OnePlus 2 - AnandTech Review

1. Josh Swades
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2015

2. aenews
    KitKat Dec 15, 2015

aenews , Dec 15, 2015 :
    He probably never tried the Color Slider in Settings and probably never tried making it more color-accurate by sliding it to the right. Variability in the displays could also be part of the reason. I agree he didn't judge the display appropriately since he tested it while the display was specifically calibrated to be more blue. Everyone has their preferences regarding display temperature anyways.

magullo likes this.
  3. mayankkumar
    Honeycomb Dec 15, 2015

mayankkumar , Dec 15, 2015 :
    Well well well, this review is purely on the negative side of OP2 .

I have been using Op2 for like 3 months now, and the display(which the reviewer hates) is really good. Every techie friend of mine, who had a first look of my Op2 at lowest brightness, said wow, this display feels like so clean and qHD. It's FHD but still,the display is among the brightest at its price. Even MKBHD said wow,it felt like a qhd for once. color rendition could be calibrated better, but still its nice,and crispy.
    AMOLED screen would have been great ,but still ,very happy with the display.

Performance has been top notch. Whether its normal usage or heavy gaming and multitasking. It might be under clocked to prevent extreme heating, but as long as the usage feels utterly smooth and blazingly fast,i am happy. No lag at all,except for OS crash (on rare occasions)

Camera: Wow, its great. Day shots are simply amazing and beautiful. AF and OIS could be improved . But the pictures come out amazing. Colors are true to life and clear. Low light pics are also good. I am very happy with the camera. I compared it hand on with S5 and S6 and Op2 was second. But it did gave S6 a tough battle. Maybe QHD screen also benefited S6 .

Battery life- Great. Recently had enormous stand by battery drain but it was because of fitness apps ( 3 of them ) that used to stay awake for all the time. Turned them off,(when not using) and Stand by time was back to business. Battery performance has been good, and will get much better with Android M. And for me, charging time has improved with every update. Satisfied.

Build and looks- Beautufl. Every friend of mine says, wish my phone felt as grippy as yours and shined like OP2. Haha. True. The build is great, the metal rim shines . Great to look at. Sandstone is amazing. Looks good and grippy.

OOS- Almost stock like, with added extra useful features like app permissions(very useful) ..customization..all good but OOS is a bit buggy but hope next update rectifies it. Having a wifi issue ( check out my comment here
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/wifi-wont-turn-on.410355/ same problem with other smartphones(lg, samsung,micromax, so i think its a problem with my MTNL router)

Alert slider- Very useful. Use it a lot . Well built and the texture.Cool.

Fingerprint sensor- With latest update, it becomes dead sometime when screen locks by itself (after not using it for 15sec ) and when i try to unlock it via FP scanner,it becomes dead. Have to unlock it via PIN. But it will be fixed in next update. But before that, never had any problem with it.

So here is my OP2 review, i know its not very nicely explained, but you got the point how i feel about OP2.
    Thanks. #NeverSettle

4. Nyco30
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 15, 2015

Nyco30 , Dec 15, 2015 :
    Congrat to Anandtech to finally realize what most of forum members with a tad of pragmatism wrote from end of July until first week of August: meh :/

Baymax, Nevil Patel and Radeon962 like this.
  5. DPRmobile
    Donut Dec 15, 2015

6. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 15, 2015

Radeon962 , Dec 15, 2015 :
    My favorite back has always been the OnePlus One Bamboo. The backs for the Two just did not feel the same.

I found a new skin for my iPhone 6 Plus which is pretty close to the same feel as the OnePlus One Bamboo.

It is made by Toastmade and is a 3M adhesive (like used on a Dbrand skin) but with your choice of wood or leather backing. It is actual bamboo that is very thin, so I have no idea how long term wear will be, but for now it's pretty nice to the touch.

IMG_20151213_162253_resize_20151214_215416.jpg IMG_20151213_162416_resize_20151214_215415.jpg IMG_20151213_162441_resize_20151214_215414.jpg

cybreed, AntMunny and aenews like this.
  7. aenews
    KitKat Dec 15, 2015

aenews , Dec 15, 2015 :
    Nice! I have Rosewood, Bamboo, and Dark Apricot StyleSwap™ Covers. Got the latter two in the recent accessories sale, and it was totally worth it.

Radeon962 likes this.
  8. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 15, 2015

I'm not sure why the SD810 works well in the Nexus 6P but it does. The thing seriously flies with no hiccups. I have to believe it is more due to the beta nature of the OnePlus OS vs. stock Android. Down the road, OnePlus may figure some more things out with the Two to reduce the throttling but the 6P doesn't seem like it has the same issue.

AnandTech founder, Anand Shimpi, retired from journalism and went to work for Apple. The AnandTech site itself does not work for Apple. BGR on the other hand may work for Apple if you really want to read stories that are pro-Apple.

LaukikD, Rad1, dhavalmp and 1 other person like this.
  9. aenews
    KitKat Dec 15, 2015

aenews , Dec 15, 2015 :
    I dislike the stock core management and thermal controls. Fortunately the OnePlus 2 has some of the best development of any current-gen (S810) phone, and it's fantastic on Boeffla Kernel. It's more the default choice of settings than optimization or faultiness of OxygenOS.

10. mwayner
    Lollipop Dec 15, 2015

mwayner , Dec 15, 2015 :
    LOL! I first installed the half-baked CM12.1, just to see what a more mature and less fettered rom could do, slapped a custom kernel on the OP2 at first opportunity and never looked back. I understood, after an hour's use, what was it's primary problem. Don't regret getting it and, as much as I love my OPO, I wouldn't trade my OP2 for it. My view of Oneplus is that it provides excellent, affordable hardware for me to do as I please. So, I've reached the point with my OP2 where I couldn't care less what reviews, good or bad, have to say about it. My only issue right now is trying to persuade a certain kernel coder to further unlock it's potential. :p

Baymax, Ceasedd, Nevil Patel and 2 others like this.
  11. CyberT

CyberT , Dec 15, 2015 :
    I actually never adjusted the colors since for me they were amazing from the first moment I turned on the phone. For me it is the best LCD on a phone I have seen so far and I've seen a lot of phones.

Only thing I agree with is that OxygenOS sucks.

Nevil Patel and aenews like this.
  12. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 15, 2015

What phones have you compared it to? Try the Nexus 6P or Note 5 if you want to see how a flagship screen should look.

13. wmm
    KitKat Dec 15, 2015

wmm , Dec 15, 2015 :
    My eyes aren't good enough to detect minor color issues, so the screen calibration is fine for me. What I really like is that the screen is BRIGHT. I can see it outdoors.

The only things I would change about the OP2 are the useless, annoying USB C port (that resulted in the cable debacle, with no redeeming features other than being reversible), the loss of automatic timed quiet hours because of the notification slider, and the lack of NFC. Those are minor annoyances; overall, I'm very happy with it.

14. carl2210
    Honeycomb Dec 15, 2015

15. danielraghu

danielraghu , Dec 15, 2015 :
    Which kernel are you using, if I may ask?

I agree that for it's price you probably won't find something a whole lot better. It's definitely not as bad as that review makes it out to be.

16. danielraghu

danielraghu , Dec 15, 2015 :
    Can't say that I agree 100% with the review. Sure, the OP2 has it's fair share of problems but we already knew that. I've been using it for about four months now and I'm happy with it. I'd say my usage is fairly heavy and the OP2 hasn't had any problems keeping up.

The review did get one thing correct and that is the underutilised SD 810. Then again OP has been clear about that so you should know that before buying.

As for the screen, what the review says is rubbish. The screen is great! Is it the best screen out there? Definitely not! But the difference is not that massive.
    I actually found it to be too warm and have too much contrast. Couldn't fix the contrast but Oxygen OS does allow you to play with the temperature so that's not a problem.

Anyway, to keep things short I would have no qualms about recommending the OP2 to someone else. It's not the best on the market but it's a really good phone.

khaniq, sovereignty and Nevil Patel like this.
  17. magnamentis

magnamentis , Dec 15, 2015 :
    obviously i was lucky or we have a totally different phone: not to brag but to underline my points: i currently own 2 samsung notes, nexus 4, 5 and 6 as well a OPO and OP2, hence not many people can compare like i do from real life experience and not from hear-say, here are my comments:

a) display is as good as the OPO one, could be the same even, would have to look into specs

b) performance is outstanding ( boeffla kernel )

c) design and feel is great (a bit on the heavy side)

d) no heat issues, after all it's a phone not a play station and used as such it performs great

e) camera makes good pictures but is laggy, especially in darker environment (software of course)

f) Oxygen OS is unbearable for me. not because it's all bad, but that was bad i couldn't live with, hence i took first opportunity and can say that second build of cm13 marshmallow is already better and made me take it back out form it's box ( where i stored it waiting for CM13 ) great theming, LEDs are working as expected again and many other small things are back to normal now and will get better with further development of CM13 which is yet unofficial.

g) the price tag as compared to the ONE is exactly 100 bucks less inflation too high

h) if i would have to choose a device with no chance to change for 5 or 10 years i would choose the OPO because it's mostly on par but lighter and costs 150$ less. not that i care for the money but what i mean is value for money. considering NFC and other little things the ONE serves at least as well for much less

i) the OPO is a totally hasslefree phone for me with no issues and 100% pleasant experience while the OP2 has it's flaws like no NFC and heavy weight which in daily use is a downer. don't forget, i own them all and can compare directly. second best phone in my arsenal when it comes for all-around happiness is the nexus 5, then comes the nexus 6 due to it's great display, outstanding battery life but it has it's flaws. and then comes the OP2 while it could raise in my ranking when used with CM13 in a mature state for a while.

k) battery life is really good but not outstanding, about on par with the ONE but the wight is mostly due to a bigger battery which does not really last longer, which finally is a bad deal IMO

however, final judgement from my side, it's a great phone for a reasonable price but i think OP missed the chance to make themselves a big name by delivering a second whow..... device in succession. a missed chance is what comes to my mind considering my satisfaction with the 2, simply because other good phones got cheaper and/or better while OP2 only improved in theory but in practical live stalled or regressed (weight, nfc, price tag) while after the ONE there was no question that i'll go for the "2", whether i go for the "3" is doubtful. currently looking at "Ascent Mate 8" but then perhaps once the "3" will have proven itself and be reduced in price at the end of it's life cycle one could reconsider LOL

18. Kushinata
    Froyo Dec 15, 2015

Kushinata , Dec 15, 2015 :
    The key to reading the Anandtech review, and all reviews for that matter, is to determine if what they're saying is a) true; and b) important to you. For example, most of the early reviews complimented the build and the price/performance ratio, while criticizing the invite system and lack of NFC and fast charging. So you, as a potential owner, need to evaluate whether you value those things and whether the OP2 is a good compromise. Personally, I don't care about NFC and fast charging (my phone sits by itself charging from when I get home from work until the next morning), so those negatives don't matter to me.

The Anandtech review served us by introducing new data points into the analysis: browsing performance/core utilization and display color accuracy. From the comments in this thread, it looks like the color accuracy is easily modified. For browsing, it's another compromise that you need to evaluate for your personal preferences: would you prefer to compromise battery life for better browsing performance, and if so, what are you willing to do about it? Wait for software changes from OP? Install a different kernel? Buy a different phone?

19. mwayner
    Lollipop Dec 15, 2015

mwayner , Dec 15, 2015 :
    Boeffla. OPO and OP2.

danielr94 and Ceasedd like this.
  20. skyn3t
    Froyo Dec 15, 2015

skyn3t , Dec 15, 2015 :

I was going to quote more but I think all my Bud's put up all I think about OPT. Just to let you guys know back in the days almost any review site used to be good and real about it. Today any amount of $$ can screw almost any those review site bashing it Da S*** out any electronic. Way before I decide to jump on the OPT I head almost 60% is this forum regarding the issues on this phone. 40% what that I read is issue I found out almost nothing bad like people are saying. It works like a champ for me and I'm sure it does for a lot people. Android is easy to mess with the OS and than got it screw in end and blaming the company what not work well. It should be a way o know when the "USER" brakes it or not. The human nature won't let you admit that is your fault when something goes wrong "something that you did".

I received my OPT on Saturday, December 12, I have been using it like mad. I still can found any issue like all other people said. battery wise it has a 5.5 screen don't forget about it if you have brightness all the way up it going to drink your battery so bad. keep it where you can read all your stuff and easy for your eyes. Two things going to happen

battery will last longer
    your eyes not going to be straining for reading small text on a small screen.

This is something I read somewhere and I just going to point it out.
    " People with FP issue are those people with duty fingers or booger hunter. I LOL hard on this. Yes if your finger are duty FP won't recognize it at first "Im not a booger hunter LOL" I just had food on my finger nothing like any tissue can fix.

A lot people out there want to have the top capacity of your device, I know it and i have done it in the past not with mobile device but with GPU just google skyn3t vbios " Yes it me here now" I wish i had time to dig on this mobile stuff but sadly not, I have big's priorities in my life instead doing it. I take my hat's off for any developer because many of them has lived in two world like i was back in the days.

so
    AnandTech you can suck your review off and eat your OPT as desert.

PS: hard to believe but I'm all stock on this now.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015