One touch Universal Search from anywhere (Contact,Apps,etc.,) #PMChallenge

1. Roby John Donut Feb 7, 2019

Roby John, Feb 7, 2019 :
    GOOGLE SEARCH GIVES IMPORTANCE TO WEB CONTENTS FIRST.

SESAME & FAST FINDER APP GIVES IMPORTANCE TO LOCAL SEARCH.

MY SUGGESTION IS LOCAL SEARCH FIRST INTEGRATED TO ALL AREAS (DESKTOP, APP DRAWER, RECENT SCREEN & EVEN AS GESTURE ACCESSIBLE FROM ANY SCREEN) Even in Incall UI would be new.

Who are the users?
    Anyone who want to find things quickly rather than go through app drawers, contacts (within phone app) and within apps.

What is the proposed function?
    Search bar in dock (already exists) , Recent screen (recent stock android) and app drawer (Poco F1).
    Search bar is positioned below for easy one hand operation (very important & most needed). It is purely local search which is fast and without needing any internet

What is the user value?
    Search contacts and press direct call (icon next to search term) or message (icon) or email (icon) or simply enter number to save to contacts. User do not have to go to phone app and then search. One-touch Search and enter.

Search app where ever (Desktop, Recent Screen, App drawer), instead of going to app drawer and go through all apps.

Enter keyword and choose app. When user enter anything other than contacts or app, icons pops up (Chrome, Playstore,YouTube..) where he wants to enter it as keyword.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

1. An an App (Sesame with Nova Launcher)
    2. Pixel phone (Dock & Recent screen)
    3. Poco F1 (App drawer easily accessible positioned below)

But how can this be superior?
    1. Inbuilt. No required as separate app.
    2. In google widget or Pixel phone, there is a lag especially for contact search and does not allow direct call with one touch (either go to contact app or press down arrow mark to select function). It looks like it is not fully a local search.
    3. Not just app search, but contact search also.
    4. Both search bar and search result lines from below rather than from top(Sesame & current app drawer search bar position)

Be sure to:
    -Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented

Similar to fast finder, Sesame with Nova launcher integration, but within phone & customisable Search bar style and size even in recent bar and App drawer.

-Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen.

Given in the best possible way I can.
    1549545936184.jpg

1549545936242.jpg

1549545936308.jpg

All the best
    OnePlus 6 user
    Roby John

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

Ruby G., Diegoeo99 and Peybro like this.
  2. B_Wrath Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Google app search already does all this.

3. Roby John Donut Feb 7, 2019

Roby John, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Go through what I have suggested

Google app search is not fast as sesame app with Nova launcher integration . Try this, your opinion will change mainly with direct call facility.

2nd if the contact you want to call has many numbers, it is difficult as we have to scroll horizontal from what you look for. Not user friendly at all.

2. There is no app drawer search bar which is positioned below which help in all these functions.

4. B_Wrath Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

B_Wrath, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Google does have direct call facility.
    And there is an app drawer search. Just type the app name and it will pop up.

5. Roby John Donut Feb 7, 2019

Roby John, Feb 7, 2019 :
    In google
    Tap 1 (in widget) - Then type Name (first priority to Web search)
    Tap 2 (Find name with web search first)
    Tap 3 (If contact name not found within in the first three option given, then either continue typing or press Personal search)
    Tap 4 (Press arrow down)
    Tap 5 (Scroll through name of number what you saved as i.e "Work,Personal, Mobile, Landline)
    Tap 6 (Call)

In sesame
    Tap 1 (In widget) - Type name (with 1 letter both local apps and contact comes first)
    Tap 2 (Press direct call button - if only 1 number saved in that number, then call goes. If more than 1 number saved, tap shows list of number available & Mentions landline or mobile or work)
    Tap 3 (only if required, tap number from list - call goes)

just see images below. Just typing "F" gives contact list I was looking for in sesame (Local search first). In google it's not the case (Web search first)
    1549547862114.jpg

1549547862147.jpg

1549547862173.jpg

1549547862200.jpg

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 7, 2019 :
    just wondering:

1. settings app provides a search feature.
    2. launcher provides a search feature.
    3. for everything else, there is Google.

why you want another search?

I think more than search, people just need to get a little organised.

7. Roby John Donut Feb 7, 2019

Roby John, Feb 7, 2019 :
    For contacts, there is search bar in phone app, there is search bar in play Store also through which you can open installed apps . Even with that, I wonder what those 1 million downloads of Sesame app & 100k download of fast finder app is used for?

All apps can be accessed through desktop also, then I don't understand why app drawer is most used feature ?

why google, there is search bar in every application, phone, Files, Message

come on!!! there is apps for every thing , I understand. But this is about making things more easier with lesser taps.

Why did Pocophone emphasize on "bringing search bar to bottom position" during poco F1 launch. There could have positioned on top also like others.

The idea is about making all search in one place (faster local search first), quickly accessible from anywhere.

As I have explained before, google search does give results, but priority is for online contents first. ( see my previous reply with images of sesame app & google app)

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 7, 2019 :
    look at the downside:

if everything is available using a search, people wouldn't even bother to know their system, which means much bigger problems!

today, I know where to look for what I want, because I have some basic understanding of the system. and that's because I have explored it in some detail.

if everything becomes available at the tap of a button or with voice command, people will become over dependent on it and will eventually fail to troubleshoot basic errors.

the other point I want to make is this: sure these things would give a better user experience, but they won't actually make you any faster, contrary to what most think.

your suggestions are welcome from a UI/ UX perspective.

9. Roby John Donut Feb 7, 2019

Roby John, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Why is google spending so much on AI, though things can be done manually also (Every google search , Even editing of photos)?

You are thinking from the point of view of developer or techie.

I am thinking from the view point of users who would want to do things quickly sometimes.

When you are driving, there are two ways to know routes.

1. ask people on road, shops , explore everything and tour and detour, get into traffic and reach destination ( totaly fine, if there is time)

2. Ask google and follow google map?

which one does today's world prefer?