One Plus X Lacks Important Frequences in the USA

1. Fstop
    Gingerbread Nov 6, 2015

Fstop , Nov 6, 2015 :
    Can this band 12 & 17 be added through software development, since there have been so many references to the ease of OnePlus adding them?

2. Fstop
    Gingerbread Nov 6, 2015

Fstop , Nov 6, 2015 :
    Oh right T-Mobile news room has no vested interest in whether or not we so smart buy less expensive comparable quality equip. They are not partnered with? OnePlus is an independent fledgling mobile phone game changer in this monopoly crippling American Economy. Most of this thread is nonsense, where r the solutions and alternatives?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

3. Esco_01
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2015

Esco_01 , Nov 7, 2015 :

4. Esco_01
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2015

Radeon962 and freddytireguy like this.
  5. Radeon962
    KitKat Nov 7, 2015

Radeon962 , Nov 7, 2015 :
    From Droid Life:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/04/oneplus-x-might-struggle-with-lte-in-the-us/

OnePlus announced the OnePlus X, a nicely designed, budget-friendly unlocked smartphone for the global market. At the time of announcement, OnePlus gave out a list of LTE bands supported by the device, which many noticed was very lacking in terms of US support.

We reached to OnePlus, asking if the list of bands was indeed accurate, and unfortunately, the company’s response confirms that anyone who purchases this device in the US may struggle with LTE connection.

As listed for the OnePlus X, bands supported are Band 1, Band 2, Band 4, Band 5, Band 7, and Band 8. Here in the US, to be a desirable unlocked smartphone, the device would need to feature Band 12 and Band 17, which is what AT&T and T-Mobile have for low-frequency coverage. The 700MHz spectrum is usually what gives you service while inside of buildings, in suburban neighborhoods, and across rural areas of the land.

The devices does come with Band 4 support, but again, AT&T uses Band 17 for most of its LTE network. If you were to use this phone with AT&T, your LTE connection may not be that reliable.

This is the response we received from OnePlus when we asked about the supported bands, and if there were plans to add support for Band 17.

The bands listed on the spec sheet are correct. We have no plans for adding more bands right now.

Even with the $249 price, there are plenty of other similar devices that can at least deliver a solid 4G LTE for a reasonable price. The Moto G (3rd Gen) is a prime example.

If 4G LTE is not a priority for you, that’s fine, and you can order the device starting November 19. Keep in mind, you will need an invite to buy it.
    The OnePlus One was an awesome phone. I got mine in July last year and used it for about 7 months before selling it. The camera was really the only thing that was not quite up to flagship standard at the time.

Esco_01, ijoeah and gorbuha like this.
  6. hotsauce
    Lollipop Nov 7, 2015

hotsauce , Nov 7, 2015 :
    What are your talking about? How come other "Chinese" company like Huawei can make phone that have most USA LTE but not Oneplus? This just shows that Oneplus don't care about the us market. Outside of China, they care more about India as evidence in Indian cupcakes getting OPT invites before Americans early supporters. And now America getting the opx after everybody else and lacking important LTE.

benluca likes this.
  7. Nicholas 99
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2015

8. megatomic
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 7, 2015

megatomic , Nov 7, 2015 :
    I'm going to go to my local AT&T store today to check out the HTC One A9. While I'm there I'm going to put them to the test and ask about the bands in my area. I really wish the OPX supported 700MHz. :(

meatandy likes this.
  9. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 7, 2015

meatandy , Nov 7, 2015 :
    I ended up using an app to find out.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&hl=en

The current band your device is using will be in the top left box , you may have to toggle that box until the current band is shown.

10. megatomic

11. darkchyldx101
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2015

darkchyldx101 , Nov 7, 2015 :
    There's mods that allow you to add bands. Not sure if it'll work with the the Oneplus X. There maybe custom roms that'll allow it. Wonder if they left those bands out cause they need more juice to run the lte bands which could be bad for the battery life of the device.

12. gorbuha
    Jelly Bean Nov 7, 2015

gorbuha , Nov 7, 2015 :
    Well the left out band 12 because they don't want to go through T-Mobile's VoLTE certification process... it means they have to spend time and money none of which they have... they are liars and mother *******...

13. Letray6
    Froyo Nov 7, 2015

Letray6 , Nov 7, 2015 :
    I would still have service correct? Just not LTE? I'm in college now and the Wi-Fi here is everywhere and rather great. So as long as it still have calling/texting everywhere/mostly everywhere I only see it as a slight foible.

14. megatomic

megatomic , Nov 7, 2015 :
    I went into the AT&T store today and talked with the manager who actually was somewhat knowledgeable about LTE bands and coverage (surprise!!). He pulled up some data on his tablet and showed me that Band 17 is a primary band in my county and actually throughout central Florida and that the future expansions in our region will include even more Band 17. I think I'm going to pass on the OPX, continue to use my awesome OPO, and when my work contract is up for renewal (company phone) I'm going to get myself an HTC One A9. Too bad though, I really like so much about the OPX.

15. ijoeah
    Donut Nov 8, 2015

ijoeah , Nov 8, 2015 :
    I think OPO should make it a lot clearer that the LTE coverage will be far from ideal for major areas of the US. No compromises? Maybe its time to change their slogan.

16. EniGmA1987
    Eclair Nov 8, 2015

EniGmA1987 , Nov 8, 2015 :
    The One A9 has a vastly inferior GPU inside it making the phone horribly useless for a modern smartphone. If it cost $200 then sure it would be a worthwhile phone, but not for the Price carriers want for it new.

17. megatomic
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 8, 2015

megatomic , Nov 8, 2015 :
    I don't touch the GPU on my OPO nearly enough to justify having it to be honest. And my out of pocket expenditure on the A9 will be $0. My employer maintains my cell phone contract and I am due for an upgrade so it's not a bad decision on my part to keep on a contract, it's the way business is done in my company.

18. AKS4
    Eclair Nov 9, 2015

AKS4 , Nov 9, 2015 :
    Yes, that would be correct from my understanding.

Additionally, I spoke with a couple of AT&T technical representatives trying to determine what LTE bands were in my area. Their responses had me more confused, but did seem to ease my worry some on LTE coverage.

In short, they claimed the usual "we use 2, 4, 5 & 17 throughout all US Territories". He further claimed that band 17 (700Mhz) was mostly used for talk and text service, as well as slow data speed (whatever that means) Bands 2 & 4 were for the "more advanced" services like high speed data. Additionally he linked me to the FCC site, and I got out that for my area AT&T has FCC licensed towers for 2, 4 & 17. Therefore I should be covered with LTE, and jumping from a non-LTE device I should only notice improvement.

The non-lit capacitative keys bug me though. I like the lit capacitative keys on my wifes Lumia 830.

19. 1briang
    Eclair Nov 10, 2015

1briang , Nov 10, 2015 :
    Why not get the HTC one a9?

20. 1briang
    Eclair Nov 10, 2015