One Week with the One - Accessories Review

1. mrcharlesho
    Froyo Aug 13, 2014

mrcharlesho , Aug 13, 2014 :
    I've had the One for about a week now and absolutely love it! There are PLENTY of reviews online and on the forums of the One, so I'll skip that... Instead, I wanted to share some observations on a couple of accessories I've purchased for the One.

OnePlus One Flip Cover - $14.99

[​IMG]
    I've been looking at different cases for the One, and I bought the Flip Cover to offer some protection while I tried to fine the "perfect" cover. Suffice to say, I don't think I'll be looking for one anytime soon. The One snaps into the Flip Cover REALLY well, and is extremely secure. What surprised me the most is how strong and firm the Flip Cover is. I was expecting the cover to bend and give a little, but it's extremely firm. I also like how it automatically unlocks the One when you flip the cover open. Until there's a great waterproof cover, I'll be sticking to the Flip Cover.

OnePlus Screen Protector - $4.99

[​IMG]

I don't fully understand why we buy screen protectors nowadays, when most phones have Gorilla Glass screens, but I've definitely seen keys/coins scratch my phone screens before, so I almost always buy a screen protector. The OnePlus Screen Protector came in some pretty impressive packaging! It included the said screen protector along with two "Positioning Tab" stickers to help keep the screen protector in place as you align it, along with a microfiber cloth, squeegee card, and a "Removal Tab."

The process for installing was pretty straightforward: After cleaning the screen, align the screen protector with the phone, use the positioning tabs to "tape" the screen protector to the phone, remove the film from the screen protector to expose the adhesive, put the screen protector on the phone.

Everything went fine without a hitch, and there were very few bubbles. My main complaint is the sticker that was on the Screen Protector itself:

[​IMG]

The Red Tab with the #1 on it was very difficult to remove, and left a bunch of adhesive gunk on the screen protector. Everything else seemed top notch in terms of how well it was thought out and quality, so this was surprising!

Universal Qi Wireless Charging Receiver - $8.99 (on Amazon)

[​IMG]

A couple of months ago, AT&T had a fire sale and sold Nokia Qi pads for $5 each. I didn't have any Qi phones, but thought I might in the future... so I bought 5 of them! I have one at my work office, on my nightstand, on my kitchen counter, and am hoping/trying to get one set up in my car.

I purchased the Qi charging receiver hoping it would A: work with the One and B: fit under the OnePlus One Flip Cover. Good news, works and fits!

I know it sounds silly, but being able to plop my phone down when I'm cooking or at work, and having my phone charge a little bit is extremely convenient. I usually leave work with 80%+ battery life and almost never have to worry about my phone dying.

One things I noticed is the phone charges extremely slow. I know there is some loss from using Qi (about 15%) but I didn't expect the phone to charge this slowly! All in all, I have no issues since I have Qi chargers in so many places, but I definitely wish Qi would support the One's fast charging.

quelquehomme, yaltis, JFK1997 and 3 others like this.
  2. vaclav.bures
    Gingerbread Aug 13, 2014

3. mhlayf1
    Eclair Aug 13, 2014

4. NaterTots
    Jelly Bean Aug 13, 2014

NaterTots , Aug 13, 2014 :
    So with the QI coil. Did you put the back cover back on? Or the flip cover fits over the back so well you did without it?

5. JFK1997
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2014

JFK1997 , Aug 13, 2014 :
    Your phone charges that slow because those thin foil receivers only deliver like 500ma, the normal USB charger charges St 2100ma.

mrcharlesho likes this.
  6. mattuhat
    Gingerbread Aug 13, 2014

mattuhat , Aug 13, 2014 :
    Never thought about using qi coils before but thinking about it they'd be quite handy might look into it, thanks!

7. mrcharlesho
    Froyo Aug 13, 2014

mrcharlesho , Aug 13, 2014 :
    The Qi receiver is pretty thing, and the back of the Flip Cover fits over the receiver just fine.

8. Dravid
    Eclair Aug 16, 2014

Dravid , Aug 16, 2014 :
    Why do you need a screen protector when you have a flip cover that also serves to protect the screen???

9. SASWATS
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2014

SASWATS , Sep 7, 2014 :
    is Universal Qi Wireless Charging Receiver - $8.99 available in india

10. SASWATS
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2014

11. Avin0286
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2014