One Plus tried to fight me on a refund.

1. cjackson234
    Eclair Sep 13, 2014

cjackson234 , Sep 13, 2014 :
    So, I started out very excited about my new phone. I get everything set up and head to get a new sim card. The rep looks at me and says the sim card isnt being read. Upon further inspection, we realize its actually defective. (You can see the pins are not striking the sim).

Understanding this is just a defect, I contacted OP about the issue, thinking it would be a quick cross ship and all would be well. Oh my was I wrong.

After a few automated messages, I found the good people in this "Technical Support" forum. After reading the horror stories, I immediately opened up a case with Paypal. (IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS, DO IT NOW.)

They were given 10 days to respond to my request for a refund from paypal. On the night of day 9, they contacted paypal and said they were working with me on the refund through them already. This was just not true. They had sent an email to me moments before sending a message to paypal. They made is sound as if I was attempting to get the refund twice. Instead of serving customers honestly, They have decided to play games to further delay claims.

I called paypal support, explained the situation and gave information on how to find this forum (Thanks for hosting this btw OP). Horrified, paypal is paying for overnight shipping to them, and closing the case in my favor.

I understand being short staffed and having limited product. However, I do not appreciate dishonesty. Telling paypal that I was essentially trying to cheat the system is not only pathetic, but it shows the depths you're willing to go to save face.

I will end with this: I love tech. I love being an early adopter. I fully understand being an early adopter means there will be bugs. We all went into this knowing we were playing with an underdog. However, if you spent a little less time putting out promo pics about how you're better than [insert new phone here] and a little more time here, with your users I think you'd be a respectable company. Without all of us, without dedicated users, you do not have a company.

xbenbox, mrchaos, ma1121 and 13 others like this.
  2. deaglecat
    Froyo Sep 13, 2014

deaglecat , Sep 13, 2014 :
    OPO need to be careful with paypal. they do monitor vendors performance and customer issues...

superchinook, lgoptimusyohan and Mad like this.
  3. tanr2001
    Gingerbread Sep 14, 2014

tanr2001 , Sep 14, 2014 :
    They have so far successful on using social networks to promote the One. But this types of things will quickly turns against them. Look at this forum. I question myself why the hell I even bough one.

superchinook likes this.
  4. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 14, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 14, 2014 :
    You guys can read about my nightmare here:
    http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/so-here-starts-my-nightmare-with-a-doa-phone-as-well.105353/

Yesterday I received a new response several days after opening a second ticket for the same DOA issue as the company completely ignored the first one. Now here's the reply I received, and I quote:

"
    Hi,

Would you mind If I assign this ticket to our technical support, they can provide better support at this issue.

Meanwhile, Could you provide more details by attaching some pictures or videos?

Best regards,
    Edward"

OMG!
    So please help me out here...who on earth or what kinda support group have I then been trying to contact or communicate with all this time for a DOA device, if NOT the technical support team?! So now after like 3 weeks waiting, 2 opened tickets and after the support team's initial request asking me to pay an additional EUR 147 for a touch screen repair, which was a total unrelated issue to a totally dead unresponsive device....they NOW are asking me if it's okay to pass my issue to the 'technical support' team for getting better help?!?!?!

I'm baffled, amazed, completely speechless. I don't think I've ever encountered such incompetence before in my life regarding a company support. They happily took my money, sent me a DOA unit and now they're just trying to stall and jerk people around :(

And for God sakes...what kind of a useful photo or video can I provide to "prove" a DOA device? Well, it's dead, silent, dark, unresponsive, does not power on at all. A 100% equivalent of a mock-up dummy phone. Do I just put a dead non-powerable phone on a table and take a mug shot of it?! To what end???

As of yesterday my Paypal dispute has been escalated to claim a full refund and then I'll be done with this idiotic company. I've said it before, and I say it again: IF a new company (well the owners are certainly NOT new to this line of business since basically every single one of them are former OPO employees) do not have a clue how to treat their early adopters, the company will not survive in the long run. You can not be a newcomer as a company, selling your first ever line of product very prone and susceptible to both hardware and software issues, some of them quite serious as well, and then don't give a rats a$$ about helping them out! I don't give a flying shit that they won't make any profit during their first year...hell, most companies don't make any kind of money during their first 5 yrs in the business but they still try to take care of their loyal customers.

I will discourage everyone I know from ever going anywhere near one of these units until they get their shit together and I have no idea how things are done in China, maybe Chinese people are much more gullible or simply too scared to claim their own rights, but unfortunately for this company, international customers will NOT "settle" till they get what they are entitled to. This whole thing is simply bullshit and even the Chinese companies WILL eventually learn their lessons and feel the heat to make proper adaptation. Customer support is EVERYTHING.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

5. Airbus
    Honeycomb Sep 14, 2014

Airbus , Sep 14, 2014 :
    Good on you for pointing out the forum to PayPal.

superchinook likes this.
  6. captainpotroast
    Gingerbread Sep 14, 2014

captainpotroast , Sep 14, 2014 :
    They did a similar thing to me . On the 8tth day of my PayPal claim, they said I was approved for a replacement but since I opened a claim they will only refund my purchase based on the refund policy. My phone is a month old so I knew they were trying to get me to cancel the claim and trust OPO to refund my money even though I didn't meet the refund policy guidelines.

I waited it out and PayPal was in my favor.....

Really sad of OPO to try and do that. I really wanted my phone replaced too, but as soon as they did that, I said to hell with it I want my money back.

superchinook and Andreagennari like this.
  7. topsales
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 14, 2014

topsales , Sep 14, 2014 :
    I will continue to monitor all the threads and continue to stress to everyone who has to deal with OPO and an RMA is to ESCALATE TO A CLAIM IMMEDIATELY! This is the only way to get your money back.

Don't stop any actions with PayPal until you get your money back. Do not let them promise to handle the issue if you cancel your claim. If you do that you can't go back to PayPal and open it again, because surely OPO won't take care of you without being forced.

As it has been said by others, PayPal watches company performance and if they continue to have poor performance they will lose PayPal as a payment option.

xbenbox, Airbus, superchinook and 3 others like this.
  8. Parinya-f
    Honeycomb Sep 14, 2014

9. macmus
    Honeycomb Sep 14, 2014

10. musicmadmac
    Froyo Sep 14, 2014

musicmadmac , Sep 14, 2014 :
    I spoke to PayPal recently, I closed my claim after support had offered me a solution to my issue. I would say now that if you have a PayPal dispute DO NOT close it until your problem is fully resolved. I had to raise another dispute because there were more problems with my handset and support stopped responding to my ticket.

superchinook likes this.
  11. Mad
    Gingerbread Sep 14, 2014

Mad , Sep 14, 2014 :
    @ the OP ... i think your blowing this out of proportion. Yes the support sucks but its more likely that they didn't even see your ticket till they got the final notice from paypal about your payment rather then they were trying to claim you were running a scam.
    Easy mistake to make when your worked up about something ...

12. deaglecat
    Froyo Sep 14, 2014

deaglecat , Sep 14, 2014 :
    ah... I thought only paypal dispute was allowed once.

hence if you start one then you need to make sure that the issue is solved. future issues are also likely to be a problem in that case too.

superchinook likes this.
  13. mactron
    Gingerbread Sep 14, 2014

superchinook, Dezavi and cjackson234 like this.
  14. knightluder
    Donut Sep 14, 2014

knightluder , Sep 14, 2014 :
    I think companies forget how customer service is just as important as the product itself. A fact that is missed highly. Apple built its entire brand out of it. How many Apple owners do you know state how much they love the genius bar . Its the main reason most people stick with apple products rather than buy other 's that have more fit and functionality for the users. Great customer service can definitely assist a company continue to be successful with inferior products.

superchinook likes this.
  15. macmus
    Honeycomb Sep 14, 2014

16. cjackson234
    Eclair Sep 15, 2014

cjackson234 , Sep 15, 2014 :
    Yeah, I highly recommend bringing this to a reps attention if you have the same issues as I have.

I appreciate your concern. However, this was not me connecting the dots for fun. I called paypal directly. The rep then read me the response from the vendor (AKA OnePlus). This is not an issue of me having a bad day. This is how they represented the facts.

You are right about one thing. The only reason why they took action on my claim is because they got a final notice from paypal.

mrchaos, superchinook, Mad and 2 others like this.
  17. singlefintj
    Honeycomb Sep 15, 2014

18. cjackson234
    Eclair Sep 17, 2014

cjackson234 , Sep 17, 2014 :
    So this morning I woke up to see OnePlus sent me a customer service satisfaction survey. I hope you all take the time to tell them this is not ok. They cannot keep treating support like an annoying afterthought.

superchinook likes this.
  19. musicmadmac
    Froyo Sep 17, 2014

musicmadmac , Sep 17, 2014 :
    Full refund given. OnePlus didn't replace my phone they just refunded due to the PayPal dispute.

Airbus and superchinook like this.
  20. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 23, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 23, 2014 :
    Good for you m8!
    But you did have to pay for the return shipping cost from your own pocket? Did you get any reimbursement for that as well?

superchinook and n19htmare like this.