OnePlus 2: Serious Thoughts and Discussion Thread

1. sidlittlefield
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

sidlittlefield , Jul 28, 2015 :
    I enjoyed the VR stunt. It was fun (especially compared to the boring Motorola event that I just watched). But you are right, it was all sizzle and no steak (or very little steak as people are excited about the camera & OIS, which I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about).

All that said, I don't think it was about the phone. I think it was maintenance on the forum and for the fans. Things haven't gone smoothly for One with the touch screen and CM and Oxygen, and....... They realize that their reputation had suffered so they tried to fix that last night. Plus the VR nature of the announcement was another marketing element. (I'm still pretty shocked that it went off as smoothly as it did). So they invite three forum members, show them a good time, give them privileged information, then sit back and watch everyone live vicariously through them. Those three guys didn't stand a chance. The whole experience was built for them to speak glowingly about the 2. It was pretty brilliant from a marketing stand point, but empty from a "give me more information" perspective.

All this said, I think it's going to be a good phone, and I may get one (but not immediately). My One is still pretty great.

@ahighfield Might be time for a stats post.

2. ahighfield
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

ahighfield , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Thanks guys! Nice to hear reasoned and balanced views.

VR is certainly a technology I am interested in and keen to see when and where the balance lands between cardboard and more immersive experiences/devices. But it is a bit scary also...

Inuki likes this.
  3. fazEp
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2015

fazEp , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Glad to see some are thinking straight here.
    To me NFC is no big deal, I did not use it a single time with the OPO. Not many occasions to do so in France.
    Else the phone seems really great, though the back could've been prettier. (oh and btw they gotta stop this bamboo/wood trend, I find it ugly as hell)
    I'm looking forward to the camera reviews... in fact, not just to the camera reviews, I'd like to know if it works as well as its intended before allowing myself to imagine buying it.

Now I just need the money....
    :confused:

Inuki and ahighfield like this.
  4. Param Kharoud
    Marshmallow Moderator Jul 28, 2015

5. ahighfield
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

Agreed. Innovative, am sure there is more to come...

re stats, have missed some of the fireworks (and saw some pretty big numbers today), if I have time to recalibrate everything now with the new sub-forums, will see what I can get out. I will be watching the invite forum in particular!!

Inuki likes this.
  6. verdabili

Inuki likes this.
  7. fazEp

fazEp , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Oh, and I like the "alert button" or whatever, this is one of the bigger things to me.

8. ahighfield
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

Inuki and PVS Kharoud like this.
  9. sanidhya77
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

sanidhya77 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    You did a quiet good research

10. EpicSwirly
    Jul 28, 2015

EpicSwirly , Jul 28, 2015 :
    I couldn't have said it better. It was fun watching the VR presentation, of course it was more marketing than anything but better than most keynotes.

I don't claim that the OP2 might be the best phone out there specs wise, but I think it's an overall phone with some odd omissions. Nothing deal breaking for me. Overall, I think the phone is a great deal given it's price.

brittonraya, ChrisTerp, Inuki and 2 others like this.
  11. martin47
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

martin47 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Nice thread. But here goes might upset some but it's honest.
    Well #hype... My arse under clocking is not a cure op2 is not never settle. Moto just pissed on your bonfire.. Price point and spec is what sold this phone.

Poor customer service
    Crappy invite system
    Wait an age for delivery
    And this is not a flagship killer,
    Where did it go wrong
    Your buying a Ferrari with a speed limit
    Initial antutu scores are awful
    OnePlus might just end up dead in the water with this offering. 8 months in price drop then no support as they fold
    I'm disappointed. Like a blockbuster movie, over hyped

12. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Jul 28, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Here are my thoughts, which I expressed in other discussions. If OP came up with these specs around April (at the same time Letv was announced), they would have a longer window to sell OP2 and earn more. Now, when everyone is waiting for October/November, when allegedly Snapdragon 820 is going to come out, this window is getting narrower and narrower. Apparently, OP had to compromise, as they could not sell their phone for $450 (ZTE ouitsmarted them in terms of price plus warranty, plus free JBL earphones), and decided to lower the price and lower some specs at the same time. The market now is so saturated that the prices will definitely fall and keep falling. Now comes Motorola, with two excellent models: one budget, the other - premium, and announces that the premium one will start from $399. The war is in full swing. It looks like OP will be forced to respond sooner rather than later. If they wait one year, the company will be in tatters. I think we should expect another device from them by the end of this year.

13. ahighfield
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

Why don't you tell us what you really think!! ha!

Thanks for being honest/direct. Actually, in substance (but not so much degree) can't really disagree with anything you say up to the last few lines (just because I think they can survive on the basis of their China customer base, but they are certainly not on a path to be Lenovo/Huawei/Xiaomi let alone Apple in their mid-term future based on this trajectory).

But as you say at the end, OP really need to move on from the whole "HYPE or GTFO" psychology and realise they have an opportunity to be a real company and compete if they can just find a reasonable balance between marketing/hype and focusing on getting the basics right (most notably CS and timely/honest communication/delivery on promises). Customers will only become less forgiving with each passing year and competitor phone release.

martin47, Inuki and veratoloz2005 like this.
  14. ahighfield
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

I hope they can hold it together until OP3. A Chinese colleague was telling me that they have started hiring Chinese celebrities to market their device in China. Marketing budget appears to be increasing rapidly...they probably do need a SD820 refresh of some sort if Oppo will oblige, especially if there are heat/battery/performance issues.

veratoloz2005 likes this.
  15. Allanitomwesh

Allanitomwesh , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Honestly for me the USB port not being 3.1 or at least 3.0 is the biggest let down. There's little to no pros on that thing

ahighfield likes this.
  16. Necronaut

Necronaut , Jul 28, 2015 :
    I would have liked more energy and enthusiasm from the video.
    Gota give it up to them for the creativity aspect of it.
    In all the ruckus, haven't actually sat down to drill through the specs.
    Price wise, seems to be fair for what you get.

17. phonehog

phonehog , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Just wanted to say I wasn't viewing the presentation last night but some of you have really highlighted the new stuff on the OP2 that it feels like I wasn't missing anything.

So just a thanks & kudos for this well thought out thread and the thoughtful comments.

Not the usual rant & whine thread.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

18. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Jul 28, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    You are absolutely right about the refresh, but I am not sure about their push inside mainland China. My feeling has always been that OP was created specifically to compete in the Western markets and serve a springboard for OPPO devices. How many phones can they realistically sell in China, where Xiaomi sells millions in hours and dozens of other manufacturers sell hundreds of thousands? I think they wanted to capitalize on a widening unlocked phones market in the West, especially in the USA, but other companies have caught up pretty quickly.

phonehog and Inuki like this.
  19. JuliusCes
    Froyo Jul 28, 2015

JuliusCes , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Thank you for your insight.
    I'm a bit disappointed by this phone. I didn't buy the OPO and was hoping to not miss this opportunity.
    My biggest disappointment is regarding NFC. Unfortunately their slogan "never settle" has betrayed them. I honestly feel that I'm settling if I buy this phone without NFC. The lack of USB 3 is a let down as well. It's obvious that you can't please everyone.
    The pricing is great but I hope they get the invite system right. Last year, I kept on waiting to get the invite and instead bought M8 because I didn't want to wait any longer.
    This year OP2 had the potential to be a flagship killer but missed on some key features. The competition isn't that great, all other manufacturers are trying to bring screens with 2k resolution which takes a hit on battery life. It's a good thing that OP2 stuck to the 1k screen resolution because battery life should be great.
    I agree with your other points. The features look great on paper. We wait to see how they will perform in real life.
    I give props for OP. They did amazing with the first iteration. And hope they can achieve greater success with the OP2.

ahighfield likes this.
  20. ahighfield
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

Yes, I think you are right also about plan to test global waters and the US in particular for Oppo (let's see how many similarities the Find 9 has to OP2), and as a long-term strategy against Xiaomi. But China market still must be a key market. Launch was live in China not pre-recorded and at least from a quick check now, it appears phone is available for pre-order already ahead of 4 Aug launch in China. They will sell many phones in China also as they did for OPO. It is definitely debatable which they view as their core market really though (ie Carl covers global and Pete is China). I think China keeps them alive, while global market is the icing/where the potential for them to hit it out of the park is. And you're also right, competition is pretty fierce outside China too...but I am not sure that others caught up, OP was always a minnow, the others are just starting to respond to specifically address the niche created by OP. The problem for OP is how do they move out of this niche and sell 5m phones, let alone 50m at a price that supports a properly functioning company (full hardware plus software competency, CS etc while satisfying "Never Settle" motto)...this could be a separate thread, but I am concerned "Never Settle" has now given way to "HYPE or GTFO"...

veratoloz2005 likes this.