One Plus X Lacks Important Frequences in the USA

1. sovereignty
    Froyo Oct 30, 2015

sovereignty , Oct 30, 2015 :
    My OP2 has pretty good LTE reception (T-Mobile) in Chicago downtown and suburb, definitely better than the HTC One (M7) that I used for the last two years. So this Oneplus X is a downgrade from OP2 in this regard? I already redeemed an invite of Oneplus X, and will buy it anyway when available, just a classic beautiful phone.

2. nyzproof333
    KitKat Oct 30, 2015

nyzproof333 , Oct 30, 2015 :
    My Frost 6P will be here on Tuesday! Congrats!

I also bought the OPO as an early supporter (May 2014) and did but the 2 as well. All good devices (the OPO was the better of the two) and was considering the X as a decent backup but not sure. For the record IMO the company sucks but the products are a good value.

Radeon962 and gringoboy like this.
  3. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Oct 30, 2015

Ceasedd , Oct 30, 2015 :
    :eek: I'm in.?! Source please.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

Tobikage likes this.
  4. ho_shin_an
    Froyo Oct 30, 2015

ho_shin_an , Oct 30, 2015 :
    That's the whole thing. America's never been their focus. I think it's the very reason they don't include NFC in the device. No usage of that here in Asia so we literally don't need them

nyzproof333 likes this.
  5. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Oct 30, 2015

TakeMyMoney , Oct 30, 2015 :
    So, roaming in the US is pretty much out of the question?

This makes it a problem for Europeans too.

6. gringoboy
    Lollipop Oct 30, 2015

gringoboy , Oct 30, 2015 :
    Explain roaming to me. I've never had it switched on on any phone I've ever used, but I'm from the UK. Not trolling, just curious. Do European folks actually use It?

nyzproof333 likes this.
  7. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Oct 30, 2015

TakeMyMoney , Oct 30, 2015 :
    I am from the Netherlands and going on a business trip tomorrow to the US, with my OnePlus One. I have no doubt that will work, but will the X?

8. Nekoxiu
    Eclair Oct 30, 2015

Nekoxiu , Oct 30, 2015 :
    If you guys aren't going to use your invite, can you pm me the invite please? Been using the iPhone 4S for 2 years or more and been looking for a cheap upgrade and the One plus X seems great since it looks almost the exact same and I've been waiting to get back into android for a while.

9. jerrymilton
    Jelly Bean Oct 30, 2015

jerrymilton , Oct 30, 2015 :
    I live in the middle of NO WHERE with the closest neighbor a few miles away here in Texas and yet T-Mobile Band 4 comes in like charm on my OPT. it is always the " sky is falling" and "deal breaker" crowd on this "OP sucks" forum.

10. Cedar11
    Honeycomb Oct 30, 2015

Cedar11 , Oct 30, 2015 :
    I've gotten terrible reception with my OPO inside buildings, I am on T-Mobile. I also live in a large metro area. I literally cannot imagine the reception indoors being any worse than I have experienced with the OPO.

The X has LTE band 2 which the OPO does not.

I wonder which is more important to have band 2 or band 17? I guess it depends on the area.

11. paintedblack
    Eclair Oct 30, 2015

paintedblack , Oct 30, 2015 :
    T-Mo's "coverage map" doesn't give you the info you actually need, but from some quick research, looks like it's all the way here. Spotted from Salem to Seattle as well.

That's my understanding too. So I reckon if I'm in an area that does have B12 but also Bands 4 and 2, lack of 12 is not much of an issue for me. Or should I be concerned?

12. paintedblack
    Eclair Oct 30, 2015

paintedblack , Oct 30, 2015 :
    ^ This. I'll see your 4S and raise it an HTC One S that I've been rocking for three years, takes about a minute to open a new message, and gets me probably under an hour on-screen time. Need invite. For phone. So badly.

I honestly can't find something comparable as far as specs and price. I really want a 5" screen.
    Even in comparison to the OP2, the Nexus 5X, Moto Pure X, Alcatel Idol 3 aren't worth it. Do you have solid recs of 5" (ish) phones under $400 that'll play with T-Mo in the States?

13. B29Korn
    Froyo Oct 30, 2015

B29Korn , Oct 30, 2015 :
    Roaming means using your own sim-Card in a different Country with different carriers. for example i have an o2 plan which includes an EU data Flatrate thus i can surf anywhere in europe without paying extra or using a different sim-card

gringoboy likes this.
  14. gringoboy
    Lollipop Oct 30, 2015

gringoboy , Oct 30, 2015 :
    Thanks for the explanation. Tbh, I usually just buy a local sim, but I don't go to Europe so much. I've only heard people say to make sure you switch roaming off on holiday without ever really analysing it.

nyzproof333 likes this.
  15. Cedar11
    Honeycomb Oct 30, 2015

Cedar11 , Oct 30, 2015 :
    That's exactly what I am looking for as well. The Nexus 5X seems to be the closest but its quite large physically compared to the screen size. Also the build quality is supposed to be lackluster.

I would buy the OPX if it had NFC and not worry about the lack of bands. Having bands 2 and 4 should get you more than enough coverage with T-Mobile

16. shanfran3
    Donut Oct 30, 2015

shanfran3 , Oct 30, 2015 :
    Your post gives me hope!!! How do you find out what band your provider uses in your area? I currently have an iPhone & just got my invite for the X but this whole thing is about to scare me off...

17. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Oct 30, 2015

18. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Oct 30, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Oct 30, 2015 :
    Google Le 1s. You will come across a huge article abt 1s, a giant TV, and an electric car Letv is willing to invest in. It is all over the net.

Ceasedd likes this.
  19. pbagshaw
    Cupcake Oct 30, 2015

pbagshaw , Oct 30, 2015 :
    I was very excited for this phone when it was announced. I received my invite, and I was on the verge of purchasing. When I confirmed the specs to make sure it was AT&T / T-Mobile compatible, I was very upset that the phone was missing Bands 12 & 17. I can tell you that there would be countless people turning in their Moto G's for this phone, if it carried the right bands for the USA. I personally would be turning in my Nexus 5 for it.

Please take this constructive criticism: Release a new version of this device with all of the necessary LTE Bands for the USA and with Vanilla Android (Whether stock or optional), and you'll sell tons of them.

svash likes this.
  20. gmanphx
    Jelly Bean Oct 30, 2015

gmanphx , Oct 30, 2015 :
    Does yours have the 700mhz band?

What part of the state?
    I've been wanting to buy the X for my girlfriend but no 700MHZ band concerns me.. Currently she's using an iphone4 and that doesn't have the 700 mhz band as far as I know. She lives in Abilene Texas on an AT&T service which looks like it has all the bands. When we've traveled around,she's had coverage in a couple of places that I've lost coverage and I'm using the AT&T towers with Straight Talk so I'm wondering how much it'd truly affect her reception.

Gonna be a difficult decision on whether to buy it or not.