpennos
    Cupcake Sep 25, 2015

alexpennos , Sep 25, 2015 :
    Same story here. Sent for the yellow tint issue. They were refusing an RMA for more than a month trying to convince me that it was not a hardware issue, even by copy-pasting pre-written replies.
    Ended up with a water contamination (NOT DAMAGE) excuse. A technical report from a third party company called "Handtec Repair Centre" and a proforma invoice of 220 euros for motherboard replacement.
    I also got a low resolution photo of "my phone" (i can never be convinced that this is actually my phone, see attached file).
    Totally unacceptable. Screenshot 2015-09-25 11.08.31.png

2. juliens
    Donut Oct 9, 2015

juliens , Oct 9, 2015 :
    Same Issue for me. After 3 weeks and talking to 7 different persons I got a completely unacceptable quote of EUR 220 because of a "liquid damage" report by "Handtec Repair Centre". I originally sent it in to repair my cracked screen. Otherwise the phone was working completely fine and I was still using it with an USB mouse after the screen cracked and did not response to touch input anymore.

I used the phone in light rain and tropical climate (I was in Southeast Asia for 7 months) but the phone otherwise never came near to water or other liquids.

Can you help me to understand where this indicator in the picture even is?

And if someone from OnePlus wants to look into it: Request #412626

#NeverSettle and move on to Xiaomi

Attached Files:

• opo.png
      opo.png
      File size:
      554.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

3. sbcece
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2015

sbcece , Dec 31, 2015 :
    Hello everyone,
    I have a very bad situation with Oneplus support.

I bought a OnePlus One phone on january 2015. Since, I was very enjoyed and I liked it.
    Since end of August-September, I began to have problems with text messages.
    I let few days to know from where it comes. No change ! So, I contacted the support on October.
    The technicianS (I got many mails with different people) told me to sent it to ICP in Spain, in charge for OnePlus.
    Then, I waited two or three weeks to have the bad surprise to receive it with papers saying that there was water in it so they didn't repair it. More, I had a second surprise : I couldn't no more call with it.
    My mobile network could not connect.

For a second time, I contacted the support to have more information.
    I sent back my phone for problems with text messages, and I got it back and it didn't work no more. What is for a "SMART"phone if I even can't make a call ?

I'm very disappointed and angry against OnePlus because I use phones since ten years. And the first time I got his situation. I precized I use OnePlus One the same way, I used the others phones in the past.
    More, I put so much money in a phone, which even can't work normally.
    I'm going to write a letter to the headquarters now.

The support is very bad.

4. w33bion
    Honeycomb Jan 2, 2016

w33bion , Jan 2, 2016 :
    The exact same happened to me 4 months ago, too. I feel very sorry for you, it's really a mess. The only difference in my story is that I had to do a remote before they finally allowed me to send them my OPO. But - surprise - after some days I received this message:
    After the first stage inspection, unfortunately we found that your device is also a case of water damage. But it is not our final conclusion and we are proceeding with the further inspection on your device. Please be patient for a few days.
    Luckily, one week after that they've send me this message:
    The final inspection of your device was done and we are happy to inform you that there was no case of water damage found. We are now ready to create your replacement order.
    I don't know why my OPO would have a water damage. When I see all these posts in the forums saying the same thing, I begin to think that's only a trick of Oneplus to save money. But why would they change their mind about the water damage of my phone then?

5. Deactivated User
    Jan 2, 2016

6. lukesan
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2016

lukesan , Aug 13, 2016 :
    Also following one from a friend very close by.
    He was on holiday in a really warm country and all of a sudden his phone started boot looping. So he emailed me and I proposed the process of a factory reset etc ... unfortunately the phone just rebooted before anything happened.
    After a week he returned home and decided to pass by me since I have 'a bit' of knowledge about this. Bootloop before recovery, fastboot .... etc. The phone was never ever exposed to moister or whatever. I know him, he is as precise on his stuff as I am, and yes mine looks like out of the box after 2 years.

So he emails support and gets the runaround with different address etc ... Repair finally get it and he receives this
    Total cost of the repair: 371,85 EUR
    The following failure has been diagnosed: AT4 concealed mechanical damage (write-off)
    The following parts need to be replaced: ONEP/Main Board(64G)
    ONEP/Front-cover combination(black)

I saw the phone and had it in my hands. It had no physical damage at all and they sent a photo of the indicator. I know if he says no water then it is no water. Especially if it has been working perfect all this time. if they can't provide pictures of a pcb that has oxidation then I call it ... .
    Also why front cover combo etc ..??????

So now repairs cost more than a new phone. I wouldn't consider it a smart move sometimes. I've had my personal share of issues with Oneplus support and it is a catch 22 situation since you can't open the phone to see if the moist indicator is red without removing the void sticker.
    But in this case they might loose a couple of customers.

7. wilks_teakle
    Cupcake Aug 31, 2017

wilks_teakle , Aug 31, 2017 :
    I bought my son a OnePlus 3 phone last September and it developed a fault last month. It was perfectly fine except that it could not send or receive telephone calls (not much use as a phone!). Wi-fi and all other functionality were fine. We sent the phone to be repaired under warranty, only to be told that we will have to pay £180 for the repair because it has water damage. This is ridiculous as the phone has never been in/near water. My son had it in a jacket pocket underneath another waterproof jacket on a rainy day when the problem started. The phones are not fit for purpose if they sustain "water damage" under these conditions. The water indicators they use are very basic and will change colour during normal use. Other companies, use much more reliable indicators that will only change colour with real water penetration. I am currently in dispute with OnePlus as they are insisting I pay for the repairs or pay £34 to have the unrepaired phone returned to me. This is outrageous and I will be contacting Trading Standards in the UK regarding the behaviour of this company if this matter is not resolved shortly.

8. Deactivated User
    Aug 31, 2017

9. Gonzo01
    Lollipop Aug 31, 2017

Gonzo01 , Aug 31, 2017 :
    calendar? :D

10. jonnysteeze
    Donut Aug 31, 2017

jonnysteeze , Aug 31, 2017 :
    Hey buddy, I saw this come through on my email, following all of the grief I had to deal with with one plus they finally folded after around the 1 month mark and sent me a new phone after they figured the error of their RMA.

I was lucky as when they sent me a picture of the device, it actually wasn't my device (I chipped the back panel so had to replace it with a 3rd party one, which didn't match the pictures they sent me).

I wish you the best of luck, but I would advise you stay away from this company, as I have now done the same, due to extraordinarily poor customer service.